Canon 6D

Started by Maqs, May 01, 2015, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levas

@Dfort,

How did you make your famous 6d build with mlv_lite with sound recording option, the one from the 4th of februari ?

Tried to make/compile it myself, but no sound recording option in the mlv_lite menu  :-\

Did this in terminal to copy your source:

hg clone https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern

cd magic-lantern

hg pull && hg update crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_6D.116

That should be the right way, right ?

Danne

I think there is a mlv_lite branch with sound support.
Wild shot. Will this add sound support?
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/branch/crop_rec_4k_snd_ErwinH

dfort

Quote from: Levas on February 26, 2018, 07:19:02 PM
Tried to make/compile it myself, but no sound recording option in the mlv_lite menu  :-\

Looks like you're doing everything right in order to compile that branch. Are you turning on the mlv_snd module? I believe that's a requirement.

dfort

@Levas - Found something interesting in the EOSM2 crop_rec module that you might want to check and see if something similar is going on with the 6D.

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15895.msg197884#msg197884

MR MIAN

i have play with 14 bit~lossess for somedays.i found something interesting.
i opened dng files come form mlv_dump with dcraw then repaired black level in matlab just like
this.

dcraw = 'dcraw -c -4 -D';
system(sprintf('%s "%s" > tmp.pgm', dcraw, filename));
a = double(imread('tmp.pgm'));
[m,n]=size(a);
for i=1:2:m
for j=1:2:n
    out(i,j)=a(i,j)+128;
    out(i,j+1)=a(i,j+1)+256;
    out(1+i,j)=a(1+i,j)+512;
    out(i+1,j+1)=a(i+1,j+1)+1024;

then i did demosaicking in matlab with the demosaic function and output tiff file.
the output image looks very dark.after add on five levels of exposure it looks well.however, i found this way give me lots of noise.
it's strange since i take the photo with a low iso(400) it shouldn't give so many noise.so i did some more research.
i took two mlvs.one is over exposured(+5e) and the other one is totally dark(-10.5).take dngs from them and repair black-level in matlab.for over exposured,max figure is 16382 and for dark image,the average is 2047 and min is 2038.then,for the 0ev image, average is 2150,max 16124, min 2059.
so..it means almost all -10.5~0ev pixels' data were written within 8bit.(2150-2047)*2=206.
i have no idea if highlight data use the range of 2^14-2^7 ,but it seems impossable.
so...maybe for some reasons 6d record wrong data or mlv_dump can't change 14bit~lossess mlv from 6d to dng currectlly...or...for some other reasons.who knows.

sorry for my poor english. 

dfort

Quote from: MR MIAN on March 03, 2018, 03:29:56 PM
...or...for some other reasons.who knows.

Some other reasons, we're starting to know. Well, maybe just a1ex is starting to know:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=18443.msg197999#msg197999

MR MIAN

Quote from: dfort on March 03, 2018, 04:19:16 PM
Some other reasons, we're starting to know. Well, maybe just a1ex is starting to know:
out of my knowledge range. :'( :'( :'(

Levas

Alex and Dfort got it working!!!!!
Normal lossless MLV recording on the 6d, no more black level fixing needed and no more half corrupted frames at 1824x1026 resolution!
Try it out with the MLV_lite module.
Download the latest Crop_rec_4K for 6d here:
https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/

One thing, this build doesn't have the sound recording option in MLV_lite.
Probably needs some merging with the branch Danne posted before, will look into it later.

Levas

Quote from: Danne on February 26, 2018, 07:48:39 PM
I think there is a mlv_lite branch with sound support.
Wild shot. Will this add sound support?
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/branch/crop_rec_4k_snd_ErwinH

Does anyone know how I can merge the above with Dfort's build for 6d ?
Working on a Mac, I know how to compile, I know how I get the latest updated source from Dfort.
But how to merge ?

Danne

Quote from: a1ex on March 03, 2018, 11:00:53 PM
Simplified patch (to be applied from scratch):

d5-check.patch (unchanged)
lossless-res-d5-v2.patch

Please try on 6D, 700D, 650D, 70D, 100D, EOSM and (if possible) EOSM2. If it works, I'll commit this one.

Applied above patches also to crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd branch and made a build for testing. No idea about mlv_snd status here on 6D.

If you want to do it yourself you can apply patches easy by doing  following from inside root directory:
hg import [drag patch here and hit enter]

Not sure how to revert patches so make it on a copy of your directory.

6D test build:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2018Mar04.6D116.zip

I sense there is some pull request missing for 6D already in crop_rec_4k branch around lossless stuff so this might not work at all as it´s a branch from crop_rec_4k...

Levas

Quote from: Danne on March 04, 2018, 01:44:29 PM
I sense there is some pull request missing for 6D already in crop_rec_4k branch around lossless stuff so this might not work at all as it´s a branch from crop_rec_4k...

You're right, lossless recording doesn't work yet in this build, but sound recording with MLV_lite does.
So I think I download the source of the crop_rek_4k_mlv_lite_snd branch and the source of Dforts page.
I can make this work I guess.
Probably only files to check and alter are:
mlv_lite.c
raw.c
lossless.c

Levas

@Danne,
Perfect! Your build works, lossless with sound on the 6d  :D

Danne

How great! Thanks to A1ex and dfort and nice that I was able to provide a temporary build. Updated my Reply #811 with sources.

Levas

@Danne
How can I get the source of this ?
Do I have to download the Crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd build from Hudson and add the pull request from Dfort ?
Or do you have the source of this build on your bitbucket ?

Danne

Just posted about sources in my post above yours :)
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/branch/crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd_6D_70D

Anyway. It´s the patches from Alex and what else was missing I just copy pasted from dfort PR also linked to. I believe you can merge dfort PR into crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd and you are good to go, A1ex patches included already.

dfort

That's pretty much it. Just merge crop_rec_4k and crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd. Since we're working with pretty much all of the Digic 5 cameras and trying to resolve lossless compression on just a few of them without breaking the others, I didn't want to add mlv_lite_snd into the this just yet.

@Levas - please check and see if the latest 6D test build resolves the issue of saving full-res silent lossless. If it does I'll commit it and make a new test build with the sound option.

@Danne - hg import immediately commits the changes. When I get into a mess and can't back out changes I just blow off my local repository and re-clone it from the remote.

Levas

Check!

Quote from: Levas on March 04, 2018, 04:55:59 PM
This build from Dfort has working full-res-silent lossless pictures.
Simple lossless also works
And I have recorded a 14 bit lossless mlv (1824x1026) which gave normal frames.

So this means that the 6d doesn't need RABBIT, right ?

dfort

The RABBIT gets a carrot -- uploaded a crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd test build with the latest 6D changes.

VivaLaTip

Tested the following with @dfort latest build from his download page:

- 14 bit lossless mlv (1824x1026) video
- 12 bit lossless mlv (1824x1026) video
- 11-8 bit lossless mlv (1824x1026) video

Processed them with mlv_dump to get a single dng, and all seem to work well, no weird artifacts.

File size:
- 14 bit, 1,878 KB
- 12 bit, 1,630 KB
- 11-8 bit, 1,565 KB

Post-processing works with MLV APP

Sound works too.

Trevor

Hi there!
Is it possible to download Test build(crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd) from Bitbucket?
Unfortunately the link provided by Danne (#811) is 404 page

a1ex

Looking for a memory benchmark screenshot with any recent build (older than this post), taken in some particular conditions:

- photo mode, right after startup (without entering LiveView!)
- there should be no images on the card (the PLAY dialog must show "No image")

Running this scenario in QEMU gives artifacts on the screen; just wanted to check whether it also happens on real hardware.

If the screenshot doesn't look fine, try playing Arkanoid - it will show the same artifact.

Might also happen on other D5 models, but I've only seen it on 5D3 1.2.3 (on camera, but clean in QEMU) and on 6D (in QEMU). Enabling the change from 03c5f43 should fix it.

Sapporo

Quote from: a1ex on March 10, 2018, 07:07:29 PM
Looking for a memory benchmark screenshot with any recent build (older than this post), taken in some particular conditions:

- photo mode, right after startup (without entering LiveView!)
- there should be no images on the card (the PLAY dialog must show "No image")

Running this scenario in QEMU gives artifacts on the screen; just wanted to check whether it also happens on real hardware.

If the screenshot doesn't look fine, try playing Arkanoid - it will show the same artifact.

Might also happen on other D5 models, but I've only seen it on 5D3 1.2.3 (on camera, but clean in QEMU) and on 6D (in QEMU). Enabling the change from 03c5f43 should fix it.

a1ex

Thanks; mine looks like this:

and used to look like that on 5D3 1.2.3 a long time ago.

On 5D3 1.2.3, that happened if (and only if) the camera is started outside LiveView, without any images on the card (emphasis added, just to make sure you have ran this test correctly). Deleting the images before running the test is not enough - the camera must be started without any images on the card.

Sapporo

I enabled benchmark and arkanoid module, restarted camera, low level formatted the card and restarted, pressed trash can and went into ML menu and memory benchmark (1 min).