Canon 5D3 looking dead

Started by FilippoRivetti, June 08, 2015, 07:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FilippoRivetti

I've used ML on my 5D3 for some time now with never a problem, but recently it started to act strangely: if the camera would turn off by itself because I wasn't touching it, many times it would not turn on again. I had to remove the battery and reinsert it. Few times I also had to remove and re-attach the lens and same with CF card.
And now it simply doens't turn on anymore.
The red led it's completely dead (doesn't blink when reinserting the battery for exemple).
I have tried all the suggested procedures for "bricked" camera but nothing (removing card and battery and lens, etc).
Anything else to try before contacting my insurance?  :'(

chris_overseas

You could try seeing if there's any life when putting the autoexcec.bin from http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14732.0 onto a bootable card.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

FilippoRivetti

Thanks Chris,

I've tried that but with no results!
Usually the camera looked "alive" even when not turning on (ie the led would blink red after closing the battery lid), but now nothing at all...
No hope for my poor 5D (with a shutter count of more than half a million by the way!)?  :'(

Ronny

When I encountered the same problem once with my 5D2, the closing mechanism of the battery department was broken. The camera never knew, when the battery door was closed again. A 1mm small piece fell out. Canon had to replace the whole battery housing which cost me 250€ :-(

KelvinK

Quote from: FilippoRivetti on June 09, 2015, 08:46:02 AM
Thanks Chris,

I've tried that but with no results!
Usually the camera looked "alive" even when not turning on (ie the led would blink red after closing the battery lid), but now nothing at all...
No hope for my poor 5D (with a shutter count of more than half a million by the way!)?  :'(

It looks like the time for your camera just came. So huge shutter count, you probably abused it with timlapses?
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

FilippoRivetti

Yes, mostly with timelapses!
But if it was a dead shutter, wouldn't the camera still turn on at least?
I'm afraid I've done something because of Magic Lantern (like pulling out the CF card too soon)...

KelvinK

Regarding your symptoms, didn't die suddenly, but slowly. You had to do more and more to wake up it. I think it's mechanical.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

Stedda

You have 500000+ shutter cycles on a shutter ratted for less and still think it's related to Magic Lantern use? Hows that?
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

FilippoRivetti

Because the behaviour seemed connected to ML. And I only had the camera not turning on when I was using ML.
I have no experience with shutter failure, but I guess the camera would at least turn on in that case? Or the led blink?

Just trying some way to resuscitate my camera before having to send it for a check up (I'm since I'm travelling overseas, that's not that easy at the moment!).