MLV RAW Video + Dual ISO post processing - DNG's corrupted?

Started by limey, May 03, 2015, 04:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limey

I'm having all sorts of problems with MLV RAW video + Dual ISO. I'd say I'm an advanced Magic Lantern user. Been using it for a long time, have used many of its features in both video and photo.

Camera: 5dmk3, the MLV files play fine in MLVRawViewer, the files are definitely not corrupted. Recorded at a very easy on the camera resolution.

I have a mac and a pc and have tried post processing MLV RAW Dual ISO Video on the following:

On Mac (I've tried multiple MLV movies):
1. Danne's script > Import to premiere (says files are damaged)
2. MLV Rawviewer > DNG > Lightroom > export dual iso converter > Import to premiere (says files are damaged)
3. MLV Mystic > DNG / Dual Iso > Import to premiere (says files are corrupted)
4. All of the above > Open all files in camera raw then synchronize settings > Import to premiere (says files are damaged)

On PC (Multiple MLV movies):
1. MLV Rawviewer > DNG > Lightroom > export dual iso converter > Import to premiere (says files are damaged)
2. MLV Mystic > DNG / Dual Iso > Import to premiere (says files are corrupted)
3. All of the above > Open all files in camera raw then synchronize settings > Import to premiere (says files are damaged)

On MAC I can open the DNG's with Camera RAW/PS. On PC I get the message, Photoshop can't open this file.

Now the only thing I can think of, is that MLV and Dual ISO doesn't work and the proper way to do it is recording in RAW?

N/A

Try MLVFS. Has built-in support for dual iso, is kept up-to-date and is (imo) the most straight-forward workflow.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

limey

Danne

Actually. I just updated cr2hdr-r so the files should work now in premiere pro. Thanks to @cpc.
DNG files are "repacked" to work with premiere. Repacking is done in parent folder.
Sidenote. If you discover any flicker at bottom in files please tell. Just updated with N/A compilation (cr2hdr20bit) from Nikfreaks build. Think it will work just fine though had some reports about pixelated border issues before.
Thanks

N/A

Nice Danne, I'll have to check that out. Did the new cr2hdr help the 70D issue?
Limey, care to upload a dual iso mlv so we can test it?
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Danne

Cr2hdr compilation works very good. Deafeye is doing a recheck regarding pixelated border on some shots. I will check as well tonight.

*Tried a 3x zoom mode and it seemed fine to me. That,s where the interpolation issue appeared last before A1ex updated.

limey

I'll upload one. I have a really bad internet connection at work.

Did a fresh MLV recording; used DANNE's new script;
The files look great (they look really good) and I CAN open them in adobe camera raw, but still can't import to adobe premiere cc.

Danne

It works here

What version of cr2hdr-r and when did you download?

Did you run the uninstall command before install command?

The files should 3.4mb in size after @cpc repack is done.

limey

I've used the 1.8app

I just tried the 5.6s and it didn't work.

No I didn't run the uninstall command first...I'm doing that now!

Danne

limey

So if you want to grade these, you just import the DNG;s to DaVinci or Lightroom....and there hasn't been any issues? I'm doing it now after I push the reply.

Danne

They should work with audio and without both in Davinci resolve and premiere. Please report if you notice anything.

limey

Ok. So I opened them in Camera Raw, change settings (exposure/shadows/etc) then saved as new files.

These new files save as 1.6mb and will not open in Premiere.

So the only way to raise shadows and exposure with these dual-iso DNG's and have them open in Premiere is in Davinci?

dmilligan

You can't use ACR settings in Premiere. You can use ACR and render out to some intermediate codec and then open that in Premiere, but you cannot use ACR modifications/DNGs in Premiere, since ACR settings are simply metadata and can only be applied by ACR engine. Premiere has its own RAW development engine that is GPU based.

Quote from: limey on May 03, 2015, 04:56:47 PM
I forgot. I have tried MLVFS as well on Mac.
And it didn't work? What did you try and what didn't work?

limey

That is an excellent explanation regarding the ACR situation. Thank you.  What is the option then for utilizing the best that dual ISO offers ie raising exposure/shadows for video?

Mlvfs was likely not working because I was using the wrong cr2hdr-r version

Danne

QuoteMlvfs was likely not working because I was using the wrong cr2hdr-r version
?

Mlvfs has dual iso support on its own but without the conversion step. Havn,t tried it lately since focusing on cr2hdr-r though. Definitely worth checking out.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.0

limey

I may have misspoke. I will test MLVFS again tomorrow (to double check that I did try that) on Mac.

Still the question for me I haven't solved. How do you use ACR adjustments (or taking advantage of Dual ISO benefits in other way) and then go to Premiere for editing? I have not tried going to Davinci yet first (with dual iso).

limey

Just tried on MLVFS on Windows. I redownloaded the .dll file and registered it. Imported the files to Premiere and I see the Dual ISO lines in the movie fwiw. I'm sure I'm missing a step or version.

dmilligan

The windows version is way behind and not currently being maintained, it does not have the dual ISO stuff.

limey

Ok thanks dmilligan. Will try on my mac today, although you already know it works. :D

limey

Tried MLVFS with a Dual-ISO video and it did not convert the Dual ISO movie. I must be missing an item here.

I reinstalled the MLVFS.dmg file, killed the process, restarted, tried it several times to import premiere, but I still see the Dual-ISO lines in Premiere.

dmilligan

You have to turn on dual ISO processing in the web interface (it's off by default, b/c even trying to detect dual ISO footage would slow MLVFS down for your non dual ISO footage).

There basically two modes 'preview' and 'full'. Preview is very fast (still get real-time playback), but low quality. It's meant to allow you to preview/edit/cut your footage before rendering. The 'full' mode is very slow, a single 1080p frame may take several seconds or more depending on the settings you select and CPU speed (mean23 is much faster than AMaZE, BTW).

Because dual ISO conversion is so slow, it doesn't really fit with MLVFS's do everything on the fly philosophy. Everytime (more or less, there is a little bit of caching done) you go back and try to read a particular frame, MLVFS will have to re-convert the frame. That's why there is the preview mode. The idea is you use preview while editing and then switch to full when you're ready to grade/render out.