No automatic ISO in 50D

Started by dreamtranspray, July 10, 2015, 07:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamtranspray

hi i started ML on 50D. Raw movie is too heavy for me. so i now try to h264, mov, movie.
DO you think h264 in 50D is not so good image?
and DO you know how to stop adjusting automatic iso during recording?
i just want to shoot my movie in the exact darkness.

Thanks for your help!

ansius

• there is no sound in 50D, so it has to be recorded separately and synced in post
  • 50D is not good in dark, ISO 800 is the top usable, I would not ever go higher while filming

So in essence 50D is not a good choice for filming in dark and, tough it has potential if used as RAW camera if enough light.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

dreamtranspray

HI thank you for your reply.
I got a nice lens for canon but I don't have enough money. That's why I have to shoot with 50D.
I have two problems. I use macbook pro.

1: I shot in RAW. and i can see the footage with a good light on the camera. I thought the footage is really good. then I tried to convert from .RAW to .DNG with RAWMagic Lite. then I checked on Finder and only I can see is a green DNG files. I put them on DaVinci. this is the first time that i can see the footage on my mac. but the footage is too dark. the black part is completely dead.
Do you think the setting on the camera is the problem? or the way convert? on DaVinci?

2: Then I tried to shoot it on .MOV. The light is good. looks perfect for what I want. But the ISO of the shot changes while I shoot. So when something white comes across the shot, the ISO goes low and after it just passed ISO goes high again and shot turns so bright. I just wanna fix the ISO, shutter speed and aperture while Im shooting. Do you know how to do this?

halbmoki

I can't help you with RAW-video, since I haven't used it that much yet. It's supposed to be pretty good with the 50D, though.
Fixing the exposure settings for video is done by activating Expo. Override and ExpSim  in the Expo tab of the settings while using manual mode. When Expo. Override is deactivated, video will have auto exposure, no matter what other settings you use.

The 50D is not a bad camera for video, unless you need sound and even then, synching with an external recorder isn't that hard. High ISO can be a bit of a problem, but even 1600 ISO isn't completely unusable in my opinion. For very dark scenes, I sometimes use FPS override set to 20 and "low light", which gives almost 1/20s exposure, as opposed to the usual 1/60s when using 30FPS and 180° shutter. Sure, it looses the "cinematic" look, but it's better than nothing.