What is the workflow involving RAW files?

Started by MysteriousLight, May 23, 2015, 11:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MysteriousLight

I have a few questions regarding the workflow associated with using Magic Lantern. I'm very new to this and I'm planning on taking the plunge. I'm the guinea pig and I will probably recommend ML to my friends who are using 70d in case I figure this out.

1. What is the average files size of a RAW video file? Assuming its 1920 x 1080 RAW video files for 30 minutes.

2. How do you import RAW video files into Adobe After Effects? Does it work natively with AE or do you need to install a plugin for it to work with RAW video?

3. I'm assuming RAW is not a digital format, so it upscales pretty good. Would movies saved in RAW be future-proof when 4k starts becoming more ubiquitous?

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: MysteriousLight on May 23, 2015, 11:56:01 PM
1. What is the average files size of a RAW video file? Assuming its 1920 x 1080 RAW video files for 30 minutes.
https://rbrune.github.io/mlraw/

MysteriousLight

Frank7D

2. You can convert MLV to DNGs (image sequence that AE can import) using any of several converters found here.
If you choose to use MLVFS then you get "virtual" cDNGs more quickly than making real ones, so you save some time.
Here's the workflow I use (may or may not be right for you depending on your setup).

Edit: fixed bad links.

g3gg0

Quote from: MysteriousLight on May 23, 2015, 11:56:01 PM
3. I'm assuming RAW is not a digital format, so it upscales pretty good. Would movies saved in RAW be future-proof when 4k starts becoming more ubiquitous?

wrong assumption. digital sensor, digital camera, digital file format.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

MysteriousLight

Quote2. You can convert MLV to DNGs (image sequence that AE can import) using any of several converters found here.
If you choose to use MLVFS then you get "virtual" cDNGs more quickly than making real ones, so you save some time.
Here's the workflow I use (may or may not be right for you depending on your setup).
Thanks! I bookmarked your workflow. What I'm worried about is MLVFS since it seems to be a bit tricky when using windows.

MysteriousLight

Quotewrong assumption. digital sensor, digital camera, digital file format.
Makes sense. I'm still wondering if say a 720p RAW video would still be better than a 1080p h264 since the 70d Magic lantern is still in development and it only has 720p as with continuous shooting and I'm planning on shooting hour long videos.