Laptop freezing, HDD stop working, bootdisk flag

Started by CoEosM, June 10, 2015, 12:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoEosM

Hellow ML comunity !

I recently installed ML on my new Canon EOS M.
After few days off testing, all nice and functional on the camera, since the day I forget the memory card on my laptop.
Next day, when I did restart, the screen off my laptop was black with some errors and beeping sound (did ot remember the error, but I guess was something about booting).
Noticed and extract the card, then restart, then all the problems start.
On the first instance, I was trying to save all my data from my laptop, and succeed only from the main HDD. When trying to acces secondary HDD where I had all my multimedia files, the OS start having lags, then , after few attempts, start to freezing.
On friends advice, I take out the rams hopping to be the cause off problems, then I take out the secondary HDD, and since the OS did not freeze anymore, I make a restore.
The laptop start to work in normal parameters, but without secondary HDD.
After restore, I try again to put back in the multimedia HDD, and the Os stat freezing again.
Also, I did a test by adding a new HDD (in place off secondary/multimedia one) with same result, beeping and black screen.
Now... I search online, any simiar error that ML could cause to other users. I found nothing that help me, but a topic where someone wrote:

"I think something not everybody understands is the Magic Lantern does not install into your camera but to the SD card. My understanding is that the only change that is done to your camera is to enable the "bootdisk" flag, which is a very minor change. This flag tells the camera if it should try to load and execute software stored in the SD card.

Magic Lantern enables the bootdisk flag in your camera and then installs to the SD card. The bootdisk feature is what enables the camera to load Magic Lantern at boot time...."

This take me to the next question :

Since ML activate on camera restart, is it possible that change something like "bootdisk flag" on my laptop, trying to read it like was a camera device ?
Any advice, suggestion , please ?
I had more then 250GB that I really need to recover.

Thank you.

Walter Schulz

Different processor, different OS and there is no way to run "Firmware Update" on your computer because this option does not exist there.
Error pointing to secondary SATA interface.
Get an USB 3.0 to SATA adapter and connect your secondary disk to your laptop.