PP Video Limiter only method of resolving pink Highlights?

Started by choobysnacks, May 24, 2015, 02:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choobysnacks

Hello everyone,

I just want to start off by apologizing for the double post. After searching the forum i was able to find the answer to the weird pink highlight issue. I came across the Resolve method but found that using the video limiter effect within premiere pro seems to have worked the best. For those not familiar with the process ill post a tutorial below. Anyway, regarding my question, using the resolve method http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6845.0 and the Video limiter effect in premiere are the only two options at the moment to slightly resolve this pink highlight issue?

My workflow is as follows:
.RAW file converted in MLRAWViewer then transcoded into ProRes (to add the Slog-2 LUT)

Here are my settings:

If you intend on using speedgrade for color grading, make sure that your "Lumetri" effect is placed UNDER the "Video Limiter" effect or the pink highlights can become present if otherwise.

Video Limiter Off:

Video Limiter ON:

However, the only issue with this method is if you look closely at the garbage bags in the background outlined by the red circle, you can notice that in some situations the limiter causes some weird color artifacts when you push it too far. Unfortunately, if you increase the "Chroma Max" value to much, it will reduce the artifacts, but bring back the pink highlights..

Any thoughts? I heard adobe was going to address a fix to this issue, but the pink highlights are present outside of adobe. It seems that this is something introduced from raw files in general.

Again, sorry for the double post, i hope that this is more specific and may help some user with this same problem.

Kharak

What version of PP are you using? And what converter?

I never had these pink highlights since Adobe rolled out the CinemaDNG pink highlight fix.
Quote from: choobysnacks on May 24, 2015, 02:39:05 AM
Any thoughts? I heard adobe was going to address a fix to this issue, but the pink highlights are present outside of adobe. It seems that this is something introduced from raw files in general.
(which you heard they were going to address :) )

If you are using CC then I suggest you update Premiere

But if you see the highlights outside of Adobe, then change your converter.

MlrawViewer, MLVFS and RAW2CDNG are the latest converters with correct Black level.
once you go raw you never go back

choobysnacks

Quote from: Kharak on May 27, 2015, 02:09:35 PM
What version of PP are you using? And what converter?

But if you see the highlights outside of Adobe, then change your converter.

MlrawViewer, MLVFS and RAW2CDNG are the latest converters with correct Black level.

Thank you for your reply!

I am using the latest 2014 update of premiere. Also, I am using the latest update of MLRawViewer (1.4.3 I believe) I can see the pink fringing in MLRawViewer, which then is present in the prores QuickTime files I convert to afterwards outside of premiere (QuickTime player) I have noticed that there is a "fix black level" (going off of memory here) within the magic lantern menu. Should this be turned on? I am also using the latest nightly 1.2.3 ML.

Kharak

I don't use Fix Black level as it is not needed anymore.

All I can recommend now is you try RAW2CDNG or if you are on Macintosh then try MLVFS

choobysnacks

I am on Mac. I tried MLVFS, but I prefer to go right to prores instead on a DNG image sequence. Also when shooting in MLV I don't like that the screen becomes full screen on the camera. I have set my aspect ratio within the menu but then by the time I hit record the aspect ratio goes away.. Am I doing something wrong? I assume I can chose an overlay with the correct aspect ratio, but I like that when shooting in RaW mode the aspect ratio remains the same as it has been set. I hear that MLV(version 2.0) is a better format than shooting raw (version 1), so maybe this is where my problem with the pink highlights lies..?

Just tested this with previous versions of MLRawViewer, and raw2dng and i am still getting sign of pink fringing on highlights. any thoughts?

choobysnacks

@Kharak
Here is a link to the .RAW file from the above screen grabs. If anyone has a workflow that eliminates the pink highlights, i would greatly appreciate the input!

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0tf643qo1gx10b8/AABYWefm63e-M2cwB6gjP3Z9a?dl=0

Thanks again for the great support!

Kharak

looking at your file I can see that it is Chromatic Aberration and not pink highlight causing this. The reason it looks so severe is because PP does not use the best debayering method.

Simple fix is to open the file in AE and fix the aberration in ACR.

Andy600

There is a small amount of CA and your WB was off but nothing ACR couldn't fix
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

ItsMeLenny

I do apologise choobysnacks, after downloading the file (2 hours 11 minutes 10 seconds), then forgetting about the file, I finally got to try it.
It's not the pink highlights issue I was raving on about. It did look like that to me in the picture.

I was about to say I see a bit of chromatic abberation, which kharak said that, that's caused by lenses (all lenses, just better lenses do it less), whether that's part of the problem.

In MlRawViewer, when the debayer patter (quality of preview) is changed from bicubic to AMaZE it gets rid of some of the issue, but MlRawViewer should export with AMaZE regardless of preview settings I believe.

I myself have no idea what's causing those pink bits.

Sorry for wasting your time earlier :P

choobysnacks

Thank you very much for everyones replies! I would have never guessed it was Chromatic Aberration.. I was using a 24mm L-series lens, which surprises me because its not a cheap lens..

Quote from: Kharak on May 28, 2015, 12:48:27 PM
Simple fix is to open the file in AE and fix the aberration in ACR.

Quote from: Andy600 on May 28, 2015, 02:27:12 PM
There is a small amount of CA and your WB was off but nothing ACR couldn't fix

I was able to address the fix in ACR via the "Remove Chromatic aberration" in a DNG sequence. However, my only question, is there a way that the CA can be removed once i convert to ProRes 444 from MLRawViewer? I prefer the workflow of prores and like that i am able to convert with a flat profile (as seen in my above grabs) I suppose that i cannot enable ACR in after effects if i have already converted to prores? Or would this require a different way of removing CA if not in a DNG sequence?

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on May 28, 2015, 03:14:46 PM
Sorry for wasting your time earlier :P

No worries! New insight is always beneficial!

DeafEyeJedi

If you want to use AE in order to enable CA fix in ACR then why not try MLVFS with AE and then export as ProRes from there?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

choobysnacks

I have not been able to get MLVFS to work. I have tried before using .RAW files and it does not seem to convert them. I like using MlRawViewer because I can apply an Slog-2 LUT right into prores from there. Anyway that I can apply that LUT in after effects?

DeafEyeJedi

What Mac OS are you running? What exactly do you mean you aren't able to get MLVFS to work?

I like using Cinelog-C as a log space. Check them out from @Andy600 -- they are great products!

So my preffered workflow would be as it follows:

MLVFS > AE (to apply Cinelog-C in ACR) > either you can export as ProRes444 with the log directly from AE and then use ProRes file in any NLE that you like in order to apply a LUT that you like...

...OR just simply add the LUT that you want on top of the Cinelog-C through OpenColorIO plugin within AE which I find it fascinating!

I've also heard bunch of a good things about Davinci Resolve but unfortunately for all of both of my Mac's it just won't run it without crashing if I try to import RAW/MLV files into it.

so IMO, I'm a happy camper with Adobe's apps plus I can't resist away from ACR so AE is actually really nice!

Danne

QuoteI have not been able to get MLVFS to work. I have tried before using .RAW files and it does not seem to convert them. I like using MlRawViewer because I can apply an Slog-2 LUT right into prores from there. Anyway that I can apply that LUT in after effects?

You can add luts in AE so that should work. Open up your sequence in AE, dng files automatically opens up in acr. fix your abberations hit ok. Then apply any lut you like in AE.

Andy600

@choobysnacks - re: CA in ProRes files. You can fix it to a point using chroma blurring. In Resolve you can just select YUV colorspace on a node, disable the Y (luminance) channel then add a little blur. It works 90% of the time. I'm not sure how you would do something similar in Premier though. White balance, noise reduction, CA and distortion are all best done/fixed before you render to ProRes.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

dmilligan

MLVFS does not support the old RAW format. I did this on purpose because I want to discourage people from using it and encourage them to use MLV instead.

Unless you are trying to eek out every last little bit of performance, I strongly recommend you use MLV instead of RAW. You get audio, metadata, and a much more robust format.

(For your framing issue, simply allow global draw while recording in the MLV menu; MLV is actually more flexible and has more options when it comes to stuff like framing, and it actually has a lot more options in general, I would suggest looking through the entire MLV submenu and familiarizing/playing with all the different settings)

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Danne on May 29, 2015, 01:49:05 AM
You can add luts in AE so that should work. Open up your sequence in AE, dng files automatically opens up in acr. fix your abberations hit ok. Then apply any lut you like in AE.
& that's the beauty of AE...  8)

Quote from: Andy600 on May 29, 2015, 01:57:02 AM
White balance, noise reduction, CA and distortion are all best done/fixed before you render to ProRes.
Agreed!

choobysnacks

Thank you everyone for your replies. It seems that it is best that i stick with editing in DNG files if there is any flaws with my footage (hence the significance of raw) however, i am having a hard time with this process. Basically this is what i plan my workflow to consist of. I like MLRawViewer, so i will remain using it to convert to prores and adding an Slog-2 lut because i like the extra bit of dynamic range it gives. However, my difficulty stands when i bring my footage into after effects to fix CA. My question is, where can i download the same Slog-2 LUT (as in MLRawViewer) so that i can fix the CA in ACR and then add the Slog-2 Lut to then output in Prores to bring back into Premiere? Essentially I want to output from after effects with the same flat look as if I were to output from MlRawViewer after my adjustments have been made in ACR.

Thanks again  guys!

choobysnacks

Just an after thought, I happen to realize that I had a VERY cheap variable ND filter on the lens. I have been shooting with the 5D for sometime now and not once have I noticed CA. This has been the first time I opened up ND filter and thought I would give it a shot. I know I won't know for sure until I do a side by side comparison, but thought I would ask if anyone had any thoughts before I perform some extensive test. Could this be the culprit? The ND filter is: http://m.ebay.com/itm/Fotga-77mm-Slim-Fader-ND-Neutral-Density-Filter-ND2-to-ND400-Wide-Adjustable-/261027810137

Thought I would ask, sorry to double post