White Balance Window blocked by Info-Panel [5D3 w. external Monitor]

Started by donse, February 15, 2017, 02:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donse

I think this qualifies for a note of it's own (It's a serious capture-hindrance out there. I've searched but not found any discussion nor solution):

5D3 using ext. monitor via HDMI (Sony CLM-V55 5" & Marshall V-LCD50): When choosing the EXPO-menu to adjust White Balance, the white balance K-readout is blocked by the bottom info-panel that now suddenly has moved up (!) and now appears in the top of the LV-image - hence hiding the white balance read out panel...

It's a real knock out when doing reportage, run-n-gun style shooting etc. ...

HELP needed - URGENT PLEASE:
Can i possibly make a workaround w. other settings perhaps - have tried (by nature somewhat randomly) but to no avail?

And sorry, i haven't cracked the image upload challenge just yet (bear with me, pls.), but this is what it looks like:
https://flic.kr/p/RNbjam

Best regards :))

donse

HELP needed - URGENT PLEASE:
Has anyone cracked this issue: Can i possibly make a workaround w. other settings perhaps - have tried (by nature somewhat randomly) but to no avail?

- Donse

a1ex

Minor issues like this are very good candidates for easy coding tasks (for new contributors). See the previous fix for details.

donse

Hi there a1ex :)
You're right for sure.

But i'm only good at people, imaging and visual narratives - and a hardcore tech-usr.

But NOT handy at programming or anything like that at all - not even when it comes to 'minor issues'. They are all major issues in my world unfortunately... :(

Another thing: Is it not possible to donate anymore except for bitcoins?

a1ex

Yes, I understand, but this thread is also read by others - some of them with programming skills, to various degrees. Some of them may be affected by the same issue, and maybe one of them will be motivated enough to sit down and fix it.

In many cases, new contributors have little or no idea where to start. I just wanted to point out this particular issue is easy to solve, with no programming background needed.

Re donations: we are not making a living from ML. It's just a hobby project, and seeing others getting their hands dirty with our code and turning it into something better (rather than just using it) is motivating.

Re urgent: this is what actually made me to mark it as "easy coding task"; it was on my todo list before that ;)

donse

Makes perfectly sense.
And pls. don't be mistaken here: i'm extremely grateful for all the effort invested and truly impressed with the outstanding results this project has managed to bring about so far. It's an amazing achievement that has empowered the average users like me to make a hell of a lot more out of our cameras :))
I love it!!
Thank you guys you're in my bedtime prayers <3

Danne

Hi donse. What 5D3 firmware are you running? 1.1.3 or 1.2.3? I never use hdmi monitors and I don,t plan to update from 1.1.3 but if it looks the same on 1.1.3 I could try and help.
What you could do is take the oppurtunity to dig into some basics like compiling and get familiar with the source code. If you are on a mac this is the best way to get your machine ready for compiling.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16012.msg155422#msg155422

If on windows
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15894.0

I havn,t checked deeper into the code but if you follow the link to the previous fix link from a1ex you,ll see the changes in green and the parts in red is what was replaced from before. If it worked before you can trace and do some trial and error editing values around just to see what,s happening. For instance adding back a line in red etc. That is what I would do, consider me a beginner. a1ex even documented well what certain settings do so by just studying comparing changes and testing you might get lucky ;)

donse

Thx for input, Danne (i'm no good at that coding stuff though).

Using 1.2.3 (for HDMI-mirroring). And not sure, if this white balance 'feature' was just the same before the fix of the random black bars, sorry (i'm totally new in mkIII. Just started out w. no historic awareness neither complete comprehension/knowledge yet :)

Best regards

donse

Hi al1x,

Now don't take it wrong please (no pun intended), but pls. let me clear up, if this 'little' issue (well, to me not so 'little' in neither realworld implications as well as coding-wise ; ) is still on the to-do list of yours (not present in update of March 12, and no mention in March 30 update neither)?

Have a great day 8)

donse

Bug report (possibly?):

White Balance Window on HDMI-monitor:
White Balance Window blocked on HDMI-monitor is still present in latest build (march 30) in both 1.1.3 and 1.2.3
I realize most effort here is going onto RAW, and maybe this issue has not been addressed just yet (not sure here)?

Monitor Profile:
Another thing I've come to realize as missing compared to the old 5D2-build in both 1.1.3 and 1.2.3 is the ability to choose an individual monitor profile (i.e. 'portrait') independent of whatever profile is used for recording (i.e. flat) - is this something that is not possible just the same on 5D3?

Best regards