550D formatted to exFat but still stops at 12 minutes.

Started by stoopkid, May 04, 2015, 09:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoopkid

I have got my card formatted as exFat and have ML working but the video still stops automatically at 12 minutes. The only thing I can find about it is an old Tragic Lantern build. Is there any way to get past this while still keeping a nightly build?

The one or two posts I've found searching seem to be very outdated.

ItsMeLenny

The limit is 4GB, the way to get around 12 minutes is to lower the bitrate.
Exfat is used if you want to record more than 4GB in raw video format.

Walter Schulz

Limit for 550D in H.264 mode is 4 GByte or 29:59:59. Whatever hits first ...
Try "Movie restart" option. Frames will be lost.
Or go MLV/RAW with all consequences. No fixed time limit there.

@ItsMeLenny: On 650D ExFAT or not makes the difference recording RAW/MLV 720p24 continuously. I tried 90 MByte/s Sandisk (yes, I know 650D's limits) with FAT32 but never passed 1:30.

Datadogie

T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

Walter Schulz

If you insert an ExFAT-formatted card into a cam not able to support ExFAT you will be asked to format the card resulting in FAT32.
If cam is not asking it is supporting ExFAT. Canon firmware will write H.264 files >4GByte  then? Nope! File splitting at best, for some cams just stopping recording.

stoopkid

OK, thanks everyone. It does definitely work with exFat. I thought the 4GB limit could be neutralized with regular recording but I didn't research it enough.