A7RII - Sony owned everyone again?

Started by KelvinK, June 11, 2015, 03:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KelvinK

Regarding to the specs, both photo and video - this is ultimate camera for now and price tag is 3200.
Looks like everything customers asked, they just put in one body now.
0.78x EVF - 5Axis stab in body - SLOG2 - 4k in camera - 100MB/S - BSI Censonr - No aliasing - FASTER AF for CANON!s LENS :)
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

Kharak

I like to think of it as all the things Canon didn't do ;)
once you go raw you never go back

Danne

AF with canon lenses seems pretty fast on this camera. If true, quite remarkable.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3859199

DeafEyeJedi

Hmmm if this is true... It may also help drop prices on 5D3 in the near future and will definitely rather get another one as oppose to getting myself onto the Sony Ship!

Don't get me wrong though -- I've played with the A7II @ work when we had their demo version earlier this year and regardless of how nice it can be... It just didn't feel right in my hands.

Quite too small for me, unfortunately and it may feel solid built but still not enough to convince me to own one.

However, with its spec/features release for the newly A7rII is definitely a beast especially with the 5-axis built in stabilizer on the SENSOR -- meaning we can use old ass manual Nikkor lenses and supposedly still get steady shots while shooting handheld.

Now that's quite tempting...

Nice try, Sony!

[emoji12]
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Levas

But still not a raw videomode, not even in 1080p ;)

sudo-i

it has enough dynamic range and resolution, I'm jumping from this ship..

Levas

Remember how everyone was whining a few years ago with 25Mbit/s for 1080p.
All complaining that 25Mbit/s in h.264 is not enough for 1080p.
So 100Mbit/s for 4K...is that enough ;)

goldenchild9to5

1080p 14Bit RAW over any 4k 4:2:0 Camera.  I'm more interested in color depth than resolution, but it seems to be a great camera.  With $3200 get a 5D III and save yourself $1200  8) Magic Lantern Rules. 

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Levas on June 11, 2015, 08:11:10 PM
So true... lol

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 12, 2015, 05:34:32 AM
1080p 14Bit RAW over any 4k 4:2:0 Camera.
*Amen* on that... Start saving up your $$ for when the price drops like a mother on the monstrous 5D3 -- not kidding!

History repeats itself as with everything else in life, right?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

goldenchild9to5

@DeafEyeJedi Lol.. Yep already saving-up 5D III's will be soo.. Cheap  8)

KelvinK

Quote from: Levas on June 11, 2015, 08:11:10 PM

it's pretty enough, it's depends more on codec quality now and sony has new/semi-pro codec, not old one that canon uses
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

ansius

Quote from: KelvinK on June 15, 2015, 03:39:47 PM
it's pretty enough, it's depends more on codec quality now and sony has new/semi-pro codec, not old one that canon uses

Agree, also depends on profile & level - my EOS 7D is working at h264 baseline / level 5 @ 45Mbps, tough HDV was mpeg2 and XDCAM is also based on mpeg2 - form my experience much more durable codec than h264. I think sony realized that with the few NX (that use AVCHD witch is in essence a subset of h264) cameras they have missed and so they made new codec that is at least comparable in properties to XDCAM, but works with 4K - XAVC, have not had any chance to work with it my self, but from what I can gather - it is efficient and durable. Like mpeg2 was when you have it enough bitrate.

I do rise bitrate for my 7D on important job or where there is more details in scene like tree leaves - it really helps, also with noise - looks nicer. In same time XDCAM HD 50 (4:2:2 50 Mbps) just simply blows it out of the water despite being a generation older codec.

what I wanted to say with this, there is no real way to tell unless it is tested in real production environment. I know that I can push HDV and XDCAM much further that I can with any H.264 or AVCHD, I hope XAVC lives up to the XDCAM legacy. For me as mostly a video editor - I like efficient, durable codecs, DV was like that, HDV as well, XDCAM also.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

KelvinK

Looking into latest short tests, i thought it was a joke, but it's true: sony a7rii focusing with canon lenses FASTER then canon with canon lenses in LV. not even faster, but really faster, almost instant at some shots.
just LOL.

quote from digitalRev

"When you look at what Canon are coming up with and then what Sony are doing, you can't help but think that Canon are holding something back, playing it safe. In this comparison, there is no comparison because it has become quite apparent that Sony is the one that we should be eagerly anticipating to make the next big moves."
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

Levas

Ah :) now I get the faster focussing part with canon lenses. It's faster then a canon camera in liveview mode ;D
So nothing special. With a canon we can use phase detection auto focus, still the fastest way to focus.

KelvinK

if they will add touchscreen to a7sii with tap focus and same focusing speed as on a7rii  hm.. i will be sold and i guess you too :)
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

Levas

I must admit, the sony fullframes are very tempting :)
But I'm addicted to the ML raw video, long battery live and a DSLR focusing system that even works fast in low light.

But then again, who knows what the future brings us :D

sudo-i

well.. the future.. when cinema industry skips to something better than RAW video they'll have to bring us raw video. as we see here its not that hard to implement it on a camera, just depends on memory card controller and the amount of ram camera uses.

its a marketing choice, if one day canon/nikon or sony makes a camera that can shoot 4K Dual ISO RAW video at 1Gb/s then everyone will jump from this ship, when? I have no idea!

l_d_allan

QuoteI'm jumping from this ship..

Pre-ordered a7Rii in June. ML was one of the major reasons I remained semi-loyal to Canon.

Trolling? If so, sorry.

I'd be happy to read that a group of ML developers had "fork'ed" over to nex-hack.info (or equivalent project if it exists). Based on just a very quick glance at their web-site, the state of the project seems rather immature.

extremelypoorfilmaker

I think i will get another 5D3 body when the price drop like a bomb.. Sony does some great stuff but you just can't beat the RAW.. I mean, to me, it feels like filming "film" but in digital.
Just recently i was doing some test shooting RAW with a nice Kowa 16D Anamorphic lens. After processing the footage, and grading it, honestly, it really felt like i shot that on film!

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYUFv9R0RbI

(it's a crappy test shoot, and i did it all in davinci resolve, don't know why wuality it's only at 360 even if i rendered the video in h.264 at high quality)

What i think it's worth having from sony is the A7s. you jsut can't beat that camera in Low light, well, unless you have got the money to buy canon latest low-light camera! ;)

tigwd

Canon should be thankful for MagicLantern right now. If not for ML, there's a strong possibility I'd be jumping ship to Sony and encouraging shooters I work with to do the same.

ansius

Quote from: tigwd on August 16, 2015, 11:22:55 PM
Canon should be thankful for MagicLantern right now. If not for ML, there's a strong possibility I'd be jumping ship to Sony and encouraging shooters I work with to do the same.

I think this is the sole reason that canon is not fighting against ML, Sony would and is, like with the unofficial F5 4K hack. Yes Sony if a tempting beast, and they have application api tough it is rather limited (https://developer.sony.com/develop/cameras/). I do consider A7s, but in same time for photography I am hesitant to go Sony, mostly because of lenses and their prices.

Sony tends to be unergonomic, thus it does not work bare bones, neither does canon dslr. you are not just buying a camera, you by a system & workflow. and then you buy a lot of gear to mount it all together... In my small country in north of Europe (Latvia) only canon has good enough support and accessories availability for decent pricing, Sony is overpriced and Nikon has no decent support. You can mount almost any lens on sony's e-mount, but you can't mount any e-mount lenses anywhere else, so you are stuck. EF you can mount on e-mount, m4/3 active adapters exist, so it is not as straight forward as one might think.

Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

rigsmall

it's pretty enough. I just found a A7RII full cage, can protect the A7RII camera. It's said it's easier to remove the camera from the cage. It's so good.
The link is http://smallrig.com/smallrig-a7ii-cage-1660.html.  Any thoughts?