Yosemite In Shrouds - Timelapses

Started by calebdescognets, May 27, 2015, 10:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calebdescognets

Hello everyone!

This is my first full edit besides a few tests using magic lantern's raw video.  I'm pretty happy with how this turned out being it my first real effort with timelapses and raw video but I still seem to be getting a small amount of noise in my shadows in a some of my shots (look to first shot of half dome at 00:52).  Maybe this is due to adjusting the shadow and highlight levels too much when grading in lightroom?  Any input is appreciated!

Thanks

- shot on mark iii + 24-70 f2.8 + nikkor ai-s 200 f4
- Converted with raw magic lite
- graded in lightroom and exported as tiffs
- converted to image sequence in quicktime 7 and exported to prores 422 hq
- edited in fcpx and final exported as prores 422 hq

Mehmet Kozal

Great images man. Well processed too.
Canon 650D user. Also, Bilal Fakhouri is a hero.

MysteriousLight

Nice. Yosemite is beautiful. I'm planning on doing some shooting there too but its 6 hours away from my place.

Yes I did notice the grain at 0:52 as well when in full screen HD. Perhaps it's the file you chose to upload to vimeo. They encode it down to h264 5mbps so it's best to upload in h264 for best results. Youtube and vimeo both recommend 10-20 mbps h264 uploads for best results.

If it was in the clip before upload, then I'm not too sure what would cause that. Perhaps you were in auto iso and you shot the scene with too little natural light.

Great work :)

calebdescognets

Quote from: MysteriousLight on May 30, 2015, 01:31:10 AM

Yes I did notice the grain at 0:52 as well when in full screen HD. Perhaps it's the file you chose to upload to vimeo. They encode it down to h264 5mbps so it's best to upload in h264 for best results. Youtube and vimeo both recommend 10-20 mbps h264 uploads for best results.

If it was in the clip before upload, then I'm not too sure what would cause that. Perhaps you were in auto iso and you shot the scene with too little natural light.

Great work :)

I noticed the grain in my shadows once I converted my TIFF frames to image sequences for each clip so it was apparent even before editing the clips together.  My settings were fully manual too so I have no idea what that might be coming from :(

Does anyone else possibly have any idea where the noise in the shadows might be coming from if not from high iso and not from compression?

calebdescognets

Maybe the noise is coming from a bad signal to noise ratio and then pulling up shadows in post? With the mark iii I never exceed iso 1600 (maybe one shot was at 3200) which I know it can handle without too much noticeable noise.  Maybe it's just an matter of using ettr?

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!