Canon 6D

Started by Maqs, May 01, 2015, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strongenough

oops sorry for posting in french !  I meant to say  when  I play the video on the camera  but when I play it on the Computer it is stretched  ,
could you please give advice for the best settings for the Transcend  90ms/600x  sd card  for continuous recording

Thanks

ilia3101

If you want higher resolution try the 10/12 bit branch. I see it is stretched in your playback, but knowing that doesn't help, what software are you playing it back in, has it been converted to mov or other format, if so, using what software?
Use MLRawViewer to play raw videos.

Also was the camera in 720p and/or 60fps? Could be mv720.

Levas

@strongenough

Looks like you have the camera in 720p50fps mode and not in 1080p25fps.
Look in canon menu.
This has nothing to do with ML.

If the camera is in 720p50fps mode, the picture has to be unsqueezed by about 1.60 vertical to get right aspect ratio, Canon is skipping some lines here to achieve the 50fps read out.
Once you've set you camera to 1080p25fps in Canon menu, you're getting normal resolutions in ML raw video mode  8)

Levas

For continuous recording you're limited to about 1280x720, that is in the normal magic lantern version for 6d.
But if you look further on the download page, you can see the link "experiments"
On the experiments page you'll find a magic lantern version for the 6d that gives you the option to record in either 10, 12 or 14 bit.

When choosing for 10 bit, you can probably get continuous recording at 1440 x 810 resolution.

But the 10/12 bit recording is rather new and not all home made post process software can handle the 10/12 bit MLV files.

strongenough

Thanks a lot for your help and this really help:
I have converted the ML files  and played it with VLC, so If I have understood your advices it's better to record in raw rather than ml

Thanks

Levas

No, you need to set the right settings in the canon video menu to get normal(not stretched) looking video.

Somewhere in the canon camera menu you can choose between 1080 and 720 resolution.
So this setting is not in the magic lantern menu.
Choose one of the 1080 settings. If you choose 720p setting your ML videos will look stretched.

Shiranai

Did anyone else experience major battery drain, even when the camera is turned off?
I noticed that problem now 2 times, each time fully charged battery, did a shoot for like 10 minutes, at the next day the battery is empty.
Happened with original Canon battery as well as a China one.
And it just started a few days ago when I updated to the latest nightly.

Walter Schulz

You removed the card, right? Make sure to wait some time *after* opening card compartment before removing card. Cam will access card after opening card slot (power off? -> Cam doesn't care) and may run random stuff after incomplete shutdown.
Test and report back.

Levas

Internal GPS in the 6d is known for battery drain, even when camera is turned off.
So check if GPS is off.

GediminasJ

Hey, are you planing upgrade ML for 6D to 1080 50fps recording?:) As you have done for canon 5D mark iii.

ssputnik

hi..i just installed ML latest build on eod 6d...under modules i enabled mlv recording ver1.1 mlv lite..i think this is 14bit recording raw video, right? on my canon 6d recording stops after 5 seconds...i know limitation on 6d is raw video 1724x....for around 20 second, but i get only 5 second..what am i doing wrong..do i have wrong module enabled for video recording?

thanks for helping

imagineD

Quote from: kumsa on April 28, 2017, 09:43:10 PM
On my 550d, with ML, I can get a RAW histogram in the review mode as I cycle through images. All I do is select the Q and up pops the RAW histogram.

Are you sure about this? I always wanted this on my 650D, to be able to see the RAW histogram whenever you like instead just right after taking the images.

Quote from: a1ex on April 30, 2017, 09:43:44 AM
I'm pretty sure you can't.
The shortcut key for overlays should be listed in the Help menu. Whether that key actually works or not, I don't know.
I don't have anything in the Help Menu. Can you help me where can i find and install the Help files for ML ?

a1ex

Quote from: imagineD on June 22, 2017, 11:44:56 AM
Can you help me where can i find and install the Help files for ML ?

That's something we need to fix (help welcome), but the info you need should be in the main menu (don't press anything, just read it).

QuoteI don't have anything in the Help Menu.

Even though I don't know how exactly this menu looks on 6D (as the emulator is not there yet), I have a feeling it's not completely empty.

imagineD

@ a1ex if i can help somehow im in :)
BTW on my 6D when I view (play) the images and when i press the LIGHT button (uppers screen light button) it really displays the histogram and zebras or focus peaking dost on the image.
But I noticed the histogram is not the RAW histogram, i think it is generated from the preview image..?
It would be nice to be able to see the RAW histo and even the ETTR hint whenever you want for all saved images

a1ex

@ a1ex if i can help somehow im in :)

Just look up Audionut's signature.

Quote from: imagineD on June 23, 2017, 12:04:26 AM
BTW on my 6D when I view (play) the images and when i press the LIGHT button (uppers screen light button) it really displays the histogram and zebras or focus peaking dost on the image.

Yes, that button should be mentioned on the help tab.

But I noticed the histogram is not the RAW histogram, i think it is generated from the preview image..?
It would be nice to be able to see the RAW histo and even the ETTR hint whenever you want for all saved images

Until recently, that required running dcraw on the camera (very very slow); however, some days ago, g3gg0 found out how to use the hardware lossless decoder (which is what we need to decode the CR2). Still, some small things are left to reverse-engineer, such as the file name of the image being reviewed.

Finding these should be straighforward in QEMU. For emulating the 6D (which is something I'd like to do regardless of this particular feature), I need a copy of the the serial flash contents. One can get it with the sf_dump module (it needs to be updated for 6D and compiled from source). Very easy coding task.

imagineD

Quote from: a1ex on June 23, 2017, 09:28:24 AM
Finding these should be straighforward in QEMU. For emulating the 6D (which is something I'd like to do regardless of this particular feature), I need a copy of the the serial flash contents. One can get it with the sf_dump module (it needs to be updated for 6D and compiled from source). Very easy coding task.

Is there anything I can do to speed up this process? :) I can try to get the serial flash content from my 6D for you is someone update/compile the sf_dump module.

Oleg_K

Quote from: Levas on April 05, 2017, 05:34:13 PM
Silent picture module and intervalometer
Full resolution silent pictures
15 seconds exposure
5 seconds between pictures
How to turn off the display during the timelapse and is it possible for Canon 6D?
Button "info" I do not turn the screen, and sorts out different information.

NunoCaldeira

Quote from: Oleg_K on July 11, 2017, 07:17:16 AM
How to turn off the display during the timelapse and is it possible for Canon 6D?
Button "info" I do not turn the screen, and sorts out different information.
http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#powersave_in_liveview

Powersave in LiveView...

Options for maximizing battery life when using LiveView.
    Enable power saving: on Standby, during Recording, or always.
    Use LCD sensor: you can use it to wake up from powersave (wave your hand near it), or to force powersave mode (cover the sensor for a few seconds).
    Dim display: In LiveView, if the camera is idle, Magic Lantern will reduce the LCD backlight level to minimum in order to save power.
    Turn off LCD and LV: this will turn off the display and the sensor activity in LiveView. Mirror will not be moved. If the camera is recording or motion detection is enabled, only the display will be turned off (so recording will not stop).
    Turn off GlobalDraw: if the camera is idle, ML overlay graphics will be disabled to reduce CPU usage.

Oleg_K

Quote from: leavesfromthepresentpast on July 11, 2017, 08:17:22 PM
http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#powersave_in_liveview

Powersave in LiveView...

Options for maximizing battery life when using LiveView.
This I read, the camera canon 6d does not work.

NunoCaldeira

Quote from: Oleg_K on July 12, 2017, 04:17:08 AM
This I read, the camera canon 6d does not work.
unless you made a custom ML for yourself it does (yes i do have a 6D).
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3498.0

go to PREFS/POWERSAVE IN LIVEVIEW/ then enable the power saving on recording or whatever u want, pick a button to activate or turn off auto after certain seconds.

Levas

You want screenshots of the free memory dialog on the 6d I guess ?
Which builds should I download for the before and after screenshots ?

ndtriet

Hi guys, I just wonder that my 6D firmware version is 1.1.7, then can I install magic lantern??

Walter Schulz

Yes, after downgrading Canon firmware as mentioned in Download Nightly Builds page.

xomato

Hi! I've got 6D with firmware version is 1.1.6. I've installed ML and normally used it for a week. Today I've opened the SD door with SD card without ML to change cards and camera turned off. Now camera doesn't turn on with any SD card, but works without card. I've formatted another card but no success with it. Is it possible to fix it?