Canon 6D

Started by Maqs, May 01, 2015, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vohkiem

Is anyone able to find/use the Dual ISO in Photo mode of canon 6D?  Thank you very much

keepersdungeon

Quote from: vohkiem on April 15, 2016, 09:35:26 AM
Is anyone able to find/use the Dual ISO in Photo mode of canon 6D?  Thank you very much
Install nightly build, go to module and activate it from there, restart the cam should be good

vohkiem

Quote from: Audionut on April 15, 2016, 11:07:03 AM
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12713.0

Thank you keepersdungeon and Audionut so much for pointing out the modules.  I will try it to night.

ilsimo

i understand that the option to enable cbr was removed, what i can't figure out is why in 1080p all i my videos looks so bad, i tested a sandisk ultra and a sandisk pro ultra (one is 45MB/s and the last 85MB/s tested by me) more than enough to manage the 91 mbps claimed by Canon, but if i check on ML the instant bitrate on the display it's very difficult to see it going above 50mbps, sometimes go to zero. I can see in different scenarios, with some imagines more busy than others, an average of 35/37 mbps. Is there someone finding the same behavior?

KelvinK

6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

chris88

Bug or feature?

I can not change the color of the focus peaking. No matter what color I select, the focus peaking color remains always "red". Tested on my Canon 6D with Firmware 1.1.6 and the newest nightly of ML.

a1ex

60D: seems to work fine (tried yellow and green).

Can you find out which was the last good nightly build, regarding this feature?

chris88

Just found out:
Display type: Blinking Dots works fine with the different colors. But when setting "Fine dots" or "Alpha blend" only the red color works.

RTLdan

Hi ML 6D Users!
I updated ML on my 6D to the latest build (May 7th) yesterday, and I encountered a problem where I was
unable to change iso/kelvin using the d-pad, and also unable to hide the iso/kelvin overlay using the toggle button.
I was on a shoot, so I quickly reverted to an older build that worked fine.

Has anybody else encountered this issue? I haven't had time to go back and do a more thorough test, but I wanted to see if there
are any other reports?

Thanks!
-Daniel

Walter Schulz

Backup ML/Settings
Delete ML directory and autoexec.bin
Copy extracted nightly build to card
Retry and report back

Sierra

Hi,

after some trouble I would really recommend to add this text:

QuoteVery important

Never delete the Magic Lantern files from the card! Format the card instead.
After opening the card door, always wait for LED confirmation (or for 5 seconds) before removing the card, even if your camera is turned off!!!
Right after opening the card door, Canon firmware accesses the card without turning on the LED (yes, with the main switch turned off). If you remove the card too early, the camera will freeze and will drain the battery, or even cause permanent damage! You will be running random code (remember you are loading executable code from the card), and we can't do anything about it without reflashing Canon firmware with our own code

to the download page as well, or the LINK below with message IMPORTANT BEFORE INSTALLING. If I had know before, this software can ruin the camera, and that one should not remove SD card the first 5 seconds, I wouldn't have had the big problems I had last 30 minutes (6D did not start up, had to remove battery, wait for 15min, getting worried and so on)...

I really don't understand why there is no link for newbies coming directly from the main webpage to the download section:

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install

Or have I missed it? I do not see any link, just information you are not responsible... :P :)

Regards Chris

a1ex

@Sierra: does the 6D access the SD card without turning on the LED? I doubt it; to my knowledge, only 5D2, 50D and 500D do that.

Detailed info about how to test for this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1455.0

About removing the SD card while the activity LED is on... I think it's obvious it shouldn't be done.

@RTLdan: which is the last good nightly build, regarding your issue?

Sierra

@a1ex: Well, I assume it was also a problem of not using the right SD card (had one without boot partition).

My problem at the moment is to get maximum video quality. My SD controller in 6D locks me to 40MB/s (my SD card could offer more I guess), but this would mean I can only shoot 1280x720 (38MB/s is said in the ML Menu) - everything else is more than 40MB/s. How do people shoot higher resolutions with the 6D? I mean, nobody can use other SD slot, so I'm quite surprised how people do... ? I also cannot enter 1600x400, as the aspect ratio forces me to some certain ratio...

Could someone please help me how to enter maximum video quality settings with ML?

simonm

In short, you cannot use the higher resolutions with uncompressed formats (RAW or MLV). The SD card CONTROLLER in the 6D is not fast enough to do it. You can use normal H264 compression, but it is lossy, so there will be some artefacts.

A faster SD card (above 40 MB/sec) will not help - the limitation is Canon hardware.

ML will let you try: the higher the resolution, the quicker the buffer runs out and recording stops with a "skipped frame" error (when I try it). You can record a few seconds of full-res raw video, but that is not long enough for serious work.

This is all documented here on the forum: use the search function.

There is also a discussion about writing new code for recording raw in lower bit depth (12-bit or 10-bit). You cannot do this now.

IF, and only if, this can be done by controlling other parts of the camera hardware, it MIGHT reduce the data rate going into the SD controller enough to permit higher resolution raw recording, but that would take a lot of work, and I would guess a new raw storage format just for cameras like the 6D.

I understand the issues, but don't have the skills to help the project. I wish I could help, but it sounds quite hard (turning off bits for the pixel data is fairly easy, but making effective use of that to get more frames to the SD card per second is hard).

I am very grateful to the team for what we do have, and for free.

S.

chris88

Levas

@Sierra, if you want perfect raw video on the 6d, you have to get used to limited recording times and an aspect ratio wider then 16:9.
I'm shooting video on the 6d a lot in 1728 x 724 at 25fps in 1:2,39 aspect ratio.
This settings will give you 16 seconds of recording time on the 6d.

Use DaVinci Resolve to scale the 1728 x 724 resolution up to 1920 x 800 and there you have the best quality HD from your canon.

Want more time, 1600 x 670 at 25fps gives you about half a minute of recording time.

16 seconds is long enough to take many short clips and edit a nice video out of it.
If it works for you, depends on what you want to record...it won't work to record interviews or presentations and stuff  :P

RTLdan

Quote from: a1ex on May 14, 2016, 03:59:15 PM
@RTLdan: which is the last good nightly build, regarding your issue?

Hi Alex!
Thanks for your reply. I've had a chance to re-test the issue I was experiencing.
What is happening for me on the May 7th, 2016 build is that pressing the d-pad in any direction
has no effect on kelvin or iso when that menu overlay is pulled up. The d-pad does change the position of the spot meter overlay, however. In fact, if spotmeter is enabled, and also the kelvin/iso overlay is pulled up, the d-pad still moves the spotmeter.

I'm not sure what the most recent working build is, but the last working build I had on another card was Feb 13th, 2016.

Thanks for your help, and all the work you do for this project!
-Daniel

a1ex

Reproduced; all cameras have this bug, but maybe arrow shortcuts are not that widely used?

RTLdan

Quote from: a1ex on May 15, 2016, 06:37:54 PM
Reproduced; all cameras have this bug, but maybe arrow shortcuts are not that widely used?

Can't speak for others, but personally this is the exclusive way I've been changing iso and kelvin values!  :)
For now I will stick with the older build to keep this ability. Just my two cents...
Best,
-Daniel

RTLdan

Hi Alex,
Just want to say I tried the latest May 16th, 2016 build today, and that solved the problem I
had described above. I am once again happily updated to the most current build.
Thanks for all the time and attention you devote to ML!
Best,
-Daniel

m!!!

I wonder what ML would bring to a still photographer. I know one limitation of the 6D that I'm darn eager to overcome. When using auto ISO (in aperture mode) I can't set the minimum shutter speed over 1/250. I'd like to be able to set it to 1/320 and above. Does installing ML make this possible?

Chele

Quote from: m!!! on May 17, 2016, 01:00:22 PM
I wonder what ML would bring to a still photographer. I know one limitation of the 6D that I'm darn eager to overcome. When using auto ISO (in aperture mode) I can't set the minimum shutter speed over 1/250. I'd like to be able to set it to 1/320 and above. Does installing ML make this possible?
I have never used video on my 6D, strictly photography!  I bought the 6D only after confirming that ML was available for it after using it on my 70D.  The camera is very seldom used in anything other than full manual.  Features I use all the time: 1) exposure lock; 2) RAW histogram; 3) zebras - the ability to see when highlights are getting clipped, I use ETTR 99% of the time. 4) DualISO 5) timed exposures longer than 30secs in Bulb.  The camera has many more features(which I seldom use), but I'm extremely happy with just these features.

m!!!

Quote from: Chele on May 17, 2016, 01:43:46 PM
I have never used video on my 6D, strictly photography!  I bought the 6D only after confirming that ML was available for it after using it on my 70D.  The camera is very seldom used in anything other than full manual.  Features I use all the time: 1) exposure lock; 2) RAW histogram; 3) zebras - the ability to see when highlights are getting clipped, I use ETTR 99% of the time. 4) DualISO 5) timed exposures longer than 30secs in Bulb.  The camera has many more features(which I seldom use), but I'm extremely happy with just these features.
Thanks! Could you check to see if the auto ISO features I'm asking for are there? Another thing that comes to mind... Is exposure compensation in manual mode working these days? By that I mean: if I've set a shutter speed and aperture and auto ISO in manual mode I'd like to be able to use exposure compensation. Would that be possible?

Chemik

Hi, I don't know if this is a known problem but I found that Focus End Point doesn't work from the Custom menu. It works only from the Focus menu. This is not a big problem, but is there any chance to correct this? Thanks for your great work, Chemik.