Canon 600D / T3i

Started by Avenger 2.0, June 16, 2015, 10:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaingaroo

I just realised I have another problem now

reading the instrucciones again, carefully. It says to check the size of the firmware file formed after the self-extractor creates it.
QuoteThe name and size of the firmware update file can be checked on the website.
But, of course, only the name and size of 1.03 is on their website.

Does anybody have the info for 1.02?

I'll try a bit of googling

Walter Schulz

Audionut

Fixed the first post.  Better?

spaingaroo

spaingaroo

A successful installation following those first page instructions. Thanks for the  instructions. Thanks for the software.

In case anyone else comes along with the same question. Re: size of file of firmware v1.02 after extraction.

file name: CCF11102.FIR, file size: 12,232,284 bytes

aleks223

Hi,

I see the nightly build for the 600D fail 1-2 tests. Which version could I install which optimally would pass all the tests?

Walter Schulz

There is none passing all the emulator tests.

QuoteThese tests are automated - if they fail, there might be either a real bug in the tested build, or a bug in the emulation. The only way to tell is by testing on real hardware and comparing the results - your feedback is welcome!

PeteM

Assuming this is the correct location to post following(?)...
So I was already running a compatible firmware version/ML build on 600D/T3i for years (fmwr 1.0.2), and stupidly installed Canon's 1.0.3 last night. Have not been able to succeed in any downgrade attempts back to 1.0.2. Working directly off SD card for all downgrade attempts (not connected to Mac 10.6/Utility for any of my tries)...
I believe I've tried everything in firmware update (downgrade) attempts! When I have 1.0.2 on SD only, camera hangs between starting firmware upgrade step and screen where I would pick the version... red indicator LED blinks slowly is all that happens. Blank/black screen. If I put both firmware 1.0.3 AND 1.0.2 on SD card, I can get further through the upgrade steps in camera... actually selecting the 1.0.2 version from LCD menu (I see both versions displayed), but shortly after receive message on lines of "sorry buddy, this ain't happenin' remove battery"
Any tips on how I can force camera back to 1.0.2?? (or, what are chances developer is possibly going to tickle ML file to be compatible with this firmware version (1.0.3), esp. considering age of the 600D?)
All help much appreciated! Use ML lots and miss it already...

Walter Schulz

If you have a spare card with 32 GByte (or less) capacity:
- Format card in cardreader
- Remove and insert battery
- Insert card in cam and format again
- Copy Canon firmware file CCF11102.FIR to card.
- Insert card and battery and startup cam.
- Downgrade to 1.0.2.

Report back. And avoid crossposting.

PeteM

Hello Walter. Thanks for taking the time to reply. All of those things I'd already done repeatedly to no avail. However...
(and this is where it gets weird)... This morning I downloaded another copy of the 1.0.2 firmware from a different site, and repeated the usual steps. This time it worked!
To review, I had a 1.0.2 firmware copy originally downloaded from Canon stored in three places (on the card in camera itself - the one from which ML normally runs), a dedicated installer card (from which I updated the camera back when I first started using ML) and on my computer.
None of these three worked as described in my original post. Afterwards, I searched and found a copy of 1.0.2 online at a major (reputable?) support site, and tried using that one also without success.
This morning I risked a download of 1.0.2 from a site that I did not recognize as reputable, meaning it wasn't a major or common site relative to photography, however this copy successfully installed (down-graded) as expected!
Some relevant (??) data: All of the firmware files referenced in this exercise are exactly the same file size, and equal the size referenced in the "read me" included in the downloads. The ONLY difference is that all of the ones tried prior to the final successful attempt were downloaded as .dmg files (I'm on a mac)... and this morning's came as a ZIP file!
Regardless, glad to have ML back in service, and thanks again.

Walter Schulz

Thank you for your feedback.
BTW: Those Canon firmware files linked in this site (=download pages) are not dmgs but exe or zip which will be expanded in macOS/OS X without troubles.
You may want to run MD5 or CRC32 check on those FIR files to see if there are any differences. File size doesn't really say that much about file integrity.

ashelgeek

Hi, Movie Restart is missing in my T3i menu after installing . Someone could help me resolve this please?

Here's Build : magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jul03.600D102

Walter Schulz

It should be there, according to feature matrix
Movie tab -> Movie Tweaks -> Movie Restart

jderenty

Hi, everyone

I followed installation guide 15 minutes ago.
It's not finished yet, still showing upgrade screen

What should I do ?

PS : I just remained what I missed : I did not format from camera, but from my computer

PS2 : the camera shutdown itself, and I could start it, problem solved !

Regards

a1ex

Quote from: mk11174 on May 06, 2018, 05:53:20 AM
I tried this on both 1.02 and 1.03 and I get the exact same results, no problem with Format changing option with Q button in Live View or Without Live view.

As for ML submenus, these can be used only while in Photo Mode without Live View, once you turn on Live View or Moviemode, it seems like Q button no longer works with ML menus to get in the Submenus, BUT, the Play button seems to work as the Q button. So I can get in and out of Submenus with Play button and Q button in Photo Mode no Live View  and In Live View or Movie mode only Play button allows use of Submenus.

After chatting with a 600D user, I have finally understood what this report means. TLDR: menu navigation is broken in the lua_fix branch on 600D and 1100D.

Yes, PLAY works like Q in this branch, but it was a change meant for EOS M and other cameras without this button. This change in behavior shouldn't be considered "normal" for 600D (and other related models); that's a serious bug (in my opinion) that I need to fix before merging lua_fix into mainline.

Where does this bug come from? The 600D uses two different (!) button codes for Q: in LiveView vs photo mode.

7C5CB> **INT-36h*:00cb7730:00:00: *** mpu_recv(06 05 06 05 01 00), from ff1db6d8                     ; BGMT_Q (used in Canon menu)
693B8> **INT-36h*:00cb7730:00:00: *** mpu_recv(06 05 06 20 01 00), from ff1db6d8                     ; BGMT_Q (used in LiveView)

The unified branch uses two button codes (so it works fine). With the recent cleanups for Q button, I was hoping to get rid of some of the complexity, but it looks like that duplicate button code wasn't there without reason. Other cameras don't share this issue - 550D uses the first code in both LiveView and Canon menu, 60D uses the second code in both cases, 1100D appears to behave just like 600D. 1200D appears to be like 60D. Some older notes on this:

Quote from: a1ex on May 02, 2018, 11:42:05 AM
This issue is quite puzzling.

I could easily identify this button code in QEMU. Canon firmware accepts both codes - the new one is used in recent cameras, so that makes a bit of sense. The only models still using the old button code are 1100D, 600D and 550D.

550D/600D/1100D/1200D in QEMU: old code (05 01 on the MPU side) is translated into PRESS_DIRECT_PRINT_BUTTON, new code (20 01) is translated into PRESS_UNAVI_BUTTON. They both do the same action on Canon UI (e.g. activate the settings screen).

550D clearly uses the old MPU code (05 01).

Oh well, such a simple nitpick, so hard to get it right without proper testing feedback...

At least I can now test both button codes in QEMU, i.e. I have everything I need to fix it (no need to capture further logs or other stuff like that).

Edit Dec. 23: test builds posted, please report back.

DualPlatform

What version of ML are you running on your Canon 600D/T3i's?

I've used ML 2.3 for years and finally decided it might be time to upgrade.  Having not been on the website in many years I pulled the latest "nightly build" for the T3i (Latest Build: 2018-07-03)  So far so good on a new 64GB SD card.  I still have 2.3 on each of my collection of 16GB cards.

Finding the new interface a bit easier to navigate.  Haven't ran into any issues yet.  I mostly use ML to help with video/audio adjustments.  The Zoom Focus box is probably the main reason I use ML.

Thanks to anyone still rocking a T3i and ML who responds.

irvcobb

I'm running a development version of ML 20180704 Nightly on Canon's v103 firmware. Been testing it for a few months with no issues. Wouldn't do without it.  :-)

dfort

Glad to hear you're having a good experience with the 1.0.3 firmware update. It would be great to get some comments on the pull request.

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/915/update-to-600d103/diff

irvcobb

Old guy who can't figure out how to add a comment. I've been using the 103 version since maybe June. No issues whatsoever. Shot a few thousand clicks and a little video.

hirez

Hi, first post here....
I am currently on a 40D and since ML has not been available I am considering getting a 600D to play around with ML and as a video recorder for family videos.  Do you think this is a wise choice?  I have considered all options and even though the camera is quite old I can get a reasonable deal and as a second camera for ML/video it seems to me the best bang for buck available. 
Opinions/suggestions?

Stephen88

Hi guys I'll buy a 600D in next few days, the latest build is the most stable and safe? I have see on build log that firmware 03jul2018 is marked failed, so why?

Jstaff

NEW HERE, LOVING IT
TWO QUESTIONS ON BIT RATE AND OVERHEATING

Hi folks,

I installed the July 3, 2018 build for the 600D (the latest I think). Most things are work very well. I have just a couple of questions:

1. BIT RATE
Mostly interested in the higher bit rates for compression. When I use the default of 1.0. I am getting a bit rate readout on the LCD screen while filming of upper 30's. When I push that setting up to 2.0 or even 3.0 (audio off), it seems to only go up a bit to mid 40's. Now this is at a lower ISO. When I move to a higher ISO, 800 or so, then the increased bit rate numbers go way up to around 60.

I recall reading somewhere that the higher the ISO, the more headroom there is to increase the bit rate. Am I remembering that right? Does this beg the question, under what conditions is the increased BR best used for? I'm mostly looking to use it for studio work where I expect to keep the ISO to 200. Does a higher ISO's lower quality get offset by adding to its BR? And how does this effect green screen work?

Related, is there a visual of the ML LCD readout that diagrams what each element is? I get that the red boxes in the upper right are A:  Average BR, and B: Current BR. But I am not sure that the green box to the left or the box to the right is (maybe Q on that one, as it is often -16?). Boy these are hard to read, so small!!!

2. OVERHEATING
I am having issues with overheating. Even just sitting and not filming, the readout went up to:  56c / 131F / 201 raw. I tried moving the LCD away from the body, but no effect. (And neither the LCD or area behind it was warm anyway.)

When I was filming tests for 12 minutes, the temp display went up to 62C and shown in red (at standard 1.0 Bitrate). Though there were no other warnings and the camera did not shut down. I have no idea if this was always a problem or not, as I never knew the temps before ML gave me the readouts just now.  So....how concerned should I be? What temperature (in Celsius since that is the only LCD display) should I be worried about?

I have noticed the SD card was very hot after the filming. Could that be the source?

Thank you for your work, your generosity, and any light you can shed on these questions.

Oh, one last item:  Minor bug in that when trying to set the FPS over 30 (I think), every click would briefly display a different interface. It looked like Canon's picture style interface.

Best,
J

irvcobb

Quote from: Jstaff on February 12, 2019, 09:39:22 PM
2. OVERHEATING
I am having issues with overheating. Even just sitting and not filming, the readout went up to:  56c / 131F / 201 raw. I tried moving the LCD away from the body, but no effect. (And neither the LCD or area behind it was warm anyway.)

When I was filming tests for 12 minutes, the temp display went up to 62C and shown in red (at standard 1.0 Bitrate). Though there were no other warnings and the camera did not shut down. I have no idea if this was always a problem or not, as I never knew the temps before ML gave me the readouts just now.  So....how concerned should I be? What temperature (in Celsius since that is the only LCD display) should I be worried about?

I have noticed the SD card was very hot after the filming. Could that be the source?

In my experience, the battery contributes a lot to the heat. Get yourself a battery grip [$25(US) on Amazon] and the cam will run cooler and you can film longer, too.

Jstaff

Hi Irv,

Thank you for the reply and good thought. However, I actually have a grip with battery holder. So yeah, no effect. Plus, that part of the camera isn't running hot.

Walter Schulz

1) Test without ML
Turn cam off.
Press SET and turn cam on.
Release SET after QC screen appears.
Take a pic (= pic 1).
Record for 12 minutes and take a pic (= pic 2) again.

Turn cam off. Let cam cool down. 30-60 minutes.

2) Test with ML active
Don't press set and turn cam on.
Take a pic (=pic 3).
Record for 12 minutes and take a pic (= pic 4) again.

Check exif tag "Camera Temperature" for all 4 pics and compare.