Please help!

Started by TH14, May 10, 2015, 01:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TH14

Hello ML forum,

I'm thinking to buy Canon 5d mark iii and i want to know which card is the best to run and install magic lantern? Do i have to buy a CompactFlash Memory Card or SD Card? Which card do you suggest me to buy? 128 GB card or 64GB?

Thanks in advance!  8)

extremelypoorfilmaker

A quick search through the forum would have answered your question, ANYWAY:

use SD card U1 of any maker for installing and running magic lantern not bigger than 32 GB or you won't be able to run and install magic lantern

Fro RAW recording use Komputerbay or Lexar CF card 1066x. About their capacity it goes down entirely to you. My suggestion is not to go any higher than 64GB per CF card, you know, if anything you don't want to lose all your footage! :)

and, if you are planning to record long clips in raw (longer than 4GB), don't forget to format your CF card via the card reader using exFAT

TH14

Let me know please if this card is a good card to buy for installing Magic Lantern to canon 5d mark iii? ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/824140-REG/SanDisk_SDSDXPA_032G_A75_Extreme_Pro_32_GB.html  )

...this CompactFlash card is a good card for recording raw? ( http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Professional-CompactFlash-Software-LCF64GCRBNA1066/dp/B00IAYFDIC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1431269676&sr=1-1&keywords=Lexar+64GB+Professional+1066x )

to understand i will have the sd card and the compactflash card together in the camera? how i select for recording raw video to compactflash card and not to sd card?

why i have to format footage from my CF card via the card reader using exFAT and not from the camera?

THANK YOU for the important information!  8)

extremelypoorfilmaker

You haven't really searched through the forum have you? :D

Yes, those cards are gonna work just fine. They are the same cards i am using with the 5D3
Yes, you will have both cards in camera. The SD card for installing and running Magic Lantern, CF card to record files on it.
Yes, as i stated in the previous post, if you wish to record clips bigger than 4 GB (roughly anything longer than 3min in RAW/MLV) because (as it is stated in the 5D3 manual as well :D) the camera formats cards in the FAT format, that does not allowed the writing of files bigger than 4GB.

To select which card you want to use to record your file (or if you wish to use BOTH cards) just go in the Canon Menu, into the Set up menu and select record func+card/folder sel. Inside that voice you should be able to select which card use to record your images / video on

:)

TH14

You haven't really searched through the forum have you? :D

hahahaha   :D

thanks a lot for the advice man!

extremelypoorfilmaker