Sony: you've got to smile

Started by garry23, April 30, 2015, 02:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

There has been a lot of hype in the last week or so on  the 'incredible' Sony touchless shutter app, that exploits the viewfinder properties to allow the user to trigger the camera by bringing their hand close to the view finder.

Of course as an ML power user I've had this feature for a while...and more :-)

I'm on a tripod.

Simply switch on motion detection under the shoot menu, I use trigger by expo change, trigger level 8, detect size large and a 1s delay.

I then switch the power users mode, ie LV ;-)

I compose and in LV use the depth of field feedback, now with diffraction correction, to set the focus.

I then ETTR via the SET.

I then simply wave my hand in front of the lens to trigger the capture in an touchless manner.

ML outshines all others once again.

DeafEyeJedi

Great read, @garry23!

Thanks for sharing...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

a1ex

Quote from: garry23 on April 30, 2015, 02:54:04 AM
There has been a lot of hype in the last week or so on  the 'incredible' Sony touchless shutter app, that exploits the viewfinder properties to allow the user to trigger the camera by bringing their hand close to the view finder.

On some Rebel cameras, you have this: http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#lcdsensor_remote

It uses the face sensor, which normally turns off the LCD when you look through viewfinder.

On 5D2, a while ago I tried to use the ambient light sensor, but the detection wasn't reliable and reading it crashed the camera.

garry23

I wasn't aware of the ML Rebel feature.

I can report that the 5D3.113 triggers off my hand nicely.

The only strangeness I notes is that the trigger mode seems to go to off when you switch the camera off, ie not stay in the enabled state.

Also, ETTR triggers an image capture if trigger mode enabled.