Can not get ML to run on my brand new T3i

Started by evnewsphoto, July 21, 2012, 05:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evnewsphoto

Hello, I am a newbie to DSLRs and come from video cameras, 17 years in TV news and 1 year in Production. I just bought a Cannon T3i and a BeachTek DXA-SLR Active DSLR Adapter w/Built-in Preamp for audio (using Sennhiser shotgun and EV lav- Sennhiser wireless too) and I want to add ML so I can at the very least see my audio levels while I record, but no luck. I have followed the instructions on the website in the video posted there, copy all the contents of ML to root of folder and take out battery, start on manual and update firmware... It says updating, then the LCD goes dark and the red light at the bottom corner (read/write to card light correct?) blinks, this is all it does and it will do this for the most I let it go was 20mins. I take out the battery and put it back and it comes back on with no issues and works fine, but no ML. Has Cannon disabled ML with thier latest Firmware? Like I said it's brand new. I am forgeting something? And yes I have tried to run it from 3 different cards. I am baffeled as to what I am doing wrong. Thanks for any help, Everett McEwan in Denver

jbuy41

What files do you show that you download to the card?  You did format the card in the camera?  Is the camera cleared of all settings and set on M? 

Francis

What version is the firmware on your camera and what version of Magic Lantern are you trying to install?

Daniel

my T3i had firmware 1.0.1, but it was not the right one. so I had to download the 1.0.1 firmware from a vimeo group to get Magic Lantern to run.
current: 70D 112
old cameras: T3i, T1i

evnewsphoto

Quote from: Daniel on July 21, 2012, 10:26:17 AM
my T3i had firmware 1.0.1, but it was not the right one. so I had to download the 1.0.1 firmware from a vimeo group to get Magic Lantern to run.

Hi guys, it is Ver 1.0.1 and I was trying to run the latest "x-mas" version of ML. I did format, and it is set on M.  What version of Firmware do I need? It sounds like Daniel had the same issue, Daniel can you share the Vimeo link with me? Thanks, Everett

mammenj

Is there any reason for not upgrading to 1.0.2? that way you can try the new versions of ML.

scrax

Hi, and welcome
you can find it with a search in google for CCF11101.FIR or just wait a couple of week for the 2.3 public release.
But if you want it will be downloadable already monday (23 july) for all who supported the project, with donations for example. Link for donation in download page.

Quote from: mammenj on July 22, 2012, 03:43:34 AM
Is there any reason for not upgrading to 1.0.2? that way you can try the new versions of ML.
Because there is not yet a public release of the version you are talking about (2.3). Last public release is 2.2 (xmas).

I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

evnewsphoto

Hello again everybody, I updated my firmware to version 1.02 which worked great, then tried ML again and again same thing, blank LCD and red blinking light and no ML update. I also watched some other "how to" install videos and found one little thing I was not doing- low level format- but that did not fix it either. When the next ML comes out tomorrow I will try that too, maybe whatever is wrong with the x-mas release will be fixed. Also is there somewhere I can download older versions? Maybe the version before the X-mas release will work? Thanks, Everett

evnewsphoto

Minutes after that last post I found this;

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/Install#Step_1._Preparing_your_camera

and this "If the card LED is blinking for more than a few seconds, upgrade your Canon firmware from these links (even if you already have the correct firmware version number!) and try again."

and realized that even though I updated that did not matter, so I followed the links and found an older 1.0.1 link;

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/1128/600d-t3i-firmware-101-not-available-from

that worked (unistalled 1.0.2) and at last I have ML running! For some reason no audio levels but I will work on why that is, just happy to have ML running!

scrax

Quote from: evnewsphoto on July 23, 2012, 03:40:16 AM
Minutes after that last post I found this;

why didn't you searched CCF11101.FIR on google, it gives me the link you found on the old wiki for first
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-