Canon 6D

Started by Maqs, May 01, 2015, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CommanderLake

I'd reflash the firmware but I cant find 116 anywhere the link on the nightly build page is broken: http://pel.hu/down/eos6d-v116-win.zip

Walter Schulz

Reflashing the firmware is - most likely - not going to solve your issue.
Wouldn't harm, either.
https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/ -> 6D Canon Firmware for Testers.zip

CommanderLake

Levas, could you build one with 30 and 60 Hz modes please?

I got it working, I start the camera in photo mode, OC the SD, switch to video mode where the display is frozen with vertical stripes but it shows a slow preview while recording.

The top and bottom of the screen started strobing on any screen even with no SD card but it died away after a while.

Levas

Quote from: CommanderLake on December 24, 2018, 10:17:53 AM
where the display is frozen with vertical stripes but it shows a slow preview while recording.
That sounds right, frozen liveview and no preview while not recording, you can get a preview in this state by half pressing the shutter button.

Quote from: CommanderLake on December 24, 2018, 10:17:53 AM
Levas, could you build one with 30 and 60 Hz modes please?

Now you mention 30 and 60HZ, the crop_rec presets for 720p mode are build with camera set to PAL in mind (720p50fps)
If NTSC is used, it probably doesn't work flawless, the shutter time calculated by crop_rec module are wrong, this also results in wrong shutter time blanking register calculations...
The 5x zoom mode should work flawlessly, since 5x zoom always uses the same A and B timer values, no matter what setting PAL/NTSC/24/25/30/50/60FPS.

I can make this work in many frame rates and for many basic settings (PAL/NTSC) it's just a matter of adapting some settings in the source.
But I'm not sure what you need, are you looking for 2 extra crop presets with 30 and 60 fps setting ?
The next time I should make 2 builds, one for NTSC and one for PAL.

So for now, with the current build, set your camera to PAL and when using 720p mode, use 720p 50fps.

CommanderLake

I use 30/60 because computer monitors run at 60Hz and TV's play 30/60 just fine here in England.

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: CommanderLake on December 24, 2018, 11:44:20 AM
I use 30/60 because computer monitors run at 60Hz and TV's play 30/60 just fine here in England.

What about light flickering? It is 50Hz in England.
R8 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

CommanderLake

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on December 24, 2018, 12:56:22 PM
What about light flickering? It is 50Hz in England.

Thats a shutter speed problem, multiples of 50 can still be used

Levas

Found a few minutes to alter the crop_rec file to NTSC.
For the first 3 presets, camera must be set in NTSC 720p60fps mode.

Tested it really quick, so far it looks good  ;D

Here's the link to the crop_rec module file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tCe9ryqKpnGx_AKW4CaquCy32WwUmTU2/view?usp=sharing

dfort

Quote from: CommanderLake on December 24, 2018, 08:46:59 AM
I'd reflash the firmware but I cant find 116 anywhere the link on the nightly build page is broken: http://pel.hu/down/eos6d-v116-win.zip

I keep copies on my downloads page. Look for 6D Canon Firmware for Testers.zip.

CommanderLake

Thanks dfort, Walter Schulz posted a link to your downloads.

Thanks Levas, I consider that my first christmas present. :D

darlock

Dear Levas.
Is this crop_rec module compatible with dual iso mode?
Can you provide some links to working files and simple instruction?

Is it right that in 6d dual iso looks really good without lost information, because of 1x3 pixel bining?

CommanderLake

Dual ISO is broken all of a sudden it displays ISOless LV err 3, I even tried removing all of the ML files and redownloading them.

Walter Schulz

Reset ML to defaults (Prefs tab -> Config Files -> Restore ML defaults)

Retry in photo and movie mode. If the error occurs you have to restore ML defaults again.
Report results.

Levas

More people had the same error on different camera's. There we're some instructions on how to fix this, can't find it back.
But you had to search for the address where ISO was changed in camera (done in ADTG override in Debug menu).
I did the fix and it works for my 6d and also some other 6d users, here you can download the 'fixed' dual_iso module file for 6d:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15088.msg208569#msg208569

You have to replace the above file with the the dual_iso.mo file on your SD card.

CommanderLake

I did more than just reset to defaults I completely removed the magic lantern files from the SD card and re-downloaded them, I've had it working before.

Thanks Levas that works!

FeelingEpic

Quote from: Levas on December 21, 2018, 07:18:23 PM
That, unfortunately, won't work.
Different camera's need different Magic lantern build.
Simple said, Magic Lantern code is basicaly the same, but you need to know specific properties of the camera and all the addresses/locations of the interesting parts in the firmware of the camera.
I've no experience in this, here is a topic about it:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19737.msg185811#msg185811

I asked because I know someone who put the 5D ML software on their 6D and it works perfectly fine. Could it be the case that the 5D or 6D software might work on my 6DII?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: FeelingEpic on January 26, 2019, 11:59:13 PM
I asked because I know someone who put the 5D ML software on their 6D and it works perfectly fine.

Bullshit!
Startup process checks cam/firmware version and terminates with a screen message telling it can't run. Some "modules" (=program parts optionally loaded after ML initialization) may be interchangeable. That's all compatibility we have.

And there is a ROM dumper able to run on most cams. Just doing that: Dumping ROM contents.

dfort

Quote from: Levas on January 13, 2019, 11:14:56 AM
More people had the same error on different camera's. There we're some instructions on how to fix this, can't find it back.
But you had to search for the address where ISO was changed in camera (done in ADTG override in Debug menu).

You're probably looking for this post:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.msg197146#msg197146

Quote from: CommanderLake on January 13, 2019, 06:43:17 AM
Dual ISO is broken all of a sudden it displays ISOless LV err 3...

Wonder what causes it to change.

Quote from: a1ex on February 13, 2018, 09:46:07 PM
1) the cause for this variation is unknown; are these two really the only possible addresses?
2) Canon firmware startup is non-deterministic; maybe it's that; maybe the startup mode or Canon settings will make a difference, no idea
3) if outside LV, the error can be probably reproduced in QEMU; if so, that can be used to solve the mystery.

NoHinAmhherst

I'm new here and looking for two things:
1) Does ML allow for longer than 29:59 videos on my Canon 6D? Does it allow for more than 4GB?
2) Is there a way I can turn off the video preview screen when recording, to eliminate the light source at my kid's play and lengthen battery life? I have it set to a standard focal length and then just leave it on the tripod.

Levas

I use Magic Lantern for more then 5 years on my 6d...and I have no idea what the answers to your questions are :P :-[
I'm using Magic Lantern especially for the raw video capabilities, but I'm assuming your questions are about recording standard movie files with the the mov extension.

I found an option for turning of the display while recording, seems to work with standard movie recording, did a quick test and display turned of after 5 seconds, and it kept recording.

About the 30 minute and 4 GB recording limit I'm not sure about standard movie file recording.
But there is an option to autostart recording IF recording happens to stop(4GB or 30 minute limit), so you probably mis a second or something, but it should start recording again when hitting one of these limits.

Although, my advise is to test it, to be sure it all works, before trying to use it for something you can't record again.
If not using Magic Lantern, there is always the option in Canon menu to DIM the display light to really low brightness. In that case you only have to restart recording manually after 30 minutes.

Walter Schulz

As Levas said + https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14309.msg211658#msg211658
4GB question: If your card is formated with exFAT file system *and* you are using MLV_rec:
Movie tab -> RAW video (MLV) -> Q -> Files > 4 GiB (exFAT) ON
If used on non-exFAT cards recording will break after 4 GiB.

Snap0nfun

Hi Guys,

Has anyone else had an issue where in 720p 50/60fps mode, when using focus peaking i get some red lines but no peaking dots when using an external monitor.

This works perfectly in 1080p modes and disappears if i disable focus peaking in 720p mode, also works if i disconnect the monitor and use the cameras screen.

I've tried a few builds and this has been an issue for all that i've tried with both of my 6D's.

Never really bothered me as the 720p mode sucks as standard but since i've discovered raw video i'm keen to explore higher frame rates

if anyone has any ideas i'd be eternally grateful.

Best regards

Rob

roll the dice online
Canon EOS 6D Digital SLR

baladev

Ahmm..  Where to start?

First of all - Levas, Danne, theBilalFakhouri, dfort, of course a1ex and many others here! - you are all freaking geniuses and I'm in absolute awe of what you have done and keep doing here! Thank you all so much from the bottom of my heart!

I discovered ML a couple of years ago after I accidentally bought a 550D (by accidentally I mean I was after a 10-22 EF-S lens, but then found it for sale with the body for less than the lens itself s/h goes on eBay for). At this stage I was 100% Sony guy (used some Canon glass though) and never planned to buy a Canon body ever! So, I ended up installing ML on the 550D and played with it for a while. It impressed the heck out of me and impelled me to get a more capable body with a better sensor. $1100AU later I became a happy owner of a s/h 6D in very good condition. To keep the story short - eventually I ended up just occasionally using the combination of the silent mode with the intervalometer for timelapses because I didn't need all the assisting tools that ML had and the thing that was really revolutionary and sounded like actual magic - RAW video - just couldn't be done in resolutions high enough to be of use for me (and the only body that could do it - 5Dm3- was too expensive at the time). At this stage I decided that since ML had been in development for so long and some very smart people had been working on it, surely they had done everything that could be done or close to it. I couldn't see any dramatic changes on the horizon and so I kind of forgot about it.

A month ago I came across an article on DPreview where ML was mentioned and it gave me an impulse to go and check it out again. I'm glad I did. An hour later, after I realized that a revolution had taken place indeed in the form of lossless compression and an SD card hack, with shaking hands I installed Danne's compilation on my 6D, not believing that it would really work, because things like this just can't happen. Then I filmed my first raw footage ever, processed it in Adobe AE and was blown away by what I got. All the advantages of raw photos - extended dynamic range, recovered highlights/shadows, enhanced local/micro contrast, extreme color manipulations - all this was possible now in video! Exacly what I needed and what my filming was lacking.

After testing raw video and making sure it was stable, I have been using this at least once a week for filming local bands and producing videos. I have never been so exited about my video editing, because now it's much more satisfying and the result always amazes me. The original excitement still hasn't worn off. I got so excited that I decided to get the best body for ML available now and another $1400AU later (the prices have almost halved in the last 2 years, which is great) I became a happy owner of a s/h 5Dm3 in very good condition with very low sc. Originally I wanted to sell the 6D but now I'm thinking of keeping it as a second cam - guys you are making me crazy!

And... just an hour ago I learned that Levas' crop_rec makes it possible to go beyond the stated everywhere 1824x1026 maximum raw resolution of the 6D in 16:9 and I have successfully recorded continuous 2080x1170 at 25fps 14bit lossless (how is this possible Levas? and why isn't this available in experiment builds? because liveview is broken? oh, I think I know - it requires the SD hack and it's considered unstable or something.), and this is without pushing too hard, I will continue my experiments tomorrow, it's 2am now! LOL, I'm going to go crazy from lack of sleep.

It's absolutely incredible that now many older Canon DSLR's - 650D, 700D, 100D - can film raw at resolutions approaching full HD. It is crazy! I will incorporate this new found information into my photography/post processing courses that I do and will educate people about this.

Thank you again!

DeafEyeJedi

Amen @baladev and thanks for sharing your story as it is indeed inspiring with how addicting ML can be while on these aging bodies... just like fine wine as it just keeps on getting better!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Levas

Lots of improvement over the last years. Magic Lantern is amazing.
I remember buying the 6d in 2013, when raw video was sort of just discovered.
Only able to record about 10 seconds of raw video, without audio, and this was mind blowing in 2013  :D
Not long after that audio recording was introduced and some memory hacks, which doubled almost the recording times.
Few years later raw recording in lower bitrates came by, and not long after that...lossless recording, which really changed the game for the SD card Cameras.
Thanks for discovering lossless recording Alex  8) !!!
SD_speed_hack is another nice discovery for the SD cameras, but not regarded save for your memory card if used wrong. Although I'm using it a lot and didn't experience any problems with it. Only problem is that it is still to slow for 2880x1200  :P

I did contribute a lot to finding the possibilities with crop_rec for the 6d. But I only used the tools Alex provided(basic code for crop_rec is done really well, so I could mess a lot with it, without needing to know how the shutter blanking and power save registers work) and had a lot of help from others on the forum like Dfort to learn how to compile Magic Lantern.
Another great tool for noobs :P like me is the ADTG_GUI module, available at the ISO research tools on the modules downloads page:
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/modules.html

With this tool you can adjust registers and see what it does to your camera, it's a miracle I still haven't bricked my camera  ;D
This ADTG_GUI tool is not for the faint hearted, you see a lot of weird stuff happening to your live view, and the camera often soft bricks...so battery pull is needed.
But it's probably the best way to do new findings.
Still hope that the original liveview can be adjusted to the crop_rec resolutions, would be great to have real-time liveview with crop_rec  8)