Sincerely, the Past - Urbex short shot on 5D mark III RAW 4k upscale

Started by scarluuk, May 13, 2015, 01:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarluuk

Hi all,

I have shown this video before, but i made a few small adjustments and really wanted to share it again.
It was almost completely shot on the 5D mark III with ML RAW (there are 2 shots in here shot with the bmpcc and 1 shot on the 7D with the regular codec)
Edited in Premiere and graded in Davinci Resolve with Impulz, after this it was imported in After Effects and upscaled to 4k, then sharpened and i added 4k film grain to make the upscale more realistic.
Hope you guys like it! I will upload a blogpost about grading this piece soon on my website: http://www.luukdekok.nl/blog/

Most of the locations were in Belgium.

Make sure to watch in 4k!

You don't need eyes to see, you need vision.
Canon 5D mark III / Canon 24-105mm F4L IS / Samyang 14mm T3.1 / Samyang 24mm T1.5 / Canon 50mm F1.4 / Samyang 85mm T1.5

Jay429

Some really nice shots in there, great work!
if i would give any critique, it would be maybe the noise is a bit to much... but thats my personal preference, but really really good work.
Really love that shot at 1.27
Looking forward to seeing your blogpost about the grading!
Great stuff dude!

scarluuk

Thanks!
The grain is a combination of taste and to make the 4k more plausible, but it's something i really like in the style of the short, but perhaps it's a bit too much.
The shot at 1.27 was done with a tripod where I only extended 2 legs so i could use it as a sort of Jib to go over the edge haha.
Blog is in development, i will post it here soon!
Canon 5D mark III / Canon 24-105mm F4L IS / Samyang 14mm T3.1 / Samyang 24mm T1.5 / Canon 50mm F1.4 / Samyang 85mm T1.5

khayyamkhan

Great work @scarluuk! I think it's looks great and that the upscale was actually effective. My fav shot is at 0:12. It's simple but gives sense of adventure for the "characters". Can you talk a little about your grade? Which set of impulz LUT's did you use? Mostly left untouched or big grade in nodes before lut?

DeafEyeJedi

Great work @scarluuk -- care to explain the spec/settings you used as well as the workflow with color grade w Impulz?

Thanks for sharing!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

scarluuk

Thanks!
I mostly worked with the Visionlog RAW tab and the Kodak Vision 3 500T (C41 and NEG) LUT.
I tweaked the CDNG settings (lift, gain, shadow, highlight etc) but worked with the BMDfilm color profile.
Most of the footage was darkened and flattened AFTER the LUT, which is unusual because normally one would mostly work before a LUT.
I'm currently working on a blog post of grading this project, so stay tuned and check out http://www.luukdekok.nl/blog/, I think i will have it online next weekend.

Jay429

really looking forward to seeing your blog post :D
Keep checking back everyday!!!
lol

MysteriousLight

Great writing on top of the video editting. Where di you get your background music?

Jay429

hey mate you still planning on doing a post on your blog regarding this video?

scarluuk

Quote from: Jay429 on June 12, 2015, 04:02:50 PM
hey mate you still planning on doing a post on your blog regarding this video?

Still working on it! i had the unfortunate luck that my iMac broke down, it's still in repair (almost 4 weeks now...) and when i get it back i can finally start with the blog again. However, i probably lost all my grades, so have to make a few of them from scratch.
But that's okay, because now i can make a time-lapse of it so how with my breakdown :)
So hold on, it's coming but i can't tell you when. (probably within 2 weeks)

Quote from: MysteriousLight on May 28, 2015, 04:41:59 AM
Great writing on top of the video editting. Where di you get your background music?

Thanks!
We made the music ourselves in Logic pro :)

ricbi1

Beautiful stuff man! I am personally loving these 4K upscaling experiments. Doing some myself. They look great on YouTube, way better than HD. I love exporting directly out of Resolve in 4K. It does a great job at keeping details and color info.