MLV RAW Video + Dual ISO post processing - DNG's corrupted?

Started by limey, May 03, 2015, 04:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limey

Ok I turned it on. I got it to work very cool. Slow like you mentioned.

Is there any way to use the ACR switches and import to Premiere? Because otherwise what is the point of filming in Dual ISO if you can't bring up the shadows etc?

Danne

dmilligan already answered you here

QuoteYou can't use ACR settings in Premiere. You can use ACR and render out to some intermediate codec and then open that in Premiere, but you cannot use ACR modifications/DNGs in Premiere, since ACR settings are simply metadata and can only be applied by ACR engine. Premiere has its own RAW development engine that is GPU based.

If you want the to work in ACR export your files through after effects to some highres intermediate like ProRes444HQ after grading.
There is a lot of things to be aware of when doing coloring and stuff to movie sequences in acr. Search around the forum. A lot has been done on the subject already.

limey

Yes thank you. Both of you have been a big help in helping me figure this out.

I have been on Windows for years, but Mac only 2 months. So not really familiar with ProRes other than reading about that its a great codec.

This is a great thread for others to refer to because so many great answers here.

Dual-ISO Raw/MLV Video - Windows workflow:
1. MLVMystic (dual iso off) or MLV RawViewer
2. DNG export
3. Import to Lightroom (make adjustments)
4. Export/Convert cr2hdr 20bit
5. Real Export to DNG
6. Import to AE (make sure composition is same size as your RAW recording)
7. Export AVI
8. Import Premiere
9. Export Premiere

Mac workflow:
still to come

Will try Davinci as a substitute to Lightroom steps.

limey

Davinci on Mac will not recognize the ACR adjustments. Without ACR adjustments it recognizes the DNG's as a sequence.

With the ACR adjustments it not only does not recognize the adjustments, but also does not recognize them as a sequence and shows individual DNG's.

limey

This is turning into quite a journey. I hope it will help someone else.

On windows, exported to JPEG and had to bulk file rename for premiere to recognize sequence. With JPEG there is aliasing in the video, but I guess that is why everyone says to use crop 3x mode for dual ISO video?

DeafEyeJedi

@limey:

Nice to see some action going on in here on your end. I was just like you back in the day trying to figure out the best workflow on Mac's when it comes to Dual-ISO files from 5D3 (heck even I am still trying to narrow down the choices!). LoL

Anyway, I have tried this way and it may seem a long workflow but it works for me... I love MLVFS so much but I can't use it for Dual-ISO files because it just take forever (w for it to render and sometimes it doesn't come out the way I would like. (yet MLVFS is still champ when it comes to regular MLV files big TIME!) anyway since you are on a Mac...

Try @Danne's cr2hdr-r latest beta and take the converted DNG's into AE (where you can use ACR) as well as being able to color grade as well as exporting as ProRes all in a single app (AE).

Otherwise if you aren't using Dual-ISO -- then try MLVFS > AE (SmartImport2) > NLE (if you want to apply LUTS which can also be done in AE for quicker workflow but limited color grading unless it's a FLAT LOG such as Cinelog-C)
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

limey

Thanks @DeafEyeJedi

I will try your workflows on the Mac side utilizing AE for both the Dual-ISO as well as MLV. AE is a weakness of mine - I never use the right side panels (other than text/character panel).

The whole point I'm trying to use Dual ISO video is a for a potential real estate shoot I have. Haven't secured the job yet, but will need to show ocean views while exposing the interior.

Is it advisable if I am going to shoot Dual-ISO that I shoot in 3x crop mode?

DeafEyeJedi

AE is worth every effort especially for Dual-ISO for the Highlights/Shadow recovering via ACR.

I also use @Danne's amazing app in cr2hdr-r with the latest beta which works well for not only Dual-ISO and HDR as well the normal RAW/MLV... 

Correct -- It is recommended to shoot in 3x crop mode with a wide angle in order to avoid aliasing & such... perhaps within around 8-16mm range, if you'd rather.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

limey

Good. I'll try it tomorrow with my 14mm Rokinon.

Any advice for shots where exposure changes completely, such as walking inside through a door to walking outside.

limey

Well I forgot my 14mm Roki, but tried the 3x crop mode on my Tamron.

The results and workflow worked with ACR adjustments. The problem I came across was two fold. Not all DNG's were de-dual-iso'd and some DNG's did not take to the ACR adjustments.

Here is the workflow I did.

Raw MLV at 1920x1080 on a Komputerbay 128g card. No skipped frames.

I used Danne's cr2hdr-2 script.

Imported the DNG's into AE. I did adjust ACR settings.

Exported from AE to ProRes 422 HQ.

I played the quicktime file and can see many frames were not dual-iso'd and many did not accept the ACR settings done in the AE import.

I wonder if I need to run Danne's script twice?

Danne

What version of cr2hdr-r are you running? I don,t think A1ex binary will miss a dual iso frame but you could upload an example that didn,t convert for me to check.

limey

hmm I'll check tomorrow in the office. I think its the version right before your latest one potentially.

Danne