Shooting RAW on Canon 7D: What CF required?

Started by londonbub, May 09, 2015, 11:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

londonbub

I'm a filmmaker with a Canon 7D still learning all of the technical aspects and lingo. I really would love to shoot RAW video on the 7D, but could anyone here help with what minimum compact flash card is required to do so? Is it 1000x (is that 90mb/s?)?

In addition, what size card is then needed? I would really love to shoot documentaries in raw and would therefore need a good half hour on each card. Is there even a card big enough that can do this? How long could I shoot on a 32GB 90mb/s card?

Is there just one RAW filming setting on ML?

Could anyone with a canon DSLR who shoots raw video talk me through their workflow?

I hope that some of you could perhaps answer some of my above novice questions.

Spooke

I'd recommend a Komputerbay 64GB Professional Compact Flash card 1066X or above, from what I've read you get the best speed from the 64GB not the 128GB. So two or more 64GB's may be your best bet!

There are multiple aspect ratios and resolutions to choose from, have a read through the 7D thread for more information and check out this video (not mine) for the workflow,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4sc_g8E-m8

londonbub

Thank you so much! That clears things up!!

Roughly what length of shooting time would one be able to be able to get on that 64Gb card in Raw?

Audionut