Canon 600D - in Firmware Ver. 1.0.2 w/o ML installed

Started by anthohknee, June 24, 2015, 03:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthohknee

I'm sure I'm not the first to have this similar issue, but I couldn't find any previous threads dealing with this matter so I apologize if this is a duplicate, anyways:

I had ML installed on my T3i for a few weeks now and it suddenly disappeared a couple days ago (I don't remember how or what happened) and now I'm trying to reinstall it, but I'm unable to because my Firmware is already installed at 1.0.2 and it won't let me, anybody know what's wrong?

Let me know, thanks.

Walter Schulz

Format card using cardreader.
Format card in cam.
Use EOScard or Macboot to make card bootable.
Delete all contents from card. Do NOT format card, just delete all files and directories.
Copy extracted ML contents to card.
Startup cam.
Report.

anthohknee

That worked, thanks a lot, and if I want to install the nightly build onto my 600D, do I delete v. 2.3 and replace it with the nightly build file? Just making sure...

Walter Schulz

Yep. Delete autoexec.bin, ML directory and *.FIR. Copy *extracted* contents to card not zip file itself.

randymadden

FYI: In the latest Nightly Build apparently the Fonts.DAT file is missing.  I first installed v2.3, that went fine.  Then I installed the Nightly Build and got a yellow screen saying Fonts.DAT was missing.  I then copied that file from the Data folder in the 2.3 zip to the Data folder in the extracted Nightly Builds folder, tried again, and it worked.

Walter Schulz

Sorry, you did it wrong.
Delete old ML directory, delete Autoexec.bin, delete *.FIR and copy extracted nightly build contents to card.
Read text in Download page.
What are the disadvantages of nightly builds?

- You may be running untested code. New developments now happen in branches, and what ends up in the nightly builds is usually tested by the developers on at least 2 or 3 camera models. However, we no longer have the time and resources to test every new feature on every camera model.

- Some features may not work as expected - please report bugs here.

- No documentation - the only help for new features is a small line of text, and ML source code.

- No guarantees - if it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.

randymadden

Walter, thanks for the quick reply.  It turns out I spoke too soon anyway.  Even though I get the green screen saying SUCCESS, it doesn't seem to be actually installing.  When I get to the firmware screen it shows the ...102 - ml.2 file.  I say OK, it says SUCCESS, I take out the card and replace my shooting card, I turn on the camera and ... nothing.  No difference.  The firmware screen still just says 1.0.2.  No matter how many times I press the Delete button I get no other menus.

I've gone back and repeated the steps above (twice), stopping at v2.3 to check to see that at least that part is working, but I get the same results each time.

I know it's user error - I'm still doing something wrong.  Any idea what?

Thanks, Rm

Walter Schulz

I suppose you formatted your card.
- Use EOScard (Windows) or Macboot (OS X) to make card bootable.
- Wipe all contents from card but do not format!
- Copy extracted nightly build contents to card.
- Startup cam.
Report.

randymadden

Walter, I did this: 

Format card using cardreader.
Format card in cam.
Use EOScard or Macboot to make card bootable.
Delete all contents from card. Do NOT format card, just delete all files and directories.
Copy extracted ML contents to card.
Startup cam.
Report.

Before I can do your last instructions though, I have a 600D.  So I can't go straight to Nightly Builds, I have to install v2.3 first, then upgrade to Nightly Builds (at least that's what the website says).  But I have 2 questions: After I install v2.3, and it says SUCCESS, once I reboot should the firmware read anything other than "1.0.2"?  In other words: is there a way to know if it really succeeded, or it just thinks it did?  Also, should I be able to get the ML menus after the v2.3 install, but before the Nightly Builds upgrade?

Thanks, Rm

Walter Schulz

v2.3 zip contains a very detailed installation guide covering most installation issues.
Please go with it and report results.
Yes, if you installed v2.3 your camera should run v2.3 after reboot.

irvcobb

RM, I could be wrong myself, but I'm not sure you understand the way ML works and what to expect. ML does not change the firmware in the camera - it runs from the SD card. So you'll never get ML if you don't have it installed on the card you have in your camera when you turn it on. With ML on the card and the camera turned on, you can press the trash can button on the back of the camera to show the ML menus. Until you turn on some ML options, this is the easiest way to see if ML is running.