Canon 600D / T3i

Started by Avenger 2.0, June 16, 2015, 10:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Browse Nightly Builds -> 600D.102 and read instruction. v2.3 contains a very detailed guide for the first step.

Fernando

I made the mistake of deleting the files from the card by accidentaly formating it on my pc. I tried doing a new install but it does not recognize the files on the sd card. Yes, the files are on the root of the card.

Walter Schulz

Use EOScard/Macboot to make card bootable. Wipe all contents from card (but don't format again) and copy extracted nightly build contents to card.

Fernando

Not an option, unless I use it through Wine. I'm on Linux.

Fernando

Solved. Reinstalled the old stable version, then upgraded to the nightly build by deleting the files and copying the new ones over to the sd, thanks for the help!

Walter Schulz

ccarvalho

Hello, I have one 600D and I'm a C# programmer. What can I do to improve the 600D support?

dmilligan

Stuff needs to be refactored out of the core and into modules so that the autoexec.bin size is less than 512K (that's currently the most pressing issue).

You're probably going to need to learn some C/embedded programming and dig into the code base. The first thing to do is setup the ARM toolchain and try to compile a build.

See:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=991.0
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9625.0
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9517.0

_OLLE_

Sorry for asking but can anyone help me with this? Every time when I am recording raw I got like blue, pink and yellow pixels around for example leaves and I don't understand why!? I have tried both Rawmagic and MLRawViewer, I have tried both Mac and PC but nothing will help me! Can anyone help me to get rid of those colored pixels?

Down here I put a picture so you guys understand what I mean!:

I am also sorry for my bad english!

Walter Schulz

Looks like aliasing to me. Try reshoot scene in crop mode and compare results. For avoiding aliasing in non-cropped mode there is VAF. Expensive.

pastatsunami

I just purchased the T3i a week ago after having a T2i since 2010. I've used ML on my T2i for a few years now and was always able to adjust the digital and analog ISO levels by pressing the ISO button and using the wheel to select the different increments. After installing ML on my T3i, I have found the camera unable to achieve the same control. The only way I am able to select the digital ISO levels like 320 and 640 on my t3i is by opening up the ML menu and changing them there. If I press the ISO button and use the wheel, I am only given the analog levels like 100, 200, 400, ect. I am wondering if there is a setting I have to turn on to be able to select the digital ISO levels on the fly or if the T3i is just not able to do this? Any help on this issue would be great. Thanks.

rob.c88

Hi all,

I have a quick question, after doing some research I was a bit confused about the installation of the nightly builds on the 600D/T3i. Watching an installation of ML on youtube for a 5D didn't help to much obviously!

I understand that the stable version of v2.3 needs to be installed first, and I did this a couple of years ago. At the time, I copied all the files over to the sd card (so all the .fir files and also pdf files.)

Having read the installation instructions for v2.3 here, for the 600D it says "- Unzip 'ML' directory, 'autoexec.bin' and '600D-102.fir' from the downloaded ZIP file onto your sd card."

As I didn't install ML this way in the first place and I originally placed all the files on my sd card, could I delete all the files except the '600D-102.fir' file, and then continue with the update process by placing the nightly build files onto my sd card? Or should I uninstall ML and start again?

Hope my post makes sense, thanks.

_OLLE_

Here is a good tutorial! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxwXi1X0xGc exact the same steps for the t3i!

rob.c88

Hey _OLLE_,

Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure if the video is the same as the installation on the t3i.

I understand the instructions on the t3i sticky fine, but comparing them to the t5i sticky and the video you linked tom, there are some differences. But, thank you for your help!!  :)

From my understanding the t3i needs the original stable version (v2.3) to be installed first. In the sticky, it says to copy over the  'ML' directory, autoexec.bin and 600D-102.fir from the original stable version. And, then once 2.3 is installed you can delete the 'ML' directory and autoexec.bin and replace those files with the new files from the t3i nightly build - but you have to keep the 600D-102.fir file from the v2.3 install.

But the sticky is relatively new, and when I originally installed ML on my t3i, I just copied every file over to the sd card. So, I had .fir files for the 5D and other cameras on the card, and they are still there today along with the help pdf files.

I don't know whether it would be ok to delete the files I don't need e.g the pdf files, the (old) autoexec.bin, the (old) 'ML' directory and all of the .fir files except for the 600D-102.fir file and then place the new nightly build autoexec.bin and 'ML' directory onto my sd card. I'm not sure if something will break?

Walter Schulz

After installing v2.3 *wipe* disk. Don't format it but delete just everything. Copy extracted nightly build contents to card.

rob.c88

Thanks for the reply Walter,

I'm sorry, if I'm missing something. But I think it's better to know what I'm doing, instead of coming back and saying I bricked my camera.

I'm still a little confused, because I already have ML v 2.3 installed (from 2 years ago) I just want to upgrade to the nightly build. I'm sure I installed ML v 2.3 correctly per the instructions from 2 years ago. As I copied every file from the v2.3 zip to my t3i sd card which is stated in the INSTALL.pdf file. Here is a video, (not me!) but it shows what I did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp-5wSmUsHc.

So, presumably I could skip to "Updating Magic Lantern with new build in the future (on camera and sd card with ML installed):" step in the sticky. But where the sticky describes the updated why of installing v 2.3, which only copyies the the ML directory, autoexec.bin and 600D .fir files from the v2.3 zip.

In my case as I have excess .fir files and pdf files from my original install, I'm not sure if it is ok to copy and replace the new nightly build files with the existing files on my sd card and then delete the excess .fir files and pdf files?

Sorry, Walter. I included the original text in italic just for information purposes (I can edit it out later if you think it would confuse users.) I re-read the sticky. I thought for some reason I had to keep the 600D.fir file. So, just to confirm I can safely delete all the files from my SD Card, except for I'm guessing the DCIM and MISC folders and then just place the new nightly build files (ML directory and autoexec.bin) to the sd card.

Datadogie

You only need the fir file if you have a new or formatted card. This is how you make it boot able in camera. I tend to do this in the computer using eoscard then copy the .exe over .
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

rob.c88

Thanks for the replies. I have re-read all the documented info and all the posts I think I know what I am doing now!

Thank you everyone for the help  :)

Datadogie

Just don't drop the camera when you are swapping cards. This about the only way you will break it with magic lantern.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

rob.c88

Thanks Datadogie for the heads up!  ;D

rainless

Been meaning to get a few words in here... but I'm a longtime PC user/absolute Apple-hater... and it's taken me some time to adjust to this MacBook Pro since my Asus died...

If I don't sell my 600D in favor of an a6000 I'll have some things to report.

The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

DeafEyeJedi

Been there, Done that.

Stick with Apple. You'll be happier in the long run.

Especially on the creativity level (post workflow) so yes you should also keep the Canon and upgrade when you can down the line.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

mlnotuser

Hey Can someone tell me did i remove ml properly. First i formated the card from the dslr but ml was there again. Then i formated from my PC and now its look like its fine. Can someone tell me is there something wrong to my camera that i dont know

Walter Schulz

Wrong all over. You just deleted ML from your card but you have cam's bootflag set.
You may want to read first post of this thread.

mlnotuser

How can I do this. I don't understand. Can you show me with pics?