Canon 6D

Started by Maqs, May 01, 2015, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karim

Quote from: Levas on September 20, 2018, 05:38:08 PM
Had the same error, fixed like described in the post you quoted.
Thry this dual_iso.mo file and replace it with the dual_iso.mo file already on your SD card.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10eLbNnEZN9I6o6L8T5tKUboCwqMOTnYF

Thanks for your help dude  :D
well, I tried it and it worked on camera but when I export it from mlvapp v1.0 with dual iso option on it gives me a moving stripes video like how live view see when dual iso is on and random green frames I don't know what's wrong

*update: It works perfectly with14-bit & 14bit lossless
if I choose 12 or 10 bits or lossless ones they make the same issue

btw I'm impressed for your high fps research you're going to make something revolutionary!

Levas

Never tried dual iso with lower bit depths, will see if I can test it today and see what happens in MLVapp.
btw I'm impressed for your high fps research you're going to make something revolutionary!

Thanks, I'm just changing small stuff in the crop_rec source code provided here on Magic-Lantern site, the basics are provided by others.
Will share the 96 fps build if I have made a little tutorial for it, it's a bit buggy compared to standard raw video recording with ML  :P

Levas

There is a lot of talk lately about 1x3 mode, basically binning 3 pixels on horizontal lines and reading every vertical line, no line skipping.
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=22818.msg206134#msg206134

So made a crop_rec preset with this 1x3 mode for 6d, 25fps (for use in non zoom mode, no need to go to 5x zoom):

To get highest possible height, select aspect ratio of 2:1 in raw video menu.
After resizing the video to 1/3 of it's original vertical size, you get about 614 pixels resolution.
So for end results in 2:35 aspect ratio, you can set raw video menu to 1440x1842 resolution -> which gives resized in post 1440 x 614 effective resolution.
1440x1842 in 14 bit lossless gives about 5 seconds recording time.
Couldn't get higher then 1842 without getting corrupted frames, so for now, looks like 1842 is the max vertical resolution in 25fps.

Crop_rec module file, to be added on your SD card in ML/modules/ directory:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WkMtQIAqVonJFASYQrbvnBeFH8VzDICI

butchdon

So to be clear.

There is no way to record 2.35:1 raw video even at 10 or 12 bit?

What should the basic Canon video resolution be set at?

Intel i5-4440 3.1Ghz CPU, Win 8.1, 12 Gb Mem, Intel HD Graphics 4600
Camera gear: Canon S110, Canon 6d, 70-200 2.8 Mk II IS, 100 2.8 Macro Mk II IS, 24-105 f4 IS, 85mm 1.8, Canon G9 with IR conversion (movies in IR?)
24", Rode Videomic Pro, Sony lapel mic.

Levas

No, the 6D is perfectly capable in recording 'normal' raw video in 2.35 aspect ratio.
The latest post I send is about recording in 1x3 mode, in 1x3 mode, every vertical line is recorded, no lineskipping is done.
While horizontal pixels are binned by 3.
The end result is a weird vertical stretched video which needs to be fixed in post, vertical size needs to be unstretched by factor 3.

For 'normal' raw recording the best builds for 6d is the build on the download page with experiment builds:
4K raw video recording; lossless compression
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html

This build contains also lossless recording option.
6d gives you a max resolution of 1824 in normal non zoom mode, so in 2.35 aspect ratio = 1824x776 resolution.
With 14 bit lossless option, this should give you continuous raw recording.

silverhaze

Hello everybody, i got a problem here, when i install and use 10/12 bit raw video build, i got a black first frame in dng sequences. it`s very uncomfortable in work, because this black frame i see in preview in resolve but not what i shoot. In other builds all fine, but want try 10bit. Help please!) sorry for my english)

KelvinK

I have such issue with crop mode shots. First frame is always black.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

Levas

Are you using the nightly build or an experimental build ?

Try the crop_rec_4k build for 6d (doesn't do 4k on 6d...but this build has lossless compression option :) ) on the experimental builds download page.
14 bit lossless is probably even smaller in most situations  then non lossless 10 bit.
Didn't notice black DNG's at the the start of a MLV with this build.

Direct link:
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/crop_rec_4k/80/artifact/platform/6D.116/magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2018Jul22.6D116.zip

silverhaze

Yes, i used experemental build.  ok  i try 4k build.

Quote from: Levas on September 26, 2018, 09:05:16 AM
No, the 6D is perfectly capable in recording 'normal' raw video in 2.35 aspect ratio.
The latest post I send is about recording in 1x3 mode, in 1x3 mode, every vertical line is recorded, no lineskipping is done.
While horizontal pixels are binned by 3.
The end result is a weird vertical stretched video which needs to be fixed in post, vertical size needs to be unstretched by factor 3.

For 'normal' raw recording the best builds for 6d is the build on the download page with experiment builds:
4K raw video recording; lossless compression
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html

This build contains also lossless recording option.
6d gives you a max resolution of 1824 in normal non zoom mode, so in 2.35 aspect ratio = 1824x776 resolution.
With 14 bit lossless option, this should give you continuous raw recording.

how you get this? i use sandisk extreem pro 95mb/s and i got only 12-14 seconds in 1824x776 24p 14bit, 10bit continuous.

Levas

For continuous you need lossless option (available within raw video menu)
So normal 14 bit gives about 14 seconds, but 14 bit lossless gives continuous.
You need the ML build I linked in the post, it's on the dowloadpage under experiments.
Lossless option is in MLV_Lite module, not sure but I think it's not in MLV_rec module.
So enable MLV_lite module and disable MLV_rec module.

kaki

Hello I have a 6d with 1.1.7 and before putting ML I would like to know if with ML I can record video at 1080p 50p or more. Thank you very much

Levas

Nope not exactly possible.

Max resolution for 6d in 50fps is about 1824 x 800.
You can shoot about 5 seconds in 14 bit lossless raw format in 50fps before the memory buffer is full and the camera stops recording.
For 16:9 aspect ratio, you can lower the resolution to 1440 x 800, this will give you about 600 frames before the camera stops, so about 11 seconds.

Anrew_Reo

Hello guys. Using 6D for seseral years but only 2 days ago heard about ML. I have 2 issues with my 6D.

1) Camera doesn`t support continuos autofocus during video record, so I should stay still and can`t move when I record my vlog.
2) Camera doesn`t support video record when wifi on. So I can`t focus on myself through Android App on smartphone - I need to ask help for someone else to focus camera on me.

Does ML solve these or one of these issues? Thanks in advance.

ArcziPL

M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

Levas

Never used it, so not sure how responsive it is and if it works with all lenses or only STM, but the Canon 6d has a autofocus mode called 'live face detect mode' which works during video recording.
Sounds like it should work for vlogging
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD2iIlki3XE

The long answer for no video support when wifi is on is, that it probably shares a DMA channel with the video encoder.
So it's not a software restriction but a hardware restriction...
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=4704.0

silverhaze

Thanks guys! i fixed the problem. I  deleted  then  instal  ML again   and it`s work properly. No black frame!!  In menu "modules" i choose  mlv. ver.2 module. Tried 4k build but it   work bad.

Karim

Quote from: Levas on September 22, 2018, 01:50:42 PM
So made a crop_rec preset with this 1x3 mode for 6d, 25fps (for use in non zoom mode, no need to go to 5x zoom):

Here stupid questions comes  :D
should I set canon menu video to 1080p or 720p?
Am I able to use this for 16:9 final result video?

when I set ratio to 2:1 1832x912 and 1824x912 is maximum resolution I could choose is that normal?
on RAW video option it says "1824x912  3.00x" does that mean I got a 3x crop factor? what if I want to use that as 1.0x (entire full frame)?

I tried to shoot a test but I got some trouble judging stretching after trying to get it natural unstretched looking.

excuse my low IQ it's all very confusing  ::)
can't wait to test your high fps preset  ;)

KelvinK

For slow mode 50p you've to switch to 720p (expect massive aliasing) and than stretch footage vertically by x1.69 in post.
x3 is a crop mode w/o aliasing and moire for regular footage 24/25p
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

Levas

Quote from: Karim on November 12, 2018, 05:39:28 AM
should I set canon menu video to 1080p or 720p?
You should set it to 1080p and use it in normal mode (not 5x zoom as some other presets)

Am I able to use this for 16:9 final result video?
when I set ratio to 2:1 1832x912 and 1824x912 is maximum resolution I could choose is that normal?
on RAW video option it says "1824x912  3.00x" does that mean I got a 3x crop factor? what if I want to use that as 1.0x (entire full frame)?
It's indeed a bit fiddley  :P
For maximum resolution use 1:2 ratio (not to be confused with 2:1), it's important to have the right aspect ratio, otherwise you can't select the maximum vertical resolution.
The cops_rec preset I made are not (always) completely loaded/set when you select them, it's always good to use magnifying button to scroll through 1x, 5x and 10x zoom until back to normal view.
That way everything is set, some say pressing menu button twice works too.
16:9 end result is possible, although in a very low resolution, because after unstretching the maximum resolution of 1842, you end up with a vertical resolution. of 1842 / 3 = 614 pixels.
614 / 9 x 16 = 1092 horizontal resolution for 16:9 ratio.
So if you lower the resolution in raw video menu to 1092 x 1842, you can end up after unstrecthing with 1092 x 614 = 16:9 video.

I tried to shoot a test but I got some trouble judging stretching after trying to get it natural unstretched looking.
If you've got it working, you will know and see that it is stretched. You must make the vertical resolution 3x smaller, in software on computer, to get normal looking video

can't wait to test your high fps preset  ;)
Good to hear, didn't work on that much anymore. Still a little in doubt if I should upload it, because it's not that robust (prepare to get an occasional error 70 on your display and to pull out the battery to get rid of this error  :P)
But I'll try to upload it later on the day, with some instructions

BlueNinja

Hello I have a 6D with 1.1.7, I have installed 1.1.6 from here and installed ML but it doesn't work, the ML menu doesn't show up when I press Q, when I go to video on the screen appears shortcuts for iso and WB but that's it. I have uninstalled ML and installed again but it still doesn't work, I have searched the forum but I haven't found anything about this problem. I have a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 lens and 32 Gb Sandisk Card and the original battery. Do you have any ideas what could be wrong?

Tyronetheterrible

Hi - quick question for anyone who uses the crop_rec module with the 6D:

The 1824x1026 (24p) resolution that is listed to be the maximum resolution with lossless compression; I am only able to achieve this in 12-bit lossless mode. Was anyone able to achieve this resolution continuously with 14-bit lossless?

Levas

Sounds like normal behaviour.
1824x1026 in 14 bit lossless is not continuous.
1824x1026 in 12 bit lossless is continuous.

Card writing speed from 6d just isn't fast enough.
You can get continuous in maximum resolution in 2.35 aspect ratio though.

OR(if you like to go bleeding edge)
You could make use of  the SD_UHS hack module.
Which improves card writing speed on 6d by about 150%  :D
Giving you continuous recording in 1824x1026x24fps in 14bit lossless.

More about it in this post:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15088.msg205032#msg205032

Tyronetheterrible

Thanks Levas,

After using the SD_UHS hack module, I was able to achieve continuous 1824x1026 14-bit lossless!

Strangely enough however, following this test, I switched over to a different SD card that did not have the SD_UHS module, and was STILL able to achieve 1824x1026 14-bit continuously??? Don't know how this voodoo magic happened, but I'll take it.  :D

Tyronetheterrible

Another quick question:

Anyone able to use crop_rec, lossless compression, and the dual ISO module all in conjunction?

I get an "ISOless LV err(3)" whenever I try and activate Dual ISO.
Searching the forums, I've seen a workaround involving the adtg_gui.mo and changing the values in CMOS [3] in dual_iso.c , but I am afraid I am not educated enough on the details to do this?

Any help would be great, thanks!

Levas

Quote from: Tyronetheterrible on November 23, 2018, 08:47:11 PM
Strangely enough however, following this test, I switched over to a different SD card that did not have the SD_UHS module, and was STILL able to achieve 1824x1026 14-bit continuously??? Don't know how this voodoo magic happened, but I'll take it.  :D

The lossless compression is variable, it works better in low light scenes(underexposed) and scenes with less detail, so if you underexpose it compresses more, also using higher iso can cause compression to be less due to false detail created by iso noise.
And max resolution in 16:9 (1824x1026) in 24 fps in 14 bit lossless floats around the maximum card write speed of the 6d.
So depending on the scene and iso usage, you're sometimes lucky, sometimes not  :P

Quote from: Tyronetheterrible on November 23, 2018, 08:58:13 PM
I get an "ISOless LV err(3)" whenever I try and activate Dual ISO.
Searching the forums, I've seen a workaround involving the adtg_gui.mo and changing the values in CMOS [3] in dual_iso.c , but I am afraid I am not educated enough on the details to do this?

I've had the same error, and made the changes in dual_iso.c, compiled the file and it works on my 6d, this is the dual_iso.mo file:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1l_DgNZH6Gh_rqQeXOme-kV6XGrvMcMC1
Big chance it works on your 6d, but also a small chance that you still get the same error, since it appears to differ per model 6d  ???