1. HDR vs RAW?
  HDR record audio? how bout raw?

Walter Schulz

LU72

Agree with Walter.

And If you were to say: HDR vs RAW vs Dual ISO, it would be:

Apples vs Oranges vs Jet Fighter

:)
600D (T3i), Vivitar Battery Grip, Sigma 17-70C, Canon 10-18 EF-S, Canon 1.8 50mm STM II, Sigma 70-300 APO, Speedlite 430 exII

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dfort

Ok guys, you had your fun.

Quote from: hunnylees on June 26, 2015, 05:46:15 PM
1. HDR vs RAW?
  HDR record audio? how bout raw?

What I think hunnylees is asking on his/her very first post on the forum is if it is possible to record audio with HDR and raw video.

HDR video alternates between two iso settings on each frame so you have to split the video into two streams. You don't need to load a module to work with HDR video. There are several tutorials showing how to work with HDR video but I haven't found how people are working with their sound. Technically, it should be possible if you slow the video streams by 50% in post.

As for raw video there are two options, the original raw and MLV. The original raw module (raw_rec.mo) doesn't work with audio but MLV raw (mlv_rec.mo) can record audio as long as you also load the audio module (mlv_snd.mo) and configure it in the ML audio settings.

Throwing in the Jet Fighter, Dual ISO (dual_iso.mo), this should be your best choice if you want to maximize the dynamic range of raw video without having to work with two video streams and still be able to record audio--as long as you use the MLV modules.

By the way, I believe that HDR video predates Magic Lantern raw video and was originally designed to extend the dynamic range of H.264 video. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Does this answer the original post? hunnylees are you still there? Welcome to the ML forum, a.k.a. the Shark Tank!

Danne

Audio is included to transcoded hdr file when transcoding the files in cr2hdr-r. It utilizes a script created by use jerrykil.
Preferrably use it in 48, 50 fps or you have to interpolate frames back in post.