Huge Problem with 50D aperture

Started by ThankMeLater, May 27, 2015, 10:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThankMeLater

Hey Guys,

Today i made some raw videos with my 50D. The Problem is:

It always films with open aperture ! No matter what aperture I choose (16 f.e) the depth of field is always the same :( . The aperture ring simply doesnt close. The only thing that happens is the image getting darker. Usually if you hit the shot button to shoot a photo the aperture ring closes. Shouldn't this also be the case in Live View or at least when I hit the record button ?

I hope you guys can give me answers here. I really feel like selling my 50D now.

Thanks in advance !

Frank7D

ThankMeLater

Yes. just re-checked

Edit:
I just deleted the bootflag and inserted a cf card without magic lantern installed. If I now press the rec button the movie recording starts. Guess this shouldnt be. I think there is some software error.

Edith 2:
Now i did a hard reset (remove main and second battery) and reinstalled the original canon firmware. So NO ML installed, fresh canon firmware and factory defaults --> I can still shoot movies :D ... weird

Grzegorz

Try to change the aperture in live view mode from magic lantern menu, I am sure it will work. You can not do it through controls on your body, at least not with exposure override on.

kitor

QuoteI just deleted the bootflag and inserted a cf card without magic lantern installed. If I now press the rec button the movie recording starts. Guess this shouldnt be. I think there is some software error.
I have a friend with exactly the same "anomaly". Is this related to how ML enables recording function in 50d, or something interesting to investigate?
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.