ML, dual-iso and auto iso

Started by freestylee30, May 12, 2015, 10:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freestylee30

I'm sorry if this has been discussed here someplace, but I couldn't find it. I don't use ML yet, but I am seriously considering it for my 6D, especially now that it supports 1.1.6.

Basically, I'm trying to understand if dual-iso functions with auto-iso and if so, how?

I find myself using auto iso a lot here lately with my kids. Generally it just makes life easier for me - Shoot in manual so that I can control shutter speed (generally 1/250-ish to freeze crazy kids), aperture (depends on shot) and then just let iso fluctuate depending on if I'm in the house (could be 800-6400) or outside (100-???).

Again, I've never used ML, so maybe it would all make much more sense if I had some experience with it, but I'm trying to determine if ML would be beneficial for me and as stupid as it sounds, how dual-iso and auto iso function together might mean using it or not.

Or maybe I'm just ignorant on the whole thing (ML in general)... please educate me!

Thanks

freestylee30

Shoot, I JUST found the General Help Q&A forum... probably a better place for this - feel free to move it!

Sorry  :-[

LU72

Think of ML's Dual ISO feature as a step-up from HDR processing. If you have an interest in that (which involves post processing your images) then I'd definitely recommend it. If you're more interested in getting an optimal ISO for every shot, then what you're already doing should be enough.

In answer to your question: "dual-iso functions with auto-iso and if so, how?" Yes (in a way). It can work together with ML's A-ETTR (analyses your image and decides shutter speed and ISO, decides if you need Dual ISO or not as long as you have that feature enabled). Suggested reading:

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/ettr
600D (T3i), Vivitar Battery Grip, Sigma 17-70C, Canon 10-18 EF-S, Canon 1.8 50mm STM II, Sigma 70-300 APO, Speedlite 430 exII

garry23

Audionut

Yes it does, but it's probably best not to use dual ISO in this fashion. 

Search for dual ISO and my username, start reading.

garry23

@Audionut

Sorry what are you suggesting is not a 'best use' of Dual?

rpt

I have used Dual ISO with auto ISO by setting the recovery ISO to -4EV. Naturally if the base ISO goes beyond 800 the picture is not going to look exceptional but I think a picture is better than no picture. Play around with it. It is fun. You can shoot into the light without a flash!

Audionut

Auto ISO + dual ISO.

There's like a scale of dual ISO usefulness determined by base ISO and exposure.  When you're running around in auto mode, you have no control over this usefulness.

garry23

@Audionut

OK, fully agree.  I never use auto ISO with dual.

I thought you were commenting on something I had said on my blog post.

I admit to not being an expert, so am always looking out for help from others, such as yourself.

Cheers

Garry