Canon 6D

Started by Maqs, May 01, 2015, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Looking for a full-res DNG captured from 6D, with any recent build where this feature works. Subject doesn't matter much, just looking for something decent enough to include in the QEMU test suite.

The full-res DNGs I already have from 6D (including the ones from VRAM dumps) have incorrect size. They are 5568x3708, but emulation expects 5568x3723. Older builds used to have this incorrect size hardcoded.

Levas

Here's a full-res silent DNG...not sure if it has the correct size, but it's made with a recent build.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uM6LoS8F9pOR8du4r7Bzl3cDnixPqXYa

a1ex

Almost there; one line of pixels missing, since the full image size is an odd number and ML rounds it to an even number. No big deal, I can fill it with something.

gsanchez922

Hello everyone, I'm about to buy a 6D and I would like to know what is the res at 24 fps and 30 fps, I can get without the camera stop record after few sec. Thanks guy

KelvinK

Quote from: gsanchez922 on August 01, 2018, 05:03:34 PM
Hello everyone, I'm about to buy a 6D and I would like to know what is the res at 24 fps and 30 fps, I can get without the camera stop record after few sec. Thanks guy

Yes, you can do it with reduced resolution. I think 16xx will let you shot continuous in 10 bit.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

Levas

Since the introduction of lossless raw recording things got better.

Canon 6D highest resolution for 16:9 aspect ratio is 1824 x 1026.

24 fps in 1824 x 1026 resolution:
In 14 bit lossless raw gives about 30 seconds recording time till buffer is full.
In 12 bit lossless raw gives about 100 seconds recording time till buffer is full.

30 fps in 1824 x 1026 resolution:
In 14 bit lossless raw gives about 10 seconds recording time till buffer is full.
In 12 bit lossless raw gives about 20 seconds recording time till buffer is full.

If you really want continuous recording times, you could lower resolution a little.
For 24 fps, 1728 x 972 resolution in 12 bit lossless should give about unlimited recording time (till battery is empty or card is full  :P )
For unlimited recording time in 30 fps you need to lower resolution to 1600 x 900 and record in 12 bit lossless.

Another option instead is go wider then 16:9 aspect ratio.
For example 1:2.39 (which is very common aspect ratio for movies)
1824 x 764 x 24 fps x 14 bit lossless raw recording gives continuous recording time.
1824 x 764 x 30 fps x 12 bit lossless raw recording gives continuous recording time.

That said, if you really like to live on the edge, go buy a Sandisk extreme pro card and make use of the very experimental SD-UHS hack module, which makes it possible to get higher writing speeds, instead of about 40MB/s you can get 60+MB/s writing speed out of your Canon.
This makes it possible to get continuous recording in 1824 x 1026 x 14 bit lossless x 30 fps.

gsanchez922

Quote from: Levas on August 02, 2018, 12:04:27 PM

In 14 bit lossless raw gives about 30 seconds recording time till buffer is full.
In 12 bit lossless raw gives about 100 seconds recording time till buffer is full.

In 14 bit lossless raw gives about 10 seconds recording time till buffer is full.
In 12 bit lossless raw gives about 20 seconds recording time till buffer is full.

If you really want continuous recording times, you could lower resolution a little.
For 24 fps, 1728 x 972 resolution in 12 bit lossless should give about unlimited recording time (till battery is empty or card is full  :P )
For unlimited recording time in 30 fps you need to lower resolution to 1600 x 900 and record in 12 bit lossless.

1824 x 764 x 24 fps x 14 bit lossless raw recording gives continuous recording time.
1824 x 764 x 30 fps x 12 bit lossless raw recording gives continuous recording time.

That said, if you really like to live on the edge, go buy a Sandisk extreme pro card and make use of the very experimental SD-UHS hack module, which makes it possible to get higher writing speeds, instead of about 40MB/s you can get 60+MB/s writing speed out of your Canon.
This makes it possible to get continuous recording in 1824 x 1026 x 14 bit lossless x 30 fps.

Thanks so Much

barbona

Quote from: Levas on August 02, 2018, 12:04:27 PM

Hello, im new with using raw. i got a Sandisk extreme pro 95mb and got around 7 sec in 24 fps 1824 x 1026 resolution 14 bit. which is pretty standard i guess with 40/41 mb.
Could you expand on how to get 30 sec?
also could you explain how to get in 12 or 10 bit mode?

PD: today i've updated magic lantern on my 6d (Nightly build july 3) and added a sd uhs module for the 6d but it give me a error
Thanks!

Levas

I see you're using the nightly build. Not sure if the nightly build has lossless raw and 12 bit option etc.

For the ultimate magic lantern :D experience, I suggest you try the 'crop_rec_4K' build for the 6d on the experiments page.
Go to the Magic lantern main page and under 'Downloads' you will see a submenu, choose 'experiments'.
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html

Scroll down to the '4K raw video recording; lossless compression' builds.
The name for the build is a little misleading, since a true 4K option, with at least 24fps, only exist on the 5dIII
Direct link to the 6d build:
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/crop_rec_4k/80/artifact/platform/6D.116/magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2018Jul22.6D116.zip
This build has lossless raw options and lower bit depth options.
You can choose raw format within the raw video menu, using the 'q' button on your camera to acces the submenu.

The SD_UHS module doesn't work with all builds of Magic Lantern, but it should work with the crop_rec_4K build from the experiments page.
But I suggest you first try out stuff without the SD_UHS module, get a little feeling with raw video and raw lossless video.
After that you can still see if you really need it. Not sure if you already read the whole SD_UHS thread:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12862.0
But it appears there is some little risk in corrupting your SD card, if not correctly used.
I've never encountered any problems with the SD_UHS module, but it is good to know there is some risk involved.

EDIT:
Be sure you enable and use the MLV_Lite module for raw recording, MLV_Rec module has no use in this build and is best not to be enabled.
The MLV_Lite module has the lossless and lower bit depth options for raw video.

ctfire

Quote from: Levas on July 10, 2018, 08:19:23 PM
New Crop_rec update for 6d:

Hello , can you make 60fps preset?

Levas

Must have missed this request (Did go for a short vacation on the 20th august   :P )
I can make a 60fps preset, but it will go at the cost of some vertical resolution.
For the 50 fps preset, the vertical resolution was lowered to 800 pixels, will take a look into it how much lower it will get with 60 fps.

Levas

I've used my own crop_rec presets on vacation for some testing.
It works, but once in a while the first 2 frames of a mlv file are corrupt (purple, broken etc). But the rest of the mlv is fine, so it is usable.
Also when this happens, console shows up giving a error message (probably because of the weird file size of the few corrupted frames at the start).

This is what I have for now:

You must be in the correct video mode to use the presets, use zoom button a few times to scroll to 5x zoom/ 10x zoom etc, to be sure all registers are altered.
When used in the proper video mode, shutter times are accurate and can even be expanded to 1/25000th of a second, depending on the crop_rec preset.
To get this full range shutter time option, use q button in ML menu on the crop_rec option, you get a sub-menu with 2 shutter range options, 'original' or 'full range'.

-1832x800 50fps 720p mode : This is for use in Canon 50 fps 720p mode, doesn't work in Canon 1080p modes, not for use in 5x zoom mode, but for normal standard view.
-1832x1230 35fps 1080p mode: This is for use in standard Canon 1080p, not for use in 5x zoom mode, but for normal standard view.
-2688x1166 25 fps liveview: This is for use in standard Canon 1080p, and must be used in 5 x zoom mode. This mode has working liveview, be it a centered crop of the actual framing. Use ml preview to see the actual framing (depending on your settings, this happens automatic, otherwise use half shutter press to see preview)
-2880x1200 25fps ML preview:This is for use in standard Canon 1080p, and must be used in 5 x zoom mode. liveview is scrambled/broken, use ML preview option to see framing (see ML raw video menu for preview options)
-3840x2160 10fps ML preview:This is for use in standard Canon 1080p, and must be used in 5 x zoom mode. liveview is scrambled/broken, use ML preview option to see framing (see ML raw video menu for preview options)
-5120x2142 8.3fps ML preview:This is for use in standard Canon 1080p, and must be used in 5 x zoom mode. liveview is scrambled/broken, use ML preview option to see framing (see ML raw video menu for preview options)
-5472x3604 4.8fps ML preview:This is for use in standard Canon 1080p, and must be used in 5 x zoom mode. liveview is scrambled/broken, use ML preview option to see framing (see ML raw video menu for preview options)
This last one can be used as a sort of electronic shutter photo mode, with the so called full shutter range option, you can use fast shutter times, be it with a little rolling shutter effect. The fun thing is, the writing speed with the 6d is about just enough to get 1 or 2 frames in this mode, before the camerabuffer is full and stops.  :P
So it's a perfect silent electronic shutter photo mode  ;D

I used these preset for a while and I like the 2688x 1166 25fps with liveview the most, and I think it is the most usable one, because it has working liveview.
Also writing speed of the 6d is not sufficient enough to get long recording times in 2880x1200 for example.
Most of the times I even lowered the resolution to about 2560 x 1072 to get longer recording times, or 2400x1004 resolution.

For now these crop_rec modes only work with the 14 bit lossless recording option, 12 bit lossless and lower don't work, because liveview resolutions are bigger then standard.

And finally, here is the crop_rec module file for download, put in on your SD card in the ML/MODULES  folder, this module should work with the Crop_rec_4K build for 6d on the experimental builds download page.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-X2OB14zsZBKdvbJSQC6LokNOgMLXVQv

EDIT: these crop presets don't work that will with FPS override function. FPS override can be activated, but it could be that it destroys the usability of the resolution, so (random) corrupted frames.
FPS are sort of baked in, in these crop presets.
If people are looking for 24 fps crop presets, I can make a special 24fps crop_rec build with the above presets.

ctfire

Quote from: Levas on September 08, 2018, 05:46:28 PM
Must have missed this request (Did go for a short vacation on the 20th august   :P )
I can make a 60fps preset, but it will go at the cost of some vertical resolution.
For the 50 fps preset, the vertical resolution was lowered to 800 pixels, will take a look into it how much lower it will get with 60 fps.

I shoot 2.35 - 1 so it will be not a problem if resolution will be a little smaller. Thank you

Levas

Hi Ctfire,

Made a 60 fps crop_rec preset  8) - So 60 fps with square pixels, not the stretched stuff Canon gives us by default.
Takes some vertical resolution, probably more then you hoped for  :P
The max vertical resolution is now 708 pixels.
So for shooting in 2.35 aspect ratio, you have to lower the horizontal resolution in raw video menu to 1664.
The horizontal resolution can be adjusted in increments of 16 pixels in raw video menu with the top scroll wheel on your camera.
But 1664 x 708 raw video still looks amazingly good.

While making this preset I find out that with 722 pixel vertical resolution, all frames are corrupted.
Going to 720 vertical resolution gave more good frames then corrupted ones, but still corrupted frames every second or so.
So I lowered the vertical resolution to 708 pixels, I think this will be safe concerning corrupted frames, but haven't tested it, preview on camera looks good, testing is up to you.

The crop_rec module file:
file removed
EDIT, Tested it, still corrupted frames, ML preview looks good, but recording is full with corrupted frames, let me take a look at it.
Made some adjustments, this one works better, first 2 or 3 frames at the start are corrupted, rest of the frames looks good, happy testing :D
New file:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GdRoSqgcbeE9CovsdtYlM4P2trzf1Tue

How it looks on camera:

Danne

Hi Levas. Is it possible to manipulate mv1080p setting for in example eos 100D to achieve higher fps? Right now it works with 42 fps but going beyond this corrupts the image.

Levas

Hi Danne

I only could get really high fps in 720p mode on 6d.
In 1080p mode, the Canon 6d softbricks by about 38 fps.

Levas

Which means the 720p mode is really different then 1080p mode.
I first thought it's all the same, just a bunch of registers tweaked, A and B timer, resolution and stuff...but apparantly there's more difference going on between 1080p and 720p mode

Danne

ctfire

Quote from: Levas on September 09, 2018, 06:34:56 PM
Hi Ctfire,

Made a 60 fps crop_rec preset  8) - So 60 fps with square pixels, not the stretched stuff Canon gives us by default.
Takes some vertical resolution, probably more then you hoped for  :P
The max vertical resolution is now 708 pixels.
So for shooting in 2.35 aspect ratio, you have to lower the horizontal resolution in raw video menu to 1664.
The horizontal resolution can be adjusted in increments of 16 pixels in raw video menu with the top scroll wheel on your camera.
But 1664 x 708 raw video still looks amazingly good.

While making this preset I find out that with 722 pixel vertical resolution, all frames are corrupted.
Going to 720 vertical resolution gave more good frames then corrupted ones, but still corrupted frames every second or so.
So I lowered the vertical resolution to 708 pixels, I think this will be safe concerning corrupted frames, but haven't tested it, preview on camera looks good, testing is up to you.

The crop_rec module file:
file removed
EDIT, Tested it, still corrupted frames, ML preview looks good, but recording is full with corrupted frames, let me take a look at it.
Made some adjustments, this one works better, first 2 or 3 frames at the start are corrupted, rest of the frames looks good, happy testing :D
New file:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GdRoSqgcbeE9CovsdtYlM4P2trzf1Tue

How it looks on camera:

Thank you a lot

Levas

Was fiddling with crop_rec module on 6d to see if I could get clear 72fps, didn't succeed  :-\
But I did find out, that I had head 3 timer (register 713c) and head 4 timer (register 7050) not on optimal settings in my normal crop_rec presets.
This seems to be the reason why first 2 frames most of the times where corrupt and console text shows up often in my crop_rec builds.
So now working on a more stable crop_rec build for 6d, without the corrupted frames at start and console messages showing up.
But first I wanted to do some fun project, see how far I could get, resolution wise with 24fps instead of 25 fps.

I'll present to you, the CINEMA crop_rec module for 6d

For full resolution of the presets set aspect ratio to 3:2 in ML raw video menu.
Expect about 2 to 3 seconds of recording times in these high resolution settings (Some more with the SD_UHS overclock module).
For longer recording times, lower video resolution in ML raw video menu (use top scroll wheel to adjust), ofcourse different aspect ratios can be set within the raw video menu.
Presets are for use in 5x zoom mode. for best recording times, set preview option in ML raw video menu to 'Real-time' and use half shutter press to see framing/preview.

Link to module file:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eQIy9Z8A6-Z-YXH-q2lLB8nc6LrkEffI

IDA_ML

Levas,

Would it be possible to increase the vertical resolution of Vista vision by another 56 pixels to get 1440 and 16:9 aspect ratio?  Adding SD-card overclocking and 10-bit lossless to get 10-12 sec. of recording time will make a hell of a full-frame video camera out of the 6D !!!

Levas

Unfortunately 1440 was not possible without corrupted frames.
Otherwise I would have picked that resolution, 2560x1440 16:9.

Levas

Karim

Guys I want to test 12 bit loseless comp along with dual iso on my 6D but when I turn on dual_iso.mo it gives me ISOless PH err(3)
I tried to take a working dual iso module from the latest nightly build but when I activate it says old api version 6 , 7 expected
I read this post below but I dont know how to edit .mo file I opened it on notepad++ and it was encrypted
and yes I have no idea about coding  ::)

Quote from: Sapporo on May 24, 2018, 11:32:08 AM
Tried this with my 6D which I bought in Japan. Frame CMOS I changed to 40e6190 and photo CMOS I changed to 404e4e06. Still ISOless PH 3.  Only Magic-Lantern-4k crop mode has the issue. Not the Nightly build.

EDIT: It works! It was only me who didn't read everything. New values in CMOS 3 and not CMOS 0:

404e61b6
and
404e4e08

Levas

Had the same error, fixed like described in the post you quoted.
Thry this dual_iso.mo file and replace it with the dual_iso.mo file already on your SD card.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10eLbNnEZN9I6o6L8T5tKUboCwqMOTnYF