Canon 6D Err 06!

Started by RTLdan, May 25, 2015, 08:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTLdan

Hello ML Users and Devs!
I was recently taking pictures on my Canon 6D (1.1.3 firmware, ML nightly from end of April/Early March 2015)
and received the err06 message. At first I thought it was just something random, so I popped out the battery, popped it back in, and it seemed to work fine. But eventually the message came back. At last, it wouldn't go away and I was essentially locked out of the camera. Finally I looked up the error code -- Err 06 is Sensor Cleaning Malfunction. Uh Oh. I tried different batteries. I tried "resetting" the camera by having the battery removed for a long time -- I can't access the clock battery, however, without opening up the body, which I'm not inclined to do. I read a tip online about booting into movie mode, then disabling the automatic sensor cleaning to at least get the camera into a usable state again. That worked ok, but of course now I am nervous about what is actually wrong with my camera.

My camera is out of warranty but only has approximately 12k actuations on it, and has been cared for like a baby.
What causes an Err06? Can it be repaired at home? How much has Canon been known to charge to fix it? And finally, am I risking damage to the camera if I take photos in the meantime with it disabled?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Best,
-Daniel

Levas

I would be surprised if ML caused this. So my guess bad luck.
But with only 12K shutter actuations, I would go to the store where I bought it and send it back to Canon.

I once had the 18-200 3,5-5,6 lens from canon where the lock mechanism broke and got stuck inside. Long after the standard warranty of 1 year.
I went to the store where I bought it and they send it back to Canon, repair was for free, so probably a known fabrication or design fault.