SD card crash 600D?

Started by boxerguy8888, May 17, 2015, 07:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boxerguy8888

I searched for the last two days for someone with this same issue but no luck, so.. Ive been using the stable ML for like two years now and finally decided to move up to the nightly builds, so i format card, download most recent nightly build, replace card in camera and as soon as i power on i receive error on screen overlaying menu screen card error not compatible, immediatly shut down and remove battery and card. I then replace both and try again with no results, wont even power up and no red light when inserting/removing card. remove both again and power on without card and it works fine. I tried to put card back in my computer to either wipe and try again or go back to stable release but my computer wont even recognize the card, doesnt even register it in the slot. I know in the big scheme losing a card is nothing, boo hoo poor me, but they aint cheap and i aint rich, plus if someone has encountered this before they might be able to tell me what i did wrong before i go messing up any more of my cards. canon 600D recreation/hobby type user.

Licaon_Kter

You can't even format it on the computer?

boxerguy8888

No, I put it in the card slot and nothing. The computer acts as if there's nothing there.

boxerguy8888

So, I believe I figured out where I may have went wrong. The card I used was a 64gb.. I now remember that when first installing 2.3 it had to be a low memory card initially, is that also the case with the nightly builds? I followed the directions precisely. If this is the case thats something they may want to include in the nightly builds instructions, if someone can tell me for sure if this was my problem id appreciate it. Or maybe.. I also didnt try using the EOScard to boot it, but tried the firmware install way?

Walter Schulz

On 600D you have to use ML v2.3 "stable" for first install. There is a very detailed guide for all 2.3 issues included.
You can't use nightly builds with Canon's firmware update option on this cam.
So you have to make card bootable using EOScard/MacBoot.

If cam's bootflag is set (prepared by v2.3 "stable"):
- Format card in cam
- Run EOScard/MacBoot with card in cardreader to make card bootable.
- Wipe ML directory, all FIR files and autoexec.bin from card's root directoy.
- Copy extracted nightly build contents to card
- Insert card into cam and startup.

boxerguy8888

Thank you! yes that explains where i went wrong, I had stable 2.3 installed and I downloaded and attempted to install nightly build without using the EOScard but by the firmware way instead, which apparently fried my memory card. could have been worse I guess. Thanks for the info! If I may ask, are there really any major changes with the nightly builds where the 600D is concerned? I know there are a lot newer better cams out there so I dont know how worried about including the 600D they would be, If not I may just stick with the good ol' 2.3 that ive been completely happy with so far.