Canon 600D / T3i

Started by Avenger 2.0, June 16, 2015, 10:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adaware

Hi,
I have followed exact instructions provided to install Magic Latern by I do not see all the changes Magic Latern brings.
I see some changes in live view. But Menu brought by Menu button is old one; Attaching screenshot showing ML install success .http://imgur.com/G6ja3cJ
Please help me guide what is missing for me.

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> User Guide -> User Guide/Install Guide

adaware

yes I have followed exact same instructions, but I see old MENU only when I click 'MENU' button on camera body!

Walter Schulz

Delete ML directory and Autoexec.bin and *.FIR from card. Extract latest vaild nightly build to card.

Stedda

adaware- Magic Lantern Menu is accessed by pressing the Trashcan button not the Canon Menu System these are basics you would have found by reading up on what you are using... its no more than a page deep in the user manual.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

l3l2ad

Any good field monitors to use with the T3i? I was looking for one that allowed me to see ML overlays.

ibrahim

I've filmed several scenes but get greenish cast, which I haven't been able to correct in post.
Does this cast result of the increased CBR from 1.0x to 1.4x or due to something else?
I filmed in RAW 960x540 on 600d.
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

PaulHarwood856

Hello ibrahim,

I had a similar problem in the past with the T3i. There is a solution. I will provide some links to forum posts, but watch this video first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn-djQijUZE

Here is my post from the summer about having the same problem, and the resolutions people came up with: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15653.msg154979#msg154979

A few more posts to check out:

http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11664.0

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13465.0

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11942.0

Please let me know if I can help in any way, and please let us know how this goes. I hope you are able to resolve your issue.

- Paul Harwood

ShootMeAlready

When you are shooting LV either stills or video, with ML display,  is there a way to move the AF box about?

I seem to have to use the * or back-button focus button with arrows, this is impossible to move
without moving the camera about.  It does not work in every focus mode either.

It seems that the in the ML config, one would want to have focus box move by arrows as one
of the options (just like ISO/TEMP, step focus, etc.) for the DISPLAY button.
If one were to use the DISPLAy button instead of the * button, then the arrows being pressed
does not move the camera about.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

Walter Schulz

Reset ML settings to default.
Canon menu (4th from left) -> AF method -> FlexiZone (do not use "Quick")

Retry and report-

ShootMeAlready

Managed to move it about, by using the * button, and set buttons, until the box appears.  Then the arrows could be used without simultaneous pressing.
It was better.

Now my beef is more about tracking, it seems that follow-focus with focus peaks is the best for video.
Although I am getting really good at MF with riding the focus ring. 
Too bad it does not track continuos with an aiservo, as the subject moves about.  Its really only geared for the shutter press.
Now that would be an enhancement, trick it into constantly AF as the subject tracks in aiservo for video.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

Datensuppe

Thanks dmilligan for the clarification about the memory-size limit. I currently don't have the time to look into disabling features in my 600D nightly ML-builds so I disabled the cron-job and removed all builds, that are broken due to the bootloader being too big.

The build from 2015-12-21, which is the last one that should be ok in this respect, is still available.

Sorry, I didn't remove the broken binaries earlier...

Walter Schulz

The latest build available on the web is #355 19.Apr.2015. Do not use newer builds, please! They have been removed for a reason.
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/600D.102/

fmpdx

I enjoyed reading all 6 pages of this forum. I looked in my "My Documents" folder and realized that it was 2012 when I last used ML and still have all the files, etc from that time. I stopped using it shortly after trying it as I am mostly a still shooter and sometimes it got in the way. I might get into shooting video with it so that is another reason I'll keep an eye on this forum. Anyway keep up the Nightly Builds!

ShootMeAlready

I wonder if there is a way to marry the the step focus function with the Auto_ETTR.???

The idea is if it can adjust focus by steps, and set auto_ettr, should one be
able to create a rather awesome focus tracking, that keeps in focus while adjusting auto_ettr,
and ofcourse I am refering to video.  The though of dynamic exposure adjust while a subject
moves in a frame in focus would be rather exciting.

JM2C 

PS: We would need an ISO max limit too.  Currently ML ISO = AUTO, is not max. limitted, leading to undesirable ISO=A6400 or A3200.

beank

Trying to put ML on my T3i... the version is 1.0.4 though....

Is there a way to downgrade the firmware? I have tried downloading the 1.0.2 and 1.0.1 official firmwares and running the update, but the camera comes back saying that there is no update file found.

Walter Schulz

600d with firmware 1.0.4? Please check your camera version. I quite sure you are actually using a 650D/T4i.

beank

Huge mistake, camera is a T3 not t3i.... :-[

My bad.... sorry for the confusion

DanSyre

I have a question, since i didn't see this being mentioned anywhere. I recently bought a new 32GB SanDisk Ultra 80MB/s card and it seems to be very inconsistent with the write speeds, I checked and the bottleneck for the 600d is 21MB/s but my speeds are all over the place. When i start recording raw it shoots up to 20MB/s and and 3 seconds later it goes down to 10 and then 18 and it just keeps jumping up and down which averages out at EXACTLY 15MB/s in the card benchmark. what is going on... My old 30mb/s card is A LOT more consistent with it's  14.8MB/s. How so? How can i fix it? Is it the card? :(

PS: before you tell me how buying a 80MB/s card on a t3i is a bad decision, i only did it because it was on a 50% discount.

EDIT: Heres a video on exactly whats happening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqu-8MkYkds

EDIT: IT WAS the card. I regret not doing any research about this. If you ever plan on buying a card look at the benchmarks beforehand.

fireguy116

Hello everyone, i am newer to the magic lantern firmware.  I have been using it now for a few months and I love all of the features.  Recently I was looking around to see about being able to listen to the audio from the camera with headphones and i found that the nightly build allows you to do just that through the usb.  So i downloaded the last updated nightly build and it runs great and does exactly what i wanted it to do.  My only question is and it may be me being picky but on the v2.3 firmware when you had the live display on for recording all your settings were lit up all different colors which made it really easy to see them and pick out what setting you were looking for.  With the newest nightly build i can only find changing the whole screen to a certain color.  Am I missing something or was that feature replaced with the newest nightly build?

axelcine

EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

fireguy116

ok thanks.  My last question im trying to do the audio monitoring with the nightly build.  I have the usb to 3.5mm female and i have all the settings i think need to be on and im not getting any sound out of my head phones.  Am I doing something wrong?

a1ex

Reminder: this PR is all that's needed to re-enable the 600D builds [1] [2].

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/610/benchmarks-and-self-tests-refactored-as/diff

Anyone interested in helping me testing it?

irvcobb

I'm willing to consider it. What would the testing involve, and how much risk to the camera? (I know: I get to keep the pieces.)

a1ex

Compiling that branch, trying the "new" (well, moved to modules) menu options (it may take 1-2 hours, or maybe more if you want to run the infinite tests) and uploading the files created in the process. Or, if it doesn't work, reporting at which step it stopped / crashed / failed or whatever it did.

To minimize the risk, you can save a copy of your ROM files (in ML/LOGS on your card) in a safe place, just in case. The risk should be pretty small; for example, I have no hesitation running these tests on my 5D3.