Canon 600D / T3i

Started by Avenger 2.0, June 16, 2015, 10:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nachordez

Great news!
Just a question... If the old nightly is properly installed, the tipical update (deleting and copying new files in sd) is still enogh. True?

Enviado desde mi LG-D855 mediante Tapatalk

EOS 600D  /  OpenSuse 13.1

rsmith02

Yes, that's what I did and it worked. The first post of this thread was updated with more detailed instructions if you need them.

jayesh

I did install ML now but the user interface is still Canon and is somewhat ML,

Please help me with this.

Please don't use all capitals.  //Audionut  Click me

l_d_allan

I appreciate that my Rebel T3i / 600d is back to being actively supported. Thanks!

And it seems the installation has gotten smoother .... don't need to use the old Stable 2.3. Grrrrreat Job!

rsmith02

Quote from: jayesh on May 24, 2016, 10:14:13 PM
I did install ML now but the user interface is still Canon and is somewhat ML,

Please help me with this.

The interface is completely Canon unless you hit the trash can button and override Canon settings with ML ones. ML just exists to solve problems. Try features as you need them. Personally I find it most useful for video mode (magic zoom, auto restart) and I like the built in intervalometer for time lapses.

mixmax

hi all
I've been a long time ML user, but lately stumbled upon ML mention on the web and decided that I'll try new build with my T3i (aka D600) and ended up with unexpected problem.
Here are my steps:
1) dl-ed latest nightly
magiclantern-Nightly.2016Jun13.600D102.zip
Built on: 2016-06-12 20:59:14 -0400
Changeset: 90fe6de

2) formatted 4Gb card in the camera, made sure that the battery is fully charged
3) copied contents of the archive onto SD card on my laptop
4) put SD card back into camera, run firmware upgrade
5) ML installation screen appeared with green message about successful installation
6) I turned camera off, copied LOGS dir with ROMs onto my laptop, then put card back and turned camera on, it booted up into ML ok, I briefly checked settings once again - didn't change any settings except owner info string and shooting a picture for test
7) turned camera off, replaced SD card with another one (16Gb Transcend) - it is my main one, the card was previously formatted  in the camera and had some pics on it, I removed it and reviewed photos on my laptop just a moment before. Tried to boot the camera...here the problem starts, 'cause
8) NOTHING HAPPENS :( even red LED didn't blink... I pulled out battery and card, waited for a min, put back 1st SD with ML - it booted ok.
9) put back 2nd card - not a single sign of camera booting... battery trick again, 1st card, uninstalled ML via fw upgrade menu, turned camera off.
10) put back 2nd 16 gb card - red led lit up and after a few seconds (it looked like something was happening, took more time than usual) camera turned on, but card was not recognized. "Card cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change the card or format card with camera" message popped up.
I turned camera off, put card into laptop - but it can't recognize the card now too. Even on USB level no new devices appear when I plug it in :(

Now the 16Gb card is totally dead and to me it looks like that ML just killed my card somehow :(

Questions: any chance of reviving the card? Silly me didn't back up photos, never ever before I had an SD card died such out of a sudden ((( so any advice appreciated.
Any clues on what happened? Did the canon/modified bootloader when ML is installed look up parts of firmware on SD card and could it happen that it killed SD flash controller somehow?

Walter Schulz

ML enabled cams will access card *after* opening card slot. It doesn't matter if there is an ML enabled card inserted or a "dumb" one. And it doesn't matter if "Power switch" is in OFF position.
Your incident may be related to this access mimic or not. Always wait some time after opening card door before removing cards from ML cams.

mixmax

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 17, 2016, 07:28:24 AM
ML enabled cams will access card *after* opening card slot. It doesn't matter if there is an ML enabled card inserted or a "dumb" one. And it doesn't matter if "Power switch" is in OFF position.
Your incident may be related to this access mimic or not. Always wait some time after opening card door before removing cards from ML cams.
:o
yes, that's most likely what happened. But I'm pretty sure the camera LED in the lower right was off. So if you're familiar with ML source code - is there any way to modify ML to provide a clear indication via LED flashing when there are I/O operations happening?

a1ex

Details about the shutdown problem: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1455.0

I'm not sure what happened. Most likely, the camera didn't shutdown correctly, and you probably inserted the other card while the camera was still powered on (but locked up). Probably this is what killed the card.

What happens if you plug the card under Linux? (try a Live CD and paste the last few lines from dmesg after inserting a good card and then a bad card).

If there's no sign of life from the card on the PC, I can get the raw card contents from the camera (it's not easy, you will have to boot from one card, then, after ML is loaded, insert the bad card without turning the camera off; then, find a way to transfer the data, maybe via USB). I need to do some experiments about that on my camera first.

mixmax

Thanks, a1ex! Yes, this shutdown problem thread you're referring to pretty much describes my particular problem. Seems to be unlucky coincidence where card has been accessed and write happened without any visual indication at the very moment it was ejected.. I wish I've read it earlier...well, lesson learned the hard way :(

If there's any slight chance to recover contents of the SD card with camera - I'm in game, let me know here or via PM if other experiments needed.

Here are dmesg outputs for both cards
With normal 4Gb Kingston branded card I'm getting
[  401.948949] mmc0: new SDHC card at address 1234
[  401.968919] Driver 'mmcblk' needs updating - please use bus_type methods
[  401.969048] mmcblk0: mmc0:1234 SA04G 3.70 GiB
[  401.971195]  mmcblk0: p1
[  402.336852] FAT-fs (mmcblk0p1): utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!

With corrupted 16Gb Transcend card (mixmax - AFAIU first 2 lines stll refer to previous card )

[  546.713246] mmc0: card 1234 removed
[  546.749369] FAT-fs (mmcblk0p1): unable to read boot sector to mark fs as dirty
[  554.570100] mmc0: card never left busy state
[  554.570110] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
[  556.216025] mmc0: card never left busy state
[  556.216034] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
[  557.861903] mmc0: card never left busy state
[  557.861914] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
[  559.507737] mmc0: card never left busy state
[  559.507746] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card

+ with another healthy 8Gb Samsung card again
[  964.423396] mmc0: new SDHC card at address 0002
[  964.423777] mmcblk0: mmc0:0002 00000 7.41 GiB
[  964.425486]  mmcblk0: p1
[  964.777148] FAT-fs (mmcblk0p1): utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!

+ with empty microSD-SD adapter, again first 2 lines can be ignored AFAIU
[ 1060.984609] mmc0: card 0002 removed
[ 1061.016661] FAT-fs (mmcblk0p1): unable to read boot sector to mark fs as dirty
[ 1153.950719] mmc0: card never left busy state
[ 1153.950729] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
[ 1155.596602] mmc0: card never left busy state
[ 1155.596612] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
[ 1157.242471] mmc0: card never left busy state
[ 1157.242483] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
[ 1158.888373] mmc0: card never left busy state
[ 1158.888384] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card

- looks like the card is dead and some trick with low-level access via camera is the only chance...keeping fingers crossed

thanks!

mixmax

Other thoughts:

The reason I was somewhat nervously pulling cards in and out was that the camera apparently did not boot up after I changed cards and this (see p.7 in my steps) resonates with msg on ML fb page -
QuoteEric J. Russell
Yesterday at 1:55pm
Two Identical SDXC cards. One boots ML fine, the other puts my 700D in a brickatose state that can only be broken by ejecting the SD card and pulling the battery in and out, and even then the brickatosing SD card can't be in the slot or else the camera stays dead.

tsetliff

This probably sounds silly for everyone who has been using this software, but at the end of the installation instructions it would be great if you say that to get the menu you push the garbage can button after install.

The reason being that after watching a couple youtube videos I only saw the ML menu and just assumed it replaced the existing menu.  I even went and looked at the user guide but while I saw a lot of information about features (and I admit I jumped around) nothing said to click the garbage can. The ML home page just seems to say "yes this sounds great, let me install"... nothing about pushing the garbage can button. This led me trying a few different builds and being a bit confused until I came across another video that explained it.

McDonald

Recently had the same "Card cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change the card or format card with camera" message on my 650D (with Meike battery grip) twice.
Both times the camera was switched on and several photos had been taken already.
The SD card was a SanDisk 64 GB Extreme (90 MB/s) class 3.
On site there was nothing I could do. So I removed and locked the card, and replaced it with a 32 GB card without ML.

First time I could recover all photos with Recuva from Pirisoft (https://www.piriform.com/recuva). This is freeware.
After this I formatted the SD card with SD Card Formatter (https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html). This little freeware program will restore the hidden partition on the SD card also in case it's lost.
Than I added ML to the SD card again.

Two weeks later it happened again. Same SD card.
This time I wasn't able to recover my photos, but a quick format first did the trick.
After this I could recover all photos with Recuva again.

Since the second 'crash' I haven't use ML anymore and use the 32 GB card only.
I'm still not sure what caused the error, but both times the card was in the camera, camera switched on and in use.
Canon EOS 650D with 17-40mm f/4 L lens

histor

I've just compared focus step size while shooting tethered and using follow focus. Shooting from PC gives 3 times smaller steps, compared to ML follow focus. If I'm not mistaken, the step size was defined as the minimal step size from canon API. Maybe it's an important update or just another command for smaller steps. Is there any way to sniffer that command from PC or from ML? It may have a great value for macro photography.
600D + Tamron 60mm f/2.0
Software: CaptureOne 9.2 (with latest canon API, I believe)

dmilligan

ML Menu > Focus > Focus Settings > Step Size

histor

> ML Menu > Focus > Focus Settings > Step Size
It's already set to 1.

P.S. I'll do some deeper testing later.

histor

Defining Focus End Point works OK - it reports the same great number of steps as computer. But using left-right arrows (FF+/FF- to be sure) I can pass the same distance in a few clicks (3 times less steps). I guess something is wrong while reading stepsize/step_size variable. Or it just works how it was intended?

Upd
Finally I've solved the problem after resetting all CFn from canon menu. Strange, but setting AF to anything but halfshutter gives such unpredictable focus steps.

a1ex

I'm looking for a 600D user to run a short test; I need it in order to be able to emulate the 600D firmware in QEMU.

Preferably somebody who can compile ML.

irvcobb

a1ex

Thanks, here are the tests I need:

1. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5071.msg166799#msg166799 (0xFF0DA2E4 smemShowFix)
2. https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/741/minimal-target-fixes-hello-world/diff (just check if it boots)
3. compile the dm-spy-experiments branch with CONFIG_DEBUG_INTERCEPT_STARTUP=y, start the camera, go to Canon menu, navigate the menu a bit (doesn't matter where) and wait for dm.log to be saved. If needed, you can increase the delay before saving the log file (boot-hack.c, near line 580).

a1ex

Thanks, I had some partial success with the emulation.

PaulHarwood856

QuoteRecently had the same "Card cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change the card or format card with camera" message on my 650D (with Meike battery grip) twice.
Both times the camera was switched on and several photos had been taken already.
The SD card was a SanDisk 64 GB Extreme (90 MB/s) class 3.
On site there was nothing I could do. So I removed and locked the card, and replaced it with a 32 GB card without ML.

First time I could recover all photos with Recuva from Pirisoft (https://www.piriform.com/recuva). This is freeware.
After this I formatted the SD card with SD Card Formatter (https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html). This little freeware program will restore the hidden partition on the SD card also in case it's lost.
Than I added ML to the SD card again.

Two weeks later it happened again. Same SD card.
This time I wasn't able to recover my photos, but a quick format first did the trick.
After this I could recover all photos with Recuva again.

Since the second 'crash' I haven't use ML anymore and use the 32 GB card only.
I'm still not sure what caused the error, but both times the card was in the camera, camera switched on and in use.

Hey McDonald,

I had a similar problem a couple months ago. The key is to not use an SD card above 32 GB.

I had spent hours recovering the video files, that ended up being corrupted. I was able to use a software to repair the video clips, but this was a pain to figure out, however I was really thankful.

I've had a couple times where a 64 GB SD card has been corrupted with the T3i, and through another post found out 64 GB cards do not work well with the T3i and Auto Restart.

I realize you're using a T4i, but it might be related. Also, I used a battery grip. I'm wondering if a battery grip is the issue. Mine is Canon, yours is Meike, so it isn't a third party issue. I wonder if using external power like a V Mount instead of a battery grip would solve this. As rsmith02 stated in the other post, it might not even be Magic Lantern related. Anyways I just use 32 GB cards now. I hope this helps.

Here is a link to the other post about the same issue: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17271.msg167353#msg167353

If I can be of any other help please let me know. Thanks.

- Paul Harwood

irvcobb

600D is not compiling, as noted on the downloads page. I can compile, but don't have the skills to debug. This seem to be the issue:
../../src/raw.c: At top level:
../../src/raw.c:1510:26: error: 'PREFERRED_RAW_TYPE' undeclared here (not in a function)
static int lv_raw_type = PREFERRED_RAW_TYPE;
                          ^
../../src/raw.c:1510:12: warning: 'lv_raw_type' defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
static int lv_raw_type = PREFERRED_RAW_TYPE;
            ^
../../Makefile.filerules:23: recipe for target 'raw.o' failed
make: *** [raw.o] Error 1

a1ex

Solved, next build will be fine.