7D raw resolution: question of curiosity

Started by nickxc, July 02, 2015, 08:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickxc

first off I just want to say ML is probably the single most useful tool i have ever used when shooting video with a DSLR (if not slightly behind a c-stand), so a big thank you to everyone involved in its creation.

long story short, I recently bought a 7D to pair with my t3i(600D) so I could avoid renting, thus keeping costs down for clients on a tight budget.

I started playing with raw video on the 7D just cause I could, and I have been blown away by the improvement in quality.

So my question:
I understand that there is a limit on the max resolution you can record without cropping (1728x???) but why? Is it because of how canon designed the camera? or could the max resolution be increased by further ML development? Ive been hunting for the answer, jumping from post to post, but it has eluded me. I am really curious to know, but wont die if i don't find out, BUT I MAY OBSESS!

I am a long time lurker on forums but this is my first time actually using one, so if i break some kind of rule I'm sorry.

Walter Schulz

RAW recording is "grabbing" Liveview feed. And liveview has just that resolution because Canon is using line skipping in video mode (uncropped). Only every third line is actually used. Take sensors pixel number and divide by three.
Only exception is 5D3 using binning instead of skipping and (unconfirmed) 7D2. And 5D3 pixel numbers are just fitting Full HD x 3.

"Full screen silent pics" option is able to use every single pixel but it is too slow for realtime video.

To put it together: Nope, devs can do magic but not bypass all limits implemented by Canon.

vyskocil

... but in x5 zoom crop mode the max resolution rise greatly, but then we are limited by the memory card write speed and by the live preview not showing 100% of the frame...