Which camera?

Started by Uqbar, May 23, 2015, 11:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uqbar

I am coming back to reflex photography and would like to buy a Canon camera that can use ML.
I am thinking about an entry level or a midrange camera.
I think you here have enough experience to provide me with some valuable hint.
Thanks in advance.

Walter Schulz

You gave no preferences other than ML has to run on it. Therefore all ML supported cameras will do well for you.
Give more specs about the fields you want to cover and you will may get an answer more specific.

Uqbar

I won't be a reporter but just an amateur photographer. This is why I am aiming at an entry level or midrange camera.
Which kind of reference should I provide?
Optics type? I used to enjoy a 35/70 mm zoom.
Environment? Mostly outdoor.
What else?

Conaxe

7d is weather sealed and highly maintained. 700d wouldn't be a bad choice either far cheaper
70D.111B

Levas

If you're not sure what you want yet, just buy the cheapest Canon DSLR that runs ML (so 1200d isn't an option at the moment, doesn't run ML...).
In the entry level/mid range, image quality differences are minimum, price difference is more about options like number of focus points and burst rate speed etc.

Great chance you know what you want after a year or some shooting, and then buy the DSLR of your dreams.

ansius

6D would be a good choice, picture wise it is stellar, full frame, runs ML. it lacks some of features needed for more pro work, like ergonomics, hdmi changes resolution while filming, comparably slow (to 7D i use).

if low light performance is not so important - 50D is grate camera and really cheep.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

Uqbar

@ansius I wouldn't mark the 5D as either an "entry level" or a "midrange" camera. It sounds quite expensive for my wallet.
@conaxe The 700D seems to be much closer to my possibilities.
@Levas Any opinion about the 1100D? Is it so important the body stabilization?

Any other hint?

Levas

Depends on what the price difference is and if you also wan't to use the video function.
For photo's only, the 1100d is fine and cheap, although you get 1,5 times as many megapixels with the 700d. (12megapixel vs 18 megapixel)

And the 700d can shoot HD video(1920x1080), where the 1100d shoots only HD ready video (1280x720).

So I guess it depends on how important the video function and the price difference is for you.

Walter Schulz

Another factor may be weight and size. Some people don't like big cams to carry around and others cannot find a good grip on smaller ones.

Uqbar

I have quite large hands  :P so a large camera is far from being a problem.
Video is not my main aim, while having it is a good plus.
I need to see whether I can find a 700D for a good price.
I have read here that someone is working on the port for the 1200D which seems to be a very nice amateur camera.
I could even get this one (1 year younger) and wait/hope for a port to be finished in the near future.
I have a 13Mpx smartphone camera that can shoot very nice pictures thanks to its modded firmware.
Unluckily the optics is the problem: no depth, vignetting and some edge distortions.
In this case 13Mps are more than enough, but I think that with real optics (far larger than a small shard of glass) 18Mpx would be better. Wouldn't they?