Canon 600D / T3i

Started by Avenger 2.0, June 16, 2015, 10:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Trying to diagnose a possible bug in the emulator and I need some input from a 600D owner:

1) when trying to format the card from the camera, can you toggle between Keep ML and Remove ML? (according to escho, yes)

2) if yes, can you create startup log that also covers the above action? (just toggling between the two options a few times; no need to actually format the card)

@Stryker1: no 600D/100D here; have some screenshots to show the issue?

irvcobb

1 - Yes.
2 - I cannot boot to the startup-log ML. Three long and three short flashes. Have to remove battery and card to reset cam. Double-checked that the card is good, that I have the right build, and that I got a good download.

a1ex

Hopefully fixed - the startup-log build seems to work now in QEMU...

Stryker1

@a1ex:
Here is a sample image:

• The only options I have activated in ML is "Clear Overlays: always" and "Global Draw: off"
  • I am in film mode on the 600D
  • The bars appear -sometimes- when turning the camera on, but only in the HDMI output.
  • The bars appear -always- when I take a photo (while in film mode, but not recording), so that the output gets black and when the liveview comes back, the bars are there.

When I press the Trash-Button twice, the overlays are cleared again, as they should be.
If I plug out the HDMI cable, so that the liveview is shown on the camera display, the bars are always gone, as they should be.

What I also noticed is that the Option "Advanced settings -> Orientation: mirror" is not enabled for the HDMI output.

It would really be great if these two issues can be fixed.

a1ex

Expected result? (how does a good screen look like?)

The bars are not symmetrical (both in position and colors), something which I'm unable to reproduce. There's no focus box either; how did you hide it? (assuming Global Draw is off in ML)

Can you also use the startup-log build linked above to create a log file with the external monitor connected?

Is the clear overlays feature working properly on the built-in LCD?

Reproduced the display orientation issue on 60D, but apparently this one is handled by the built-in LCD controller, so it's very hard to fix. Flipping upside-down may be doable with the EDMAC routines (not straightforward, not sure if it's worth the trouble); flipping horizontally is very hard to do with our current knowledge on DMA hardware (and impossible in software if you want it in real-time).

Stryker1

>Expected result? (how does a good screen look like?)
No Canon standard firmware bars with the vertical grey lines on the left and right, so a clean and a little bit larger screen of the camera's live view, see this image:

>There's no focus box either; how did you hide it?
The only two settings I made in ML is "Clear Overlays: always" and "Global Draw: off".
"Focus Box Setttings" is set to "Display: Auto-Hide", but I guess this is the default.

>The bars are not symmetrical (both in position
>and colors)
Colors are correct in "real life" - it is justed caused by my bad smartphone camera quality :)
But you are right that the live view is not centered on the external monitor. But this is only a matter of the external monitor: I had to set the "mirror option" in the external monitor, as a workaround, because the mirror setting in ML does not work for the HDMI out, as you know. If I do not mirror the video signal in the external monitor, it is perfectly centered. So not an issue of the video signal of ML.

>Is the clear overlays feature working properly on the built-in LCD?
Yes, on the build-in LCD it is always perfectly cleared, on the external only sometimes when I switch on the camera and never, when I take a photo (when the live view gets black and switches on again). It is important to know, that I am in the Movie mode of the camera. If I switch to M or another photo mode, the display is cleared well after taking a photo and going back to live view.

>Reproduced the display orientation issue on 60D, but apparently
>this one is handled by the built-in LCD controller, so it's very hard to fix.
That would be bad, because I would have to live with my workaround to set the mirror option in my external monitor which leads to a black stripe on the right, because of it's issues no centering the image when in mirror mode. See also the current picture.

PS: Maybe interesting to know: normally I set the movie resolution to 640 Pixel in the Canon, which can lead to the described bug of the stripes right and left until pressing the delete button twice.
If I set movie resolution to 1280 or 1920, stripes appear on the top an bottom, if the bug occurs. But when pressing the Delete-Button twice, the video signal is also scaled, without the stripes (as in the 640 mode).

Stryker1

Any hints about this or is there anything I can help with fixing this?

dfort

Hi 600D users. I'm trying to get the SRM_BUFFER_SIZE cataloged for all cameras and am missing an in camera confirmation for the 600D. I was able to find it in QEMU and I'm 99.99% sure this is correct but it would be nice to be 100%.

I uploaded a build named find-SRM_BUFFER_SIZE.2018Feb15.600D102 to my Bitbucket downloads page. Simply go to the Debug menu and select Free Memory.

Thanks!

irvcobb

Mine reads just as yours, except:
Allocated RAM    589KB, peak 1.1MB
SRM job total    4x31MB

dfort

Not surprised that Allocated RAM and SRM job total will change. As long as the SRM_BUFFER_SIZE matches we're golden. Thanks!

ToniX

@dfort

Quote from: dfort on February 15, 2018, 07:11:40 PM
Hi 600D users.

I uploaded a build named find-SRM_BUFFER_SIZE.2018Feb15.600D102 to my Bitbucket downloads page. Simply go to the Debug menu and select Free Memory.

Thanks!

hyi, I just wish to inform you that such file is not present at the provided url.
600D - EFs18-55 ISII

dfort

@ToniX - The test was run on the camera so I deleted the build. In addition, the QEMU results were verified as valid by a1ex and merged into the crop_rec_4k branch. Now this doesn't mean that the 600D can do 4k but we've got SRM_BUFFER_SIZE saved for future reference.

dfort

Just a wake up call for 600D users, this test hasn't been run yet:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5601.msg196632#msg196632

Let me know if you need any help getting a special build working to run the test.

shadowrider

Quote from: wildbill001 on December 13, 2017, 03:45:40 PM
I used ML several years ago when I first got my T3i.  I went to use it several weeks ago after a LONG hiatus and the card wouldn't load.  So I'm looking for a new build.  The most current nightly build shows 2 tests failed.  Now, I'm not sure those test are important--or are they?  Is there a previous build that passes all the tests that maybe I should use?

And lastly, am I posting this in the correct forum?     :-\

Thanks for the help

Bill W

Hi Bill I'm in a similar situation, I'm a first time user (NOOB to ML) and collecting the files and information to do the update, however I'm concerned about using the current build because of the test errors reported.  Did you get an answer on your question?  If the current version is not appropriate which version should I be looking for?

Thanks

gerdmitpferd

Quote from: shadowrider on March 09, 2018, 05:00:59 PM
Hi Bill I'm in a similar situation, I'm a first time user (NOOB to ML) and collecting the files and information to do the update, however I'm concerned about using the current build because of the test errors reported.  Did you get an answer on your question?  If the current version is not appropriate which version should I be looking for?

Thanks

Hello Bill,
i use to photograph the nightly build from 2018-02-04
I'm doing quite well. However, I can not comment on audio and video.

silenttapes

Hey!

Can someone help me enable 10bit raw - I've searched all the menus, I've searched the forum, I've installed the latest experimental build....

I'm a fairly experienced MLV user having shot many projects on my old 5D3. Recently acquired a 600d for view finding. I feel like there is something blindingly obvious I am missing

CHeers,

Walter Schulz

Modules tab -> mlv_lite.mo ON -> restart cam -> Movie tab -> RAW video -> Data format

silenttapes

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 30, 2018, 03:16:27 PM
Modules tab -> mlv_lite.mo ON -> restart cam -> Movie tab -> RAW video -> Data format

Thanks but that "Data Format" menu item doesn't exist in my version

I am running:  magiclantern-lua_fix.2018Mar21.600D102.zip

Which build are you running?

Walter Schulz

You may want to try "10/12-bit RAW video" experimental build.

silenttapes

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 30, 2018, 08:15:11 PM
You may want to try "10/12-bit RAW video" experimental build.

Thanks man!

One more question: any thoughts on what makes sense as the optimal SD card for this camera's bottle necks?

Walter Schulz

600D theoretical card interface limit is 25 MByte/s. There is a chance that's not the last word. But there is no schedule to make it happen for 600D. Therefore: www.cameramemoryspeed.com and pick anything decent. 30 MByte/s (or higher) in UHS-I write mode.

dfort

How about a firmware update for the 600D?

Thanks @mk11174 for running the portable dumper on the 600D.103. Got it updated and running on QEMU but it looks like the 600D won't show a firmware signature in QEMU. If anyone wants to lend a hand I put a fw-signature build on my downloads page. To run it first make sure you've got 102 running, use the Canon firmware updater (also on my downloads page) to update your camera to 103. Note that there is no ML-SETUP.FIR for this yet so your camera and card bootflags needs to remain set to run this. The firmware signature should display on the LCD. Please report it here on the forum or PM me.

BTW -- the stubs in QEMU need to be changed but since this camera can run ML in QEMU even without the debugmsg.gdb file I'm not 100% sure I got this right:

# ./run_canon_fw.sh 600D -d debugmsg
# ./run_canon_fw.sh 600D -d debugmsg -s -S & arm-none-eabi-gdb -x 600D/debugmsg.gdb

source -v debug-logging.gdb

# To get debugging symbols from Magic Lantern, uncomment one of these:
#symbol-file ../magic-lantern/platform/600D.103/magiclantern
#symbol-file ../magic-lantern/platform/600D.103/autoexec
#symbol-file ../magic-lantern/platform/600D.103/stubs.o

macro define CURRENT_TASK 0x1a2c
macro define CURRENT_ISR  (MEM(0x670) ? MEM(0x674) >> 2 : 0)

# GDB hook is very slow; -d debugmsg is much faster
# ./run_canon_fw.sh will use this address, don't delete it
# b *0xff06e3a0
# DebugMsg_log

b *0xff071580
task_create_log

b *0xff1f5830
register_interrupt_log

# MPU communication
if 0
  b *0xff1db52c
  mpu_send_log

b *0xff05ed8c
  mpu_recv_log
end

# message queues
if 0
  b *0xff1f594c
  create_msg_queue_log

b *0xff1f5c48
  post_msg_queue_log

b *0xff1f5ba4
  post_msg_queue_log

b *0xff1f5a5c
  try_receive_msg_queue_log

b *0xff1f5b14
  receive_msg_queue_log
end

cont

dfort

Hum--this is strange. So "Hello World" works fine in camera and gives a firmware signature of 0x5113b56e:

Plugging this into fw-signature.h makes this happen:

The basic autoexec.bin that is packaged with QEMU shows that this is in fact 600D.103:

Weird part is commenting out the firmware signature it runs fine in QEMU:

Maybe this is just a QEMU thing? Anyone want to try it on camera? It should work thought there's a chance that it might break your camera. Test build on my downloads page. This doesn't have a ML-SETUP.FIR file yet so make sure your camera bootflag is set before doing the firmware update.

mk11174

Just tried, Def not just a QEMU thing, same Model Detection popped up right away.
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i