Convert Raw to MLV possible

Started by swinxx, June 26, 2015, 08:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swinxx

hello, i tried to search the forum but found no result, so i would like to ask:

is it possible to convert old raw files (i have a bunch of them - normal and dual iso stuff) to the better and newer mlv format.
that would be really great because i now use mlvfs and it only works with mlv files.
mlvfs also handles dual iso files really great. so perhaps someone can provide a working solution. thank you very much.
swinxx

swinxx

Does anyone know if it is possible? Thank you

Danne

I saw g3gg0 mentioning something about this but it is not possible right now I think.

exomonkeyman

Hey i could be completely wrong here and may have misread the question.

But i think Magic lantern RAW viewer can transcode RAW's straight to MLV's (in bunches as well)
No idea if this is what your looking for.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.0

swinxx

please correct me if i am wrong but as much as i know mlrawviewer can only transcode to dngs or mov files.

dmilligan

I'm not aware of any tools that can do this.

swinxx

@dmilligan:
since mlv is here i have never used raw, but before mlv (when raw was still without audio) i shot some sequences which are now really important, also some dual iso stuff.
so do you think that it could be possible to create a tool which can convert raw files to mlv files.

thank you very much. sw

dmilligan

Well it's certainly possible, but I personally don't have the need for or time to write such a tool.

g3gg0

its possible and quite easy. didnt have the time yet to do that.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

mothaibaphoto

I have a lot of "old raw" files too. It's easy to convert them to dng, even Dual ISO ones. I don't see the point to convert to MLV.

Levas

What system do you use windows or osx ?
What format do tou want to end up with, DNG, MOV ?

g3gg0

well, there is a good point in converting them.
some tools are only able to read MLV but not RAW.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

swinxx

Hello i need dngs.. And for conforming reasons i always use mlvfs, but sadly it can only read mlv files. So i thought that it would make sense to convert raw files to mlv files first. Greets

DeafEyeJedi

Agreed. This definitely would be a handy tool to use. Also have a bunch of old RAW files that I wouldn't mind converting to MLV.

Would be glad to help & participate to make this tool possible asap.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

swinxx

hello ml team!

i kindy want to ask if there is any progress in creating such a tool?

thank you

g3gg0

bouncyball

Hi everyone

@ master g3gg0

As I see the RAW format is still popular or at least with us. Personally I really would not mind subtracting darkframe from a bunch of my old high iso RAW files. Would be so nice to have RAW to MLV(Lite) conversion functionality implemented right into RAW2DNG binary.

Or maybe adding RAW input to mlvdump, making it a unified tool, is a more correct way?

Regards,
bb

dmilligan

The point of mlv_lite is to drop support for the raw format altogether (to eliminate the only reason the raw format is still "popular"). There would no longer even be a need for raw to mlv converter (or raw to anything converter for that matter). All raw video files produced by ML would be the same format: MLV. In this way, mlv_dump will become a "unified" tool without even needing to be modified.

bouncyball

@dmilligan

Thank you for your reply. I wish I had the C programming skills like you guys :)

I fully understand mlv_lite point and the situation in general, but what about lots of old (pre MLV) RAW files which we'd really like to keep as RAW and preferably converted to MLV and not DNG for using with latest mlraw processing tools (mlv_dump, mlvfs...).

I do have RAW files and I'm sure everyone does who also used it in situations when performance boost been a priority.

regards
bb

Audionut

Yeah, it's probably a little bit ouch, but welcome to the world of beta testing.

To create a RAW to MLV convertor would require a bulk of time from a developer to develop the software, which would be used by few, once, to create the files, then be useless.

I can't speak for all developers, but I would resign myself to the fact that those RAW files will no longer receive any support, and look for other solutions to the problem.

a1ex

I'd rather consider it an easy coding task. Anyone with basic programming skills can do it, without any exaggeration.

No reverse engineering needed, the code would run on the PC, the file formats are documented, there are several open source converters available, in different programming languages...

jtvision

It feels like everyone enjoys technical process of making videos and not actual storytelling thru means of moving pictures . You geeks are funny folks! Why would anyone keep acquisition format! Wouldn't it be convenient to keep your work as video?  Even if you think you might re-grade your work differently in future, would you not keep them in dng or prores/dnxhd log?

bouncyball

@jtvision:

Why a lot of pros keep huge libraries of original raw still images from their cameras and not DNGs?

2 reasons:

1. Not every present software supports DNGs. Orig RAW keeps some more info and software developers prefer it as input. DxO is an example.
2. Technology constantly moves forward and every time it advances, bigger the chance to interpret your raw content better (more quality and detail, less artifacts etc)

Not every content deserves keeping in acquisition format. But that's another story :)

regards
bb