MLVProducer: [v3200]

Started by AWPStar, May 29, 2015, 10:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erkett

Hi there! :)
I love MLVProducer and i think it's the best MLV processing app for my workflow cuz I am able to set hotpixel manually and clean false colors without any artifacts.

But I have two things to say that's hold me back:

• The Verticle Stripe detection is bad. Some MLV-files will not been cleaned or only cleaned in some part of the luminence range. Verticle stripes detection is much better in other post processing apps  like MLV_Dump, MLVFS, MLV APP.
    I have attached a picture with a different with and without the function

• I think it should be better if the White balance adjustment shows kelvin instead of a positive and negative value

If the first statement can be solved I will be more than happy  :D

I use a Canon 5D mark III if it helps.

Best Regards

reddeercity

Do you have the .mlv file that's having a issue ?
Can you post a link to it so I test it ?

masc

Quote from: Erkett on November 10, 2018, 01:53:37 AM
I love MLVProducer and i think it's the best MLV processing app for my workflow cuz I am able to set hotpixel manually and clean false colors without any artifacts.
I use a Canon 5D mark III if it helps.
You have false color artifacts on 5D3 clips?! Really?!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Erkett

Quote from: masc on November 10, 2018, 12:59:36 PM
You have false color artifacts on 5D3 clips?! Really?!

Yes, if I filming a tree with leaves and have a light bakground. Check here!

Is that not normal?

Erkett

Quote from: reddeercity on November 10, 2018, 08:06:43 AM
Do you have the .mlv file that's having a issue ?
Can you post a link to it so I test it ?

Here you have the .MLV file  :)
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiExqIlrKpYglog89tR8nB70YX-S8g

masc

Quote from: Erkett on November 10, 2018, 03:35:24 PM
Yes, if I filming a tree with leaves and have a light bakground. Check here!

Is that not normal?
This is "normal" in 1x recording mode (non-crop) and mostly happens at hard contrast edges. Using some debayer algorithms may increase or lower such artifacts. In MLV-Producer and MLVApp you can select between multiple debayer algorithms... give that a try. In MLV-Producer I don't know exactly which one is best in this situation, in MLVApp it should be IGV.
I tried removing the vertical stripes in both, MLV-Producer and MLVApp. MLVApp removed them completely and the algorithm is opensource. In MLV-Producer it was removed ~50% only... but maybe the MLVApp algorithm (coming from another ML tool here in the forum, forgot which one) can be added to MLV-Producer.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

reddeercity

Confirmed , mlvpproducer can't fix this .

@ AWPStar could have a look at this please .

I can get a clean dng with mlv_dump (3-31-2018 build)

5d3-fixed-stripes-mlv_dump-m23-2042_000000.dng
5d3-fixed-stripes-mlv_dump-m23-2042_000000.png
exported .ppm file with dcraw then saved it to .png in irfanview
so not corrections at all just what you see in the dng .

@Erkett
If you looking for nice and easy GUI for mlv_dump on Windows platform
try MCMLVConverter: multithreaded MLV to DNG  
use it with the new mlv_dump from the download page .

edit: Even MLVFS can't fix this either

Erkett

Quote from: masc on November 10, 2018, 08:44:09 PM
This is "normal" in 1x recording mode (non-crop) and mostly happens at hard contrast edges. Using some debayer algorithms may increase or lower such artifacts. In MLV-Producer and MLVApp you can select between multiple debayer algorithms... give that a try. In MLV-Producer I don't know exactly which one is best in this situation, in MLVApp it should be IGV.
I tried removing the vertical stripes in both, MLV-Producer and MLVApp. MLVApp removed them completely and the algorithm is opensource. In MLV-Producer it was removed ~50% only... but maybe the MLVApp algorithm (coming from another ML tool here in the forum, forgot which one) can be added to MLV-Producer.

Okay, I know that false colors fix it pretty good in MLV-Producer.
Yeah you see the verticle stripes is failing. But why I like MLV-producer more is that I can select hot/bad pixels manually. The auto function in MLV-App add a small artifacts in the high contrast edges cuz it thinks that a bad pixel.
Do you know the different between the two interpolation mode?

AWPStar

@Erkett
@reddeercity
Yes, i will check this.

Thanks for the file. It will help a lot.
MLVProducer. p.s. sorry for my bad english.

[email protected]

when I launch MLVProducer on my windows 10, always got "Runtime error '5':Invalid procedure call or argument.
any suggestions?

reddeercity

@ AWPStar , I've been developing (with help from a1ex) a 720p squeezed mode , [email protected] on 5D2
In which mlvproducer does a great job with it , specially the aliasing & false color filters but I have a small issue
It may be the way I adjusted the image but I get pinkish hi-lights in the almost blown out areas with the 3/5 un-squeeze .
I did a comparison between  After Effects , MLVProducer & MLVApp 1.4v -- Out all three you're App retain all the detail in the
aliasing areas of the test pattern image plus did the best job of recovering detail , while the moiré pattern had the pinkish hi-light
problems . MLVApps did the better job of reducing pinkish hi-light in the moiré patterns but lost detail in the aliasing areas .
A.E. was the least desirable with data missing/holes in the test pattern , it doesn't handle aliasing very well I wouldn't use it .
Here the test MLV from my 5D2 1880x704_48fps_M23-2150.MLV 500MB
If you would like to check it out that would be great .  :)

33trego33

Hello -- I just installed the latest version of ML Producer (on windows 10) and it's fantastic. Thanks for this great piece of software that finally makes magiclantern quick and easy to use.

Only small problem I have is perhaps with the LUTs. I am using the Canon t4i (650d). Although the footage looks good right away, I can't seem to get the color quite right. Reds are always a bit orange, for example. I tried the "Hunter's" LUT for the Canon 5d, but that's not at all right.

Is there a LUT for the t*i series cameras? When I previously shot raw footage and when through the more laborious process with compiling images from dngs into footage, I was able to get perfect color. I am just struggling to learn how to do this in ML Producer. Any tips much appreciated.

2blackbar

Hi, this software preserves highlights a bit better than other mlv tools out there but i have one question about 11 bit lossless mlv from canon M, when i import it then its a bit darker than lets say 14 bit lossless.
Is it normal ? Any way to change that ? I tried different method to reconstruct green but it just helps tiny bit and stretches histogram.
On 14 bit histogram is nicely distributed but on 11 bit lossless its squeezed to half its length.

AWPStar

@2blackbar
Can you send me this file?

2blackbar

I made new one 11 bits lossless cause I dont have the ones above anymore, is there anything specific you need ? It looks like MLV producer treats differently lossless footage and it limits exposure making footage too dark, if theres anything specific you want me to film , let me know.
Baby footage looks good in it and the one im posting now looks dark.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18WohgnudwfXvTEa5uF6grSp5C_6SLFNi
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zAL1oTAm5TqExNadjr9zxIHQpGm0OHGu
Both from canon eos M

AWPStar

@2blackbar
MLV Header tells that this is 14 bit file.
I'm not sure how to determine this in lossless file.
But i can make an option "Use input levels". It will use black and white levels.

2blackbar

When i open it then its darker, all lossless footage is darker in mlvproducer, 10,12 or 14 bit and uncompressed has correct histogram spread and brightness.
I can send you 10 and 12 bits too, just let me know.

AWPStar

andy kh

AWPStar thank you for this fantastic app. few days back i shoot some raw video after a long time and compare this app with mlvapp and love this app as the outcome is supeb very cinematic which i always wanted.

is there any way to have a strength slider for the lut input?
5D Mark III - 70D

2blackbar

AWPStar

@andy kh
>is there any way to have a strength slider for the lut input?
Oh. i forgot about it. i'll do it in a week.

skitron

First post here, congrats on a wonderful piece of software!

I did find an issue with build 3369. When attempting to render output to common H.264 I get an error dialog "Run-time error'53': File not found: mlvpctl.dll". Note that closing the dialog will close the software UI but ffmpeg.exe continues to run in background and must be manually terminated before MLVProducer.exe can be restarted.

The render function works fine in builds 3200 and 3261 (and "mlvpctl.dll" is not in those builds).

I also noticed the screen behavior changed between 3200 and 3261. In 3200 the X/Y proportion is maintained when stretching the UI. If the UI is too small to accommodate the image, it truncates. In 3261 and up, the X/Y proportion is not maintained when the UI is stretched and the image stretches with the UI frame. Is there a way to set it to maintain the X/Y proportion and resize the image to fit the available area when stretching the frame? (If not, no big deal)

best regards

AWPStar

@skitron
Thank you!

Oh. i forgot to include this file. shame on me.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mlvproducer/files/mlvpctl.dll/download
Put it in the main folder or download full version.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mlvproducer/files/mlvp.alpha.build3369_test.zip/download

Try to change scale option to "Fit"

skitron

Thanks AWPStar, both worked perfectly!

I also found a minor issue with Edit>Save Preset:

The "Enter preset Name" and "Overwrite?" dialogs get hidden behind the main preset dialog (where each desired option is checked) upon clicking the Save button, unless the main dialog is first moved off-center of workspace. Easy enough to work around, but wanted to report what I found.

Best regards.

skitron

Does anyone know of an output format from MLVP that can be imported to Premier Pro CS6? I realize the problem is with CS6 (old) since the H.264 outputs work fine in everything else but what I want to use them in....

I found an older post here mentioning H.264 420 but no luck.

[edit]

I found this thread https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1465247 in the Adobe forums and per the "answer" post created a .bat file with:

ffmpeg.exe -i "M09-1518.mov" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "M09-1518.mp4"

...and the resulting MP4 loads in to CS6 just fine. So I believe MLVP could add an output option to tell ffmpeg to create MP4 and it would work?

At least I have a workaround, but I am willing to test as much as needed if you can add it!  :)

best regards