Magic lantern on new Canon 5D III Firmware 1.3.3 ?

Started by NitromanX, May 08, 2015, 09:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NitromanX

I'm thinking of buying a new Canon 5D III and installing Magic Lantern for raw video etc. However, the latest Canon firmware is 1.3.3 and ML only works up to 1.2.3.

I also see that on the Canon website under download new firmware it states - "Once the EOS 5D Mark III camera is updated to Version 1.3.3, it cannot be restored to a previous firmware version (Version 1.0.7 through 1.2.3)."

Does this mean that if i buy a new Canon 5D3 i'll never be able to use Magic Lantern as there is no new firmware support ? If so, have Canon introduced this to stop ML from stealing sales of their C series video cameras etc ?

I know i'm not supposed to ask ... But what likelihood is there of ML support for 1.3.3 and future Canon 5D series - is it possible or is the firmware now 'locked' ?

Want to buy new 5D3 but only if it's got the amazing ML raw video support. :)

DeafEyeJedi

If your new 5D3 comes with 133 -- there have been previous reports with users having success on downgrading back to 123 or 113 with EOS Utility...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

NitromanX

I saw that when i searched the forum but I have the latest Eos Utility as just downloaded it a few days ago ...

I'll see what comes up Sean and look in to things a bit more. Thanks again. :)

NitromanX

Thanks baccinoluigi but the link's not working. It tries to connect for ages then get message :

"Secure Connection Failed
The connection to torrentz.eu was interrupted while the page was loading.
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem."

I tried removing the 's' in https:// but that wasn't allowed either.

Walter Schulz

Is there an issue with latest EOS Utility preventing downgrading?

cutnrun

Does anyone have the 5d mark iii mac firmware files 1.1.3 or 1.2.3?  I have 1.2.1 installed and cannot upgrade to 1.3.3 nor can I downgrade without one of these files.

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Nightly builds -> Select the version you need and read instruction.

Have you tried to upgrade to 1.3.3?

cutnrun

No.  I was under the assumption ML did not operate with 1.3.3.  Is there a way to upgrade to 1.3.3 then downgrade to 1.2.3 or 1.3.3 even though I do not have the original firmware files?

Walter Schulz

Magic Lantern Forum -> Magic Lantern Releases -> Camera-specific discussion. Read first posts in 5D3 threads.

Downgrading from 1.3.3 needs EOS Utility. Canon made life a little bit more complex for 5D3 owners.

elaurens

Hello, i´ve been using your experience the last months (thank you) and i´ve learned very useful tips to work with ML...
I´ve got a 5Dmiii bought a year ago or so... last week i saw the 1.3.3 update in Canon and i still don´t know why, i did it... i´ve made the upgrade without even checking the ML  availability in the first place... yeah, i know...
Of course, no more ML... desperately i started reading the (every) posts about this in order to know if a downgrade is possible... with no results, some vague information, but with broken links, errors, etc...
I started thinking that the problem should be the EOS utility version, since i´ve got the newest on my laptop...
Where is my original Canon CD´s?? A couple of hours later i found the disk... CD version 27.2, EOS utility 2.12...
I´ve installed it on my wife computer since is Canon software free :), turn the wifi antenna off (just in case this thing came alive and upgrade automatically)... and then i perform the downgrade... and here´s the trick...

In the camera screen, i saw, it was just a blink, a legend that says hit the set button for blablablabla, the first time i didn´t realize that, so i just leave the camera alone working (for nothing, several minutes, red light blinking), since downgrade didn´t work at all... (battery out, reset and 1.3.3 is still there) in the new round, minutes later, i hit the set button as quick as i can (about two seconds window opportunity) and this time the downgrade starts... after the usual time the result is GREAT... I´m back on 1.2.3 again and happy to install ML again...

I don´t know if the version, or the lack of internet or the set button hitting competition help me on this... but this combination works great for me... I honestly don´t know how can i make a copy of the cd  for you guys... but i´m completely sure about the versions, since i´ve tried later the same (got time to play uh?), and didn´t work with the last version of EOS utility... so i did exactly as i write, to come back, once more, to 1.2.3 version again... just to be sure...

I hope this works for you, the ones who wants a new 5dmiii but since many come with 1.3.3 version are hesitating...

Excuse my english (i´m from Argentina), it´s late and i´m tired, but i register for the first time just to give back something good in exchange for so many useful information i´ve read here...

Thank you again, best regards.

I´ll configure the profile tomorrow... gone to sleep.

Walter Schulz

EOS Digital Solution Disk 29.1A is available for free:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#DriversAndSoftware
It contains an EOS Utility version doing the downgrade job as well.

rainless

Wonderful! This will eventually help when I get MY 5D mk III. :)

Link worked great and I got the software. Thanks.
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

gmfotografie

i tried your steps but dosen´t work for me .. :-(

Walter Schulz

Without error message or detailed description what you have done, which EOS Utility version you used and where a problem occured you will have to wait for ML for 1.3.3 ...
"Doesn't work" doesn't work for problem solving.

gmfotografie

... i did all the steps elaurens discripted but all i can see is that  the 5diii back, turn to black as i start the software "updater" via eos utility 2 (2.14.20.2).

the red light on the 5diii is blinking and then no reaction.

i always have to remove the battery to restart the camera

Walter Schulz

gmfotografie

I want to downgrade to ML5D3123.FIR from 1.3.3 (actuall Firmeware in my 5dIII)

got the ML5D3123.FIR from the magic lantern download section

Walter Schulz

So you are trying do downgrade Canon firmware 1.3.3 by using ML installation FIR (which has to be used with Canon firmware 1.2.3 to set cam's bootflag) to downgrade to Canon firmware 1.2.3 ...
Get Canon firmware file 1.2.3 (extracted name: 5D300123.FIR) and use Canon firmware to downgrade Canon firmware.

gmfotografie

thank you !

i have tried several time downgrading using the 5D300123.FIR with eos utility 2 but without satisfaction ;-(

It always starts die Firmware update screen (screen on the 5diii back) but immediately turns to black display - no reaction just the red light blinks.

Eos Utility says: the conncetion breaks

Walter Schulz

Format card using cardreader, format card using cam, copy Canon's firmware file to card. No additional files, please!

gmfotografie

i have format the card via osx system and via 5diii.
now i have copied the 5D300123.FIR File but still see the DCIM MISC Folder.. Thats okay ?

Now I can start the Firmware " downgrade" via 5DIII ... ?!

Walter Schulz

Quote from: gmfotografie on July 19, 2015, 06:05:52 PM
i have format the card via osx system and via 5diii.
now i have copied the 5D300123.FIR File but still see the DCIM MISC Folder.. Thats okay ?

Cam will create both directories on its own.

Quote from: gmfotografie on July 19, 2015, 06:05:52 PM
Now I can start the Firmware " downgrade" via 5DIII ... ?!

EOS Utility

gmfotografie

THANK YOU Very much ! It worked for me ;-)

1.3.3 -> 1.2.3

for OSX
(100% battery - Camera in P Mode)

1. Format the Card with OSX System Utility (Cardreader)
2. Format the Card with 5DIII
3. Copying the File 5D300123.FIR on the Card via Cardreader
4. Put the Card into the 5DIII
4. Conecting the Camera via USB
5. Starting EOS Utility 2 ( 2.14.20.2 )

form other post but same steps  ->

6. select camera settings/remote shooting under control camera tab
7. then select setup menu in newly opened window there you could see the selection for Firmware
8. Click firmware then system will give you the option for update (either upgrade/downgrade)
9. then navigate and point out the firmware which you like to upgrade or downgrade; in my case 5D300123.FIR

:-)

MrTim

Thanks for the above posts everyone as I have finally managed to downgrade from 133 to 123 using the utility software and the instructions above. The only problem I had was, a couple of hours trying to get the right utility version I discovered on YouTube that you have to have the camera in PHOTO mode for it to activate the downgrade. Hope someone spots this post that may be having the same problem as I had. I was in movie mode and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. Have a look at this video that sorted me out. https://youtu.be/DY-Mf08OInE
My speciality is recording people! Whether it's an in-depth interview with the CEO or gathering the thoughts of random people in the street. I like to think that my filming skills and enthusiasm help to bring out the best in everyone that appears in front of my lens, both visually and audibly.