Feature Request: Mic Record Warning

Started by Kharak, May 25, 2015, 03:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kharak

This is just an initial idea. Improvements are welcome.

I always record with a phantom powered mic that I need to turn on separately. In the heat of the action I occasionally forget to turn it on and don't find out until 1-2 mins in to the take or throughout an entire take.. User error, I know. But I think it could be very helpful if there was a warning that popped up, just a simple text saying "Mic recording ON?" or something of the sorts, no beep ofcourse.. The warning could be activated in a sub menu of VSound. So that people who don't bother with this don't have to see the warning.

I'm just thinking how the warning could be triggered without disturbing during silent scenes.. Perhaps it could be a warning that pops up when audio levels stay at -40 db after X amount of seconds after recording has started, maybe 10 or 15 seconds? Just an idea to how the warning could be triggered..

Could also be a general warning for audio levels when they are too low. like -32 to -40 db.

once you go raw you never go back

dmilligan

Sounds like another perfect use case for: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14828.0

The checking levels thing isn't possible in lua just yet, I'm sort of waiting until the new audio backend gets finished to add the audio API for lua, but it should be easy once that's in place.