Any forks?

Started by phooser, July 22, 2015, 06:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phooser

I'm interested in using this software, but looking through some of the code I saw static int joke_mode = 0;

static void
tweak_task( void* unused)
{
    struct tm now;
    LoadCalendarFromRTC(&now);
    joke_mode = (now.tm_mday == 1 && now.tm_mon == 3);
    if (joke_mode)
    {
        msleep(1000);
        joke_mode = display_idle();
    }

if (joke_mode)
        {
            if (rand() % 1000 == 13 && !RECORDING)
            {
                extern void bsod();
                bsod();
            }
        }

Are there any versions without stuff / has anyone looked through all the code to make sure there isn't any more stuff like that?

ItsMeLenny

"JOKE" is a module to allow Magic Lantern to boot safely.

Licaon_Kter

phooser

That link reeks of shitpost from the op, maybe this thread could be used for actual posts instead of people working out material for their future comedy career. My perspective is that all code in a program should assist in making the program more functional. Funny or not, its still trash code.

Licaon_Kter

There are like 4 people that can and do code right now for ML, and you want them to do what? Clean up their code written with passion like it's a corporate thing?

You want official/professional/corporate software, go use the camera manufacturers software, I heard it's great: https://luminous-landscape.com/rantatorial/a-plea-for-dng-again/

phooser

The only way magic lantern isn't making tons of money is if they aren't accepting money. Maybe I just don't understand the intricacies of comedy, but I don't really see a point in putting even the slightest amount of effort into something anti-functional. If they genuinely aren't making money, I obviously don't expect the code to be perfect, but then why bother sending passive aggressive jokes about how your work isn't appreciated in the first place? Just stop development, its not like they owe anyone anything.

Frank7D

I'm sorry, did you have a suggestion that is going to improve anyone's experience here?

phooser

The point of my post was to ask if anyone has read through the entire code to make sure there isn't any other troll features / anything genuinely malicious. If this is genuinely the only thing I guess its not a huge deal, but when the first 1-2 files of the code you look through already have something sketchy in it, I think my pov is hopefully a bit understandable.

dmilligan

Sometimes some people to do something called "fun." Sometimes "fun" doesn't involve always doing something productive at all times. Sometimes "fun" is hacking cameras and publishing the information produced as a result of said activities ("code") so that other hackers can have "fun" too and so that we can all come together and have "fun" as a community, building upon one another's "fun". Maybe a side effect of our sharing in "fun" results in something some people find useful for other than just "fun". Does that mean we should stop having "fun"? Does that obligate us in any way to cater to this who would like to have "not fun" with our product? Does that mean we should try to monetize our "fun" turning it into "not fun" and ruining our community?

phooser

fair enough, sorry for intruding

ItsMeLenny

phooser

people still use reddit?

Audionut

Quote from: phooser on July 22, 2015, 08:04:49 AM
My perspective is that all code in a program should assist in making the program more functional. Funny or not, its still trash code.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.  Here is my problem with yours.

Where is your contribution to this project?  It doesn't need to be coding, there's a bunch of stuff you can do to contribute to this project that doesn't involve touching one line of code.

Quite frankly, to poke your head into a community, share something that is nothing more then your own personal opinion about how things should be done, without first having contributed to the community, and against something as harmless as a joke ffs, is nothing more then arrogance!  Want to make your opinion actually useful, contribute.