Philippines 5D MK3 Magic Lantern RAW

Started by joshzoo, May 16, 2015, 10:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshzoo

Hey Guys Here's a video i shot on my Canon 5D MK3 for STA Travel in the Philippines.

I tried something different and instead of rendering each Video i exported them all together from After effects which saved alot of time in post and space on my hardrive, but i would say the quality is very slightly lower, but i'm happy with the result. 

https://vimeo.com/127205608

Would love to hear any feedback and feel free to ask any questions!

thejturner

Great shots (some are actually amazing) and totally does the job in terms of making me want to go to the Philippines. Also, I'm impressed at the overall variety of camera angles you attempted.

Personal picky criticism:

Grade and grain feels overdone. It's almost to the point where it feels like it's trying to tell some story about a Philippines of the past, not the present. The noise is very distracting at some moments, also there is quite a bit of flickering throughout. I'm guessing this is because it was processed with ACR (maybe over-processed in this case).

Too many moments where I feel rolling shutter artifacts or stabilization artifacts. I would just try to cut around those parts or cut the shots (you have a lot of shots as it is).

I love the seemingly naturalistic shots of the local people and terrain. The traveler and some of the drone shots make it feel a little too dressed-up and take away from that warm intimacy of those portraits and locales. It's almost like you could make a few different edits. This being the most action-oriented one and maybe another that is more documentary-like, slower or first person. Really like the shot where the traveler is out of focus because it give just enough of his identity without telling too much (you feel like you are in his head experiencing the moment). When you see the traveler, it sort of takes back to the reality that this is advertising (not necessarily a bad thing).

Licaon_Kter

Nicely done.

My nickpick is just that all the clips look like they have "the summer blockbuster" teal+orange filter applied, and while that works ok in some scenes, I feel that they can't all be having a cool (as in lower temperature) morning look.