HDR stills and Flash firing

Started by limoncello, May 07, 2015, 02:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limoncello

Apologies if this has been answered before, ive searched around and havent seen a definitive answer to my question

I have a Canon 6d - Will ML allow me to take bracketed HDR shots (whether in ISO or exposure etc) while firing the flash for all shots

normal operation of the 6d does not allow the flash to fire

Thanks

garry23

@limoncello

I'm interested in this topic, so I'll throw in a few comments: but I'm sure a guru will step in as well.

I'm confused when you say the 6d doesn't allow this in normal operation.

I assume you mean the ML bracketing is too quick to allow flash refresh?

If so I think have a couple of ways to go, other than a generic feature request: but all require effort on your part.

You could modify the nightly and insert a delay in the bracketing code, ie to suit your needs. I have successfully tweaked ML nightlies by using the Compile in the Cloud approach.

You could try out the LUA scripting, but once again this would require some effort on your part.

IMHO I think we are at an interesting time from an ML development perspective. That is the base code is functional and generally fit for all, but with LUA scripting and compile in the cloud tools, we can now tweak ML to our specific needs: rather than requesting feature requests that impact all.

As I say, just some personal thoughts.

Cheers

limoncello

The 6d will not allow flash while taking braketed HDR, it explains in the manual that attempting to use a flash will cause the HDR to switch of, I tried it anyway, and it is the case, if i setup 3 shots -2 / 0 +2 for example , the first shot will fire with the flash, then the HDR is off and all further shots are fired at the same settings

I am hoping that using the ISO bracketing in ML will fire the flash

garry23

But when you use ML bracketing you are not using Canon firing control.

Have you tried ML bracketing with a flash?

limoncello

No , Havent tried loading it yet, was just asking the question as it would be my main reason for using ML

garry23

@limoncello

May I humbly suggest you will find many other reasons for loading ML.

Assuming you are a stills photographer, ie ignoring the RAW video stuff, you will get:

- Auto RAW ETTR
- RAW spot meter in LV
- RAW histogram in LV
- Dual ISO, ie ISO bracketing in a single image (sic) = 2-3Ev DR boost
- Auto bracketing

If you like you could look at some of my posts on ML: photography.grayheron.net

Bottom line: it's your choice if you load ML

limoncello

i can see there is loads of good stuff in there, just particulaly wanted this

garry23

@limoncello

I will try out flash firing and bracketing tonight and report: unless someone else jumps in and reports.

I have never attempted flash with bracketing, ie I use the bracket captured data and post processing to realize my image.

Cheers

limoncello

Thanks Garry, appreciate it, i will download and install this in the next few days anyway

regards

garry23

@limoncello

Just tried the ML bracketing, on auto, with my 580EXII on manual.

Flash functioned on every ML triggered bracket  :)

Cheers

Garry

limoncello

wow great news, thanks for checking it out mate

kriscone

Hi.  Interested in what you do for the HDR with Flash.  Do you have the flash on manual and use ML in the flash bracket setting?  Do you have any flash diffusers on or other?

Experimenting and I am finding the HDR auto is typically a bit dark with some saturation...so looking to brighten things up some. 

Thanks

limoncello

yes flash on manual, set the shot up as if you were taking a normal shot but in manual. then turn the bracketing on. I m using off camera flash 3 x speedlights in softboxes but iguess you can use any format

chadxo

@garry23

You could modify the nightly and insert a delay in the bracketing code, ie to suit your needs. I have successfully tweaked ML nightlies by using the Compile in the Cloud approach.

This is exactly what I want to do, but have no idea how to do this. Could you point me in a direction?

garry23

Robbie

@ limoncello

So did the flash have enough time to recharge between brackets?  I too am interested in adding flash to my bracket sets

AnttiMato

Hi.

Im getting back to this issue, atleat its kind of the same issue.

Does ML for canon 6D 1.1.6 allow you bracket ISO while takin HDR pics? And i mean, only ISO?
I found this: "In M mode, this function does shutter and/or ISO bracketing. In the other modes it does exposure compensation bracketing." DOes this mean, i can chose shutter or ISO or does it goes automaticly?

Another one, does it take 3 raw photos or push em to one jpeg as normal firmware?

all in all, what i would like to do is, push shoot button, so camera will take 3 pics, -1, 0, 1, iso bracketted like 100, 200, 400 and i want this on raw format?
Hope you understand.