Canon 6D

Started by Maqs, May 01, 2015, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baladev

This seem to have fixed it.. Tried filming 2 short 1 minute videos. Same settings as before. 2nd and 3rd frames are corrupted, the rest is good. 1st did in FF mode the second in x5 zoom. The only difference noticed FF mode set exposure to 1/47. Same res as before.

Here are the shots from both takes:

Will do more testing a bit later.
Thank you Levas and Danne!

Danne

Great. This fix really should be pushed into main branches as it reoccurs on peoples footage on a regular basis. Impossible to rescue in full in post.

Levas

Quote from: DOP on April 07, 2019, 10:28:27 PM
To clarify, what is the best 16:9 60fps resolution we can get without losing vertical? Just the ones in your presets that result in lots of aliasing?  I don't mind if the resolution is lower since the raw is crisper than the default h.264 and can be upsized pretty cleanly but I don't want to lose any FoV or have aliasing.

As for now, looks like 1688 x 754 is gonna stay the maximum for 60p, maybe 1632 now works too with Danne's fix, but this would give only about 30 pixels extra vertical in 1632 x 784, still far from 16:9.
And still curious if the fix works when using the preset for longer times. Because before the fix it looked like the purple color shift in the right part of the frame was creeping in slowly over time using the preset. So needs some more testing.

I think your best bet is to film in full view 16:9 in 30p and become really good in fixing color moire in post   :D

Danne

Quote from: Levas on April 10, 2019, 09:10:44 AM
And still curious if the fix works when using the preset for longer times. Because before the fix it looked like the purple color shift in the right part of the frame was creeping in slowly over time using the preset. So needs some more testing.
Yes, please test. Can confirm this fix valid for 5DIII.

baladev

QuoteAnd still curious if the fix works when using the preset for longer times. Because before the fix it looked like the purple color shift in the right part of the frame was creeping in slowly over time using the preset. So needs some more testing.

I shot 11 short clips today outside and indoors. Took about 20 min, camera got pretty warm - 51C. Will post results later (have to go now), but in short - didn't find any weird stuff. Clips were shot with breaks. Do you want me to shoot continuous? For how long?

Danne

Quote from: baladev on April 10, 2019, 09:38:48 AM
I shot 11 short clips today outside and indoors. Took about 20 min, camera got pretty warm - 51C. Will post results later (have to go now), but in short - didn't find any weird stuff. Clips were shot with breaks. Do you want me to shoot continuous? For how long?
If above files are free from creeping purple stuff I say the fix is working.

baladev

Ok, more pictures of interesting boring stuff. Earlier today I filmed 11 short clips, about 0.5-1 minute long. Camera got very warm, was showing 51C.

All had 2nd and 3rd frame corrupted, apart from one or two clips. The rest of the footage was fine.

All in 1632x2144 1x3 24fps preset. Some in full frame mode, some in x5 mode.

I was moving the camera around but chose the frames that would show the possible defects best, which means dark uniform areas.
All frames from different clips:

Just before I did another test. Filmed 4 longer clips. 8-13 min in length to push the camera further and see if there's accumulative effect Levas proposed. 2 were filmed in 1632x2144 1x3 24fps preset and the other two in 1632x2052 1x3 25fps. Basically, I filmed until my 128Gb card got full, which is about 35 min.

Levas

Looks good, I think it's safe to say that, Danne's fix, really works :D

These latest 1x3 presets you are using are made for 5 x zoom mode, which in this case means that shutter-time is correct in 5 x zoom mode.
You still can use it in non zoom mode, but shutter-times are not corresponding with the shutter-time settings on your top lcd display.

baladev

QuoteThese latest 1x3 presets you are using are made for 5 x zoom mode, which in this case means that shutter-time is correct in 5 x zoom mode.
You still can use it in non zoom mode, but shutter-times are not corresponding with the shutter-time settings on your top lcd display.

Yep, I know you said these are for x5 mode. I just though I would try them in FF mode as well. :)
I did notice that in x5 mode my lowest shutter was 1/33 and in FF mode it was 1/45, so it was changing between the two on the screen depending on the mode.

jai554

Hi,
I have been using my 60D for years
Finally I get to upgrade my 60D to a 6D (used, sold by my friend)
Great to see a lot of development here!  :D

baladev

QuoteFinally I get to upgrade my 60D to a 6D (used, sold by my friend)
Welcome to the FF world! I used to be a Sony only guy and was convinced that Canon sensors are crap (well, I still know they are.. not the best). But then I needed a backup/second camera to complement my A7R2 (which has the best sensor on the market in terms of noise/signal ratio). Since I have a lot of Canon glass, I thought maybe some Canon would work for me. After researching I discovered that the sensor Canon put inside this body (that was specifically developed for it and which even outperforms the sensor inside 5Dm3) is about the best sensor they ever produced in terms of low noise/high iso performance, only beaten recently by Canon 5Dm4. I shoot/film a lot in low light and this was a deciding factor for me. So, I ended up getting a s/h 6D.
Here's a nice comparison of the 6D sensor with other relevant cameras. 700D, I believe has a very similar sensor to 60D you had, so you can see how much of improvement you are getting.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=canon_eos6d&attr13_1=canon_eos700d&attr13_2=canon_eos5dmkiii&attr13_3=sony_a7riii&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=6400&attr16_1=6400&attr16_2=6400&attr16_3=6400&attr126_3=1&attr171_0=1&normalization=full&widget=267&x=0.1582884960903206&y=0.5264428209018275

baladev

Did some more testing today of the latest 1:3 presets to see if I would be able to record continuously with them. Basically confirmed what I said before - they are good for short clips. In bright day light I couldn't achieve continuous recording no matter what I did (lowering exposure so there are no overexposed parts, disabling LV). When the sun went behind a big cloud and it became overcast I was able to record continuous with LV disabled in non-LV view (not sure how to call it). Of course the view was scrambled. I can work with this because I mostly film static scenes, but for many people it would be problematic.

Since we can't reduce vertical resolution in these presets, I tried to minimize the bitrate by going to the 25fps preset and setting 24fps in fps override. It didn't work, I got scrambled footage.

Would it be possible to make vertical resolution adjustable? If not, making another preset with the 25fps preset resolution at 24fps might make it continuous.

It would also be very good if we could move the crop from the bottom up and center it in the frame. Is it possible at all? The way it is now it's capturing the edge of the frame, which is not the best part of it, especially with wide angle lenses, where it get's very distorted.

Danne

Seems you are able to compile:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/crop_rec.c

I added reg_6014 into the crop mode sub menu to the two 1x3 binning presets in Levas code. By reducing you will increase fps. GOing to 25 should be safe.

Levas

I'll probably have time this weekend to do this changes.
Lowering the vertical resolution for 24fps preset is easy, centering the view needs a bit of testing but should be doable I guess.
Maybe you can find out what resolution is continuous by lowering the horizontal resolution of the current build, that way we can calculate at how many megapixel frame size it is continuous, and use that to calculate the needed vertical resolution for continuous.

baladev

QuoteSeems you are able to compile
Sorry, this is way above my head  :-[

QuoteBy reducing you will increase fps. GOing to 25 should be safe
I probably didn't explain myself clear.
The fps are fine, no need to change them.
If possible, would be good to be able to change vertical resolution in 1:3 presets. If this is impossible, then making another preset 1632x2052 24fps should allow continuous recording.

baladev

Quotecentering the view needs a bit of testing but should be doable I guess
Since I'm too dumb to code, if I can help with any testing, I'm listening.

QuoteMaybe you can find out what resolution is continuous by lowering the horizontal resolution of the current build, that way we can calculate at how many megapixel frame size it is continuous, and use that to calculate the needed vertical resolution for continuous.
I hear you. I'll do this tomorrow, It's 1am here now :)

baladev

Oh God, sometimes testing can be so time consuming, difficult and inconclusive.

Spent 3 hours today testing presets for the 6D an EOS M. In some cases I would get one result for a preset just to come back to it some time later to get somewhat different result. All together I ran about 60 tests.

From the two 1:3 presets I only managed to test the 1640 x 2025 25fps one before I started loosing light.

All tests are done with 14bit recording.

# In LV with GD enabled and everything else disabled (histogram ets..) I was able to get more or less stable continuous with 976 x 1952 at 25fps (by more or less I mean if I direct the camera at a large white object like a wall or a roof taking at least 1/3 of the view, I get first red indicator and then stop)
# If I disable GD, I can film continuous with 1040 x 2052 at 25fps with similar remark.

at 24 fps we would be able to go a bit higher of course.

Do you want me to test the 24fps preset too or can you calculate from these results?

I think the current 1:3 presets should be left in the crop_rec for short clips and maybe new ones added for those who want continuous.

Levas

@baladev
Dis some quick changes to crop_rec, here is a build with 1640 x 1890 resolution, used them both for 24fps and 25fps.
For 16:9 use 1120 x 1890 to end up with aliasing free 1120 x 630 resolution, my guess is that those should be continuous even when overexposed.
And moved the crop, I think the crop is now in center of the sensor.
Happy testing  :D
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SE3_93SBBTG3O7p8cA4s8Su8np30FXwU/view?usp=sharing

For the future it would be nice to be able to just adjust vertical resolution, or in crop_rec module or probably even better in normal raw video menu.

baladev

Thank you Levas!

Will test it and report back.

Yeah, I realized that your original 1824x1842 1:3 preset (in 16:9 1088x1842) was close to the maximum resolution continuous recording we can get on these cameras. A slight bump in resolution like this is probably all we can have.

baladev

@Levas

Tested presets - all work well, continuous in both as long you don't get overexposed large white objects in the frame.

Re centering, not so rosy. Here's where the current 1120 x 1890 crop positioned on top of FF frame.

Need to be moved up and left. Are there any regs I can try to move the frame?

Ideally we would have a setting with vertical resolution adjustable, maybe withing a short range, like 1880 - 2144.

Thank you!

Levas

??? that centering didn't work out, need to check my eyes :P
Will look into it later on in the week.

baladev

I've decided that my previous test might have been flawed because I compared two 16:9 frames and for proper positioning you need to see where the crop positioned relative to the full sensor picture. I redid the test. Here you can see a full frame picture 1824x1216 res and on top of it in orange is a 1120x1890 frame form 1:3 anamorphic preset stretched to 3360x1890 and then on top of that there is 2304x1296 frame from x5 zoom preset for reference.

Sorry the picture is out of focus, I forgot to focus properly :)

Levas

So took a while, busy week.
But here is a new version of the 1x3 mode on 6d, now the recorded part should be reasonable centered in the frame.
I compared the recording against a photo (3:2 aspect ratio), I think it's centered, can you confirm baladev ?

Link to the module:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zA7dxRNxc362Sw-EdmfNLKqd3MkjCNDG/view?usp=sharing

Levas

@Baladev
Danne made some nice modifications to the sd_uhs module.
Not sure which version you're using, but this new version of Danne activates at startup, it doesn't do write and read tests, only sets the necessary registers at startup.
You can check it works by looking at the Debug tab in ML menu, in memory patches, 3 patches linked to SD UHS are visible.
So if you know your SD card gets faster write speeds with the sd_uhs module, you can try this version, activate module in modules tab, and it's instantly loaded at each startup of the camera.

Link to modified sd_uhs module by Danne:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SJHrA75UXobTzBcsEY3lqbHxhNdoksPb/view?usp=sharing

For other users, be sure to test your card with the standard sd_uhs module before trying this one above, I have cards which become slower when using this module.
The Sandisk extreme pro (95MB/s, UHS speed class 3, video speed class V30) cards seems to be working very well with this sd_uhs module, my older sandisks extreme card becomes slower with this module  :P

baladev

@Levas

Thank you very much for the new crop and the SD UHS. I will test the new crop and report back. I use Sandisk extreme pro and it benefits from the regular sd_uhs a lot, so this new version should speed up things..

Thank you once again, you are a legend.