Canon 6D

Started by Maqs, May 01, 2015, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

8rnity

Quote from: dfort on December 04, 2017, 10:27:46 PM5472 / 3 = 1824
3648 / 3 = 1216

For 16:9 it just crops top and bottom.

You shouldn't need to re-balance the blacks unless you're playing around with the lossless compression stuff. It should be resolved eventually but for now it is a work in progress.
yes, so for x1024 there's a crop that I can do with software then.

I need lossless as 6D hasn't choice to rec a raw 1824 x 1216 without going out of buffer so I hope with lossless I have enough speed to rec at least 20 secs of raw video if not continuos at 1824 x 1216.

am I wrong?

dfort

You are right, these cameras with UHS-I SD cards need all the help they can get. Reduced bit rate and lossless compression help a lot. It would be great if we could get this working properly on the 6D but for now it looks at least some settings can be fixed in post.

8rnity

3x3 binning should improve noise and moire artifacts while skipping not. in 5dmk3 binning is employee in full hd res, what about this build? did you see moire improvement?

this evening I'll find time to install and report some trial

Levas

Quote from: dfort on December 04, 2017, 10:27:46 PM
Only for those who bought a 6D and can't get the right firmware because it isn't on Canon's website and the repository we've come to rely on has gone offline -- like now.

Probably a good idea if a moderator can put up a link to the 1.1.6 firmware file on my google drive in the first post on the first page of this topic ?
Or put a link to the firmware on the downloads page ?
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_WpYbRMOm_XrjWJxnns1FMiEN0tzZBWV

dfort

Quote from: 8rnity on December 05, 2017, 09:08:55 AM
3x3 binning should improve noise and moire artifacts while skipping not.

I've been told by a reliable source that most cameras (with the notable exception of the 5D3) do horizontal binning and vertical skipping. No build so far will improve on the aliasing and moiré but it can be smoothed out in post and of course there are VAF filters

Akash

Hey everyone,

I'm a bit confused, I downloaded the latest nightly build for my 6D and everything is running nice and smooth. But I still cannot find the settings for audio control. Its something I really would like to use in order to manually change the audio level, disable AGC etc. but it doesn't appear in the ML Settings. Any thoughts on this? With every other camera so far I was able to access the audio settings.

Would be very glad If someone could explain this.

8rnity

ok... mmm... non ok
tried lossless build and wasn't able to produce a single valid .mlv file

just tried 1824 x 1216 and doesn't work.
where am I wrong?

Walter Schulz

"Doesn't work" does not make it a proper issue report. Try to explain what's happening (or not).

Walter Schulz

Again: Settings used?
Trý to understand we are not psychic and have only the information you are giving us.

a1ex

Possible bug with new DryOS task hooks, reported on the 10/12-bit experimental builds (which already include this backend); reported twice (edit: 3 times).

Can you confirm?

edit: confirmed in QEMU - the issue is from new DryOS task hooks, not from 10/12-bit developments.

Test feedback on this build was given around here, but given this bug, I doubt it was actually tested beyond "camera starts and the screenshot feature works" (because that bug will bite you as soon as you will want to record a video). Just in case you might be wondering why the progress is so slow.

Levas

Quote from: a1ex on December 17, 2017, 10:25:12 PM
Test feedback on this build was given around here, but given this bug, I doubt it was actually tested beyond "camera starts and the screenshot feature works" (because that bug will bite you as soon as you will want to record a video). Just in case you might be wondering why the progress is so slow.

No need to doubt about that, camera start and screenshot feature where the only things tested...
My fault, I translated the post below as: I need 2 screenshots, just like audionut posted, to verify.
I thought something had to be checked in the free memory dialog...but as I understand know, this build was meant to be tested all the way :o

Quote from: a1ex on October 19, 2017, 08:00:28 PM
Also, this PR (new DryOS task hooks) is open since 2015, and I'd really like to have it in the nightly builds (100D, 70D and EOSM2 are all waiting for it), but other than 2 screenshots from Audionut, there was zero feedback from 6D users. What are you waiting for?!

8rnity

Quote from: Walter Schulz on December 15, 2017, 01:09:05 AM
Again: Settings used?
Trý to understand we are not psychic and have only the information you are giving us.

I used: crop_rec_4k.2017Nov16.6D116.zip
installed on camera, my 6D
modules: crop_rec, mlv_lite
resolution: 1824 x 1216, 14 bit lossless, 3:2, preview auto, crop mode OFF

mlv_play on camera shows video well, but when extract .dng from .mlv are corrupted.
I use pismo+mlvfs.dll to mount .mlv and open .dng or raw2cdng.1.7.9 to extract

Levas

Those settings should work, my guess is that it goes wrong with extracting the dng's.
Can you share the mlv file, or shoot a new short mlv with the same settings and share that file ?
I can check what I get with mlv_dump, which is what I use for extracting dng's.

Danne

8rnity

ok, thank you, so I used mlv_dump and that batch to extract .dng and this time at least are converted!

but

- I see a pattern on pics.. something as pixelation.. like sensor pattern
- black levels are not ok even with exiftool command

continue to try.. for the 2nd issue I have. for the first I have no idea :)

Levas

No the pattern is right, its caused by the wrong blacklevels.
Lossless works on 6d, but blacklevel offset is wrong.
You're almost there, you need exiftool to fix this.
Once you've got your dng's you need to use exiftool (google for it)

See this post for command line usage for exiftool to fix your dng's
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15088.msg193266#msg193266

Danne

It should be possible to use batch mlv to write the black level and then process the mlv file directly.

8rnity

yes, already tried exiftools and don't seemed to be alright but now I'll try again.
however, thank you. I'm not able to buy a 5D3 for this and all help is welcome.
I saw that losslell vs uncompressed is a big gap, permits to have all time I need to make short videos.
thank you again.

8rnity

hi to all,

this is jpg 150% of NO lossless:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkxwvqfuohyjq6m/no_pattern_no_lossless.JPG?dl=0

this is jpg 150% of after 1st exiftools command: exiftool -IFD0:BlackLevelRepeatDim="2 2" 6D_14bit_lossless.dng
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8paly8yjupi3t7/pattern_after_1st_exiftools_lossless.JPG?dl=0

this is jpg 150% of after 2st exiftools command: exiftool -IFD0:BlackLevel="1919 1791 1535 1024" 6D_14bit_lossless.dng
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqosm4d1tw786l9/pattern_after_2st_exiftools_lossless.JPG?dl=0

and these are original dng:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0wiyr5m6ttb5dq/6D_14bit.dng?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qi7y1yhpocg10ox/6D_14bit_lossless.dng?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9d3108ccsu6kzh/6D_14bit_lossless_exiftool%20-IFD0BlackLevelRepeatDim%3D2%202.dng?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzx0hpbeszbxkmz/6D_14bit_lossless_IFD0BlackLevelRepeatDim%3D2%202_exiftool%20-IFD0BlackLevel%3D1919%201791%201535%201024.dng?dl=0

mmm.. :-\ there's something wrong ;D

however! in last jpg I can see some strange border.. few lines in lowest and dx part of full image are ok.
can't understand..

a1ex

Can you extract the DNGs with vanilla mlv_dump and retry the same command?

Reason:

exiftool -BlackLevelRepeatDim="2 2" -BlackLevel="1920 1792 1536 1024" 6D_14bit_lossless.dng -v
======== 6D_14bit_lossless.dng
Rewriting 6D_14bit_lossless.dng...
  Editing tags in: ExifIFD IFD0 MakerNotes SubIFD TIFF
  FileType = DNG
  FileTypeExtension = DNG
  MIMEType = image/x-adobe-dng
  Rewriting IFD0
  Rewriting ExifIFD
  Copying 1 image data blocks
Nothing changed in 6D_14bit_lossless.dng
    0 image files updated
    1 image files unchanged

dng_validate.exe 6D_14bit_lossless.dng
Validating "6D_14bit_lossless.dng"...
*** Warning: The ExposureTime is <= 0 ***
*** Error: DNGBackwardVersion (or DNGVersion) is too high ***

# with the file from Levas:
dng_validate.exe Silent-lossless.DNG
Validating "Silent-lossless.DNG"...
*** Warning: Too little padding on left edge of CFA image (possible interpolation artifacts) ***
*** Warning: Too little padding on top edge of CFA image (possible interpolation artifacts) ***
*** Warning: Too little padding on right edge of CFA image (possible interpolation artifacts) ***
*** Warning: Too little padding on bottom edge of CFA image (possible interpolation artifacts) ***
Raw image read time: 0.126 sec
Linearization time: 0.045 sec
Interpolate time: 0.125 sec
Validation complete

Also, depending on the raw processing software you use, you may have to swap the middle black levels, i.e. "1920 1536 1792 1024". At least RawTherapee requires the swapped order, but I believe this is a bug that should be documented properly and reported to them (sure, it's a corner case, who else uses DNGs with per-channel black levels?!). Darktable, dcraw and dng_validate will accept the first version (1920 1792 1536 1024).

Levas

Quote from: a1ex on December 20, 2017, 12:29:42 PM
Also, depending on the raw processing software you use, you may have to swap the middle black levels, i.e. "1920 1536 1792 1024". At least RawTherapee requires the swapped order, but I believe this is a bug that should be documented properly and reported to them (sure, it's a corner case, who else uses DNGs with per-channel black levels?!). Darktable, dcraw and dng_validate will accept the first version (1920 1792 1536 1024).

When you have your dng's right, they still don't look good in RawTherapee, most certainly a bug.
Other software that I've used are displaying the dng's right (Lightroom, Preview in MacOs Sierra)
I'm using RawTherapee but as I want my dng's to be futureproof, I'm using the normal black level fix and in Rawtherapee set the raw black points too: Green 1 to value -256 and green 2 to value 256
Planning on reporting the bug to RawTherapee developers, cause the green channels seem to be swapped, not sure if Canon has different CFA for both green channels, but I can imagine that it's best too have those channels right in RawTherapee.

8rnity

Quote from: a1ex on December 20, 2017, 12:29:42 PM
Can you extract the DNGs with vanilla mlv_dump and retry the same command?

hi, thank you for answer, it was already "vanilla mlv_dump" as "mlv dump batch" latest version is based on bouncyball's "mlv_dump on steroids".
however extracted again.

with your command:

exiftool -BlackLevelRepeatDim="2 2" -BlackLevel="1920 1792 1536 1024" 6D_14bit_lossless.dng -v
[..cut..]
Nothing changed in 6D_14bit_lossless.dng
    0 image files updated
    1 image files unchanged

but with -IFD0:

C:\Users\marco\Desktop\mlv>exiftool -IFD0:BlackLevelRepeatDim="2 2" -IFD0:BlackLevel="1920 1792 1536 1024" 6D_14bit_lossless.dng -v
======== 6D_14bit_lossless.dng
Rewriting 6D_14bit_lossless.dng...
  Editing tags in: IFD0 TIFF
  FileType = DNG
  FileTypeExtension = DNG
  MIMEType = image/x-adobe-dng
  Rewriting IFD0
  Rewriting ExifIFD
  Copying 1 image data blocks
    1 image files updated

QuoteAlso, depending on the raw processing software you use [..cut..]

yes, I read this so I used CR only.
fog here in my mind..  ???  should obtain same file as levas but I'm not able..

a1ex

Quote from: 8rnity on December 20, 2017, 06:18:51 PM
hi, thank you for answer, it was already "vanilla mlv_dump"

It was bouncyball's "mlv_dump on steroids", not the vanilla one.

Anyway - I have a feeling the difference might not be just a black level offset in this case. In particular, there is a lot of posterization on green and blue channel; besides, the blue channel doesn't look right at all. It might be a compression or a decompression issue - do the files look right in mlv_play? (if yes, it's the latter; if it shows similar defects, it's likely the former).

Let's modify silent.mo to save both uncompressed and lossless versions of the same input image. Can you try this patch?

diff -r 01fc07461da5 modules/silent/silent.c
--- a/modules/silent/silent.c
+++ b/modules/silent/silent.c
@@ -558,7 +558,10 @@
             char* filename = silent_pic_get_name();
             int ok = save_dng(filename, raw_info);
             if (!ok) bmp_printf( FONT_MED, 0, 83, "DNG save error (card full?)");
-            return ok;
+            /* undo the damage done by save_dng */
+            extern void reverse_bytes_order(void *, int);
+            reverse_bytes_order(raw_info->buffer, raw_info->frame_size);
+            /* fall-through to save a lossless version of the same input image */
         }

case SILENT_PIC_FILE_FORMAT_LOSSLESS_DNG:

This should save two DNGs from the same buffer - one uncompressed and the other one lossless.

Also, please try these patches and document their effect - maybe one of them affects this somehow.

8rnity

Quote from: a1ex
It was bouncyball's "mlv_dump on steroids", not the vanilla one.

you right, check this later

Quotedo the files look right in mlv_play? (if yes, it's the latter; if it shows similar defects, it's likely the former).

no, it doesn't. in camera looks exactly as on pc (bad)

QuoteLet's modify silent.mo to save both uncompressed and lossless versions of the same input image. Can you try this patch?

uh oh.. I'm going to study
meanwhile I uploaded .mlv on dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pm2rpmu5m3s6s5e/M18-2132.MLV?dl=0