5DIII - Rack 42U Promotional

Started by Ali Oliya, July 21, 2015, 09:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali Oliya

My first project with Magic Lantern

Shot on Canon 5D3 (MLV 1920 x 1280)
EF 24-105L f4 , small dolly skater, 1*LED 336 , SanDisk 64Gb 160m/s
MLVs mounted in windows using MLVFS
DNGs processed in After Effects using ACR and VisionLog then exported as DNxHD 10bit . Imported in Premiere for Edit and Color Graded with Osiris LUTs (M31)

your criticising comments will be highly welcomed!

https://vimeo.com/133994527

beauchampy

Nice rack  :o

Seriously, to make something like that look this good - great job!

Ali Oliya

@beauchampy thank you! glad you liked

DeafEyeJedi

Great work and very well exposed! I enjoy the dolly shots and am so very glad that MLV RAW can actually make this well all-around lens with 24-105L look sharper than when shot in H264 even at f4 -- If it weren't for ML RAW, I would have sold my copy of this somewhat kit lens long ago. *whew*

Did you use Crop-mode in any of the close up's? Did you make any adjustments in ACR with VisionLog prior to exporting as DNxHD 10bit to be color graded later with just one LUT (M31) -- correct?

It's actually even more pleasing to see someone not being afraid to push down the blacks... Love it!  8)

Thanks for sharing @Ali Oliya!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Ali Oliya

@DeafEyeJedi
Thank you so much and im very glad you liked it...  yes 24-105L is slow but an all-rounder and its been a while im using it for industrial/product photography/ videography and covers most of my needs.

the dolly skater was light and so the image stabilization of 24-105 helped a lot to prevent the tiny bits of shakes however to make the movements as smooth as possible i used warp stabilizer.

QuoteDid you use Crop-mode in any of the close up's?
I didn't use crop mode at all...most of the close up shots were in 105mm and gladly it was enough close to do the job.

QuoteDid you make any adjustments in ACR with VisionLog prior to exporting as DNxHD 10bit to be color graded later with just one LUT (M31) -- correct?
in ACR i set the sharpness between 15-25 and adjusted the WB and in some shots i pulled the exposure down to match the other shots. in some few shots i added clarity...in some shots i used Recovery slider to recover the highlights. in the shots where there is color indicators i changed the Saturation and Luminance sliders to pop the colors... in one or two shots i slightly played with brightness and contrast slider to match the contrast of the shot with others. almost in most of the shots i loaded the profile for 24015L to correct the distortions. so yes there were slightly different adjustments for each shot before the DNxHD export. In premiere to match the looks i had to do some basic color correction to some of the shots before applying M31 LUT.

in this particular shot in ACR i used manual lens correction and "Full horizontal and vertical perspective correction". the outer frame of the rack is a composited still photo. i used PFTrack to mathmove it:

Canon eos m

Could someday do a how to video on the matchmoving part .. really interested to learn!

The other things is about the blacks .. my 5DM3 + 24-105mm combo produces some really ugly blacks (grainy and pixelated) - mostly in the shadow area of the skin. Any suggestions on how to tackle this will be helpful.

Cheers!
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Ali Oliya

QuoteCould someday do a how to video on the matchmoving part .. really interested to learn!

would be happy to make one...however there are tons of helpful videos on YouTube for camera tracking and matchmoving with PFTrack or AE's built-in plugin (3d camera tracker)...also Digital Tutors's tutorials are very good and easy to learn step by step.

QuoteThe other things is about the blacks .. my 5DM3 + 24-105mm combo produces some really ugly blacks (grainy and pixelated) - mostly in the shadow area of the skin. Any suggestions on how to tackle this will be helpful.

upload some samples here so that we can help you figure it out. my guess is you are shooting underexposure..i always use ETTR and shoot as bright as i can with higher ISOs then pull the exposure down in post to remove the possible noises.