6D Update Error - Stuck in Update Loop

Started by abn0021, May 31, 2015, 10:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abn0021

Hi,
I recently bought a 6D and was excited to use ML on it. Like an idiot, I tried to revert back to 1.1.3 from 1.1.6 just by updating. Some sort of error has occurred and I cannot get the camera to get out of the update procedure. I have yet to try to install ML so there has to be a way to fix this normally.

The camera will only boot to the update procedure (Firmware Update Program) and will not run normally. I've tried inserting a card to update from 1.1.6->1.1.6, it goes through the update and gives me the following error: "FIRMWARE UPDATE PROGRAM - Update File Error. Please check memory card and reload the battery and try again." I've had no luck with anything.

I've done with with multiple card, 16-32gb.

Please help!

Walter Schulz

Format card in cardreader.
Format card in cam.
Copy Canon's firmware file (1.1.3) to card.
Run firmware upgrade.

abn0021

I cannot access any menus in the 6D. I turn it on and it searches for Update SD card and wont let me do anything else. :/
If I insert a card without an update on it: "Update file not found. PLease check memory card and reload the battery"

Walter Schulz

Remove card, remove battery. Insert battery.
Result?

abn0021

I've tried doing the update process with many cards with 1.1.6 on them. If I go thorugh the process of updating i get the error, "FIRMWARE UPDATE PROGRAM - Update File Error. Please check memory card and reload the battery and try again."

I remove the battery (which restarts the camera) and try it again with a SD card without an update file on it, it tells me to insert a card with an update present. So I insert another card with 1.1.6 on it...same error as above. Its just a loop.

I cannot get out of the Firmware Update Program screens.

abn0021

If I remove the battery, take the card out, and replace the battery, it just tells me to insert a card with an update present. Cant do anything else.

a1ex

Try formatting the card in another Canon camera.

thhha

I wanted to bump this as I'm having the exact same problem. I've got a pretty much new (under 1,000 actuations) 6D, and I tried to update from 1.1.3 to 1.1.6 using this exact process. I've tried multiple cards. I've tried multiple firmwares (1.1.3, 1.1.4, 1.1.6, 1.1.7), I've tried formatting the card in a separate canon camera first. It is just stuck in a boot loop.

I have not even tried to install Magic Lantern yet on this particular 6D, though I've installed it previously without issue on many other bodies.

The camera will get to 65% each time it tries to update, and then display the "Update File Error"

Canon reps had no idea how to fix this over the phone and suggested bringing it in to Canon Canada for a $49.99 camera servicing.

Very frustrating, and of course it occured one day before a big shoot.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Is this a hardware problem?

Walter Schulz

Use a standard SD-card with 32 GByte or less.
Reset cam to factory defaults (including C.Fn settings).
Format card in cardreader.
Format card in cam after.
Set cam to photo M mode.
Copy extracted FIR file to card.
Retry firmware update.

If the error occurs again:
Connect cam to PC via USB and try firmware update option in EOS Utility.

Please report back.

thhha

I used a 32 gb card. Camera settings were reset before the upgrade. Card was formatted in my computer's SD slot, then in a canon body. Mode dial was on M - though subsequently, I tried Auto and P. FIR file was put in the root of the SD card. Firmware versions 1.1.4, 1.1.6, 1.1.7 each fail at 65%, displaying the update file error.

Unlike OP I did not try to downgrade the firmware initially.

Unfortunately, EOS utility cannot access my camera because it is in its update / boot loop.