Canon 6D

Started by Maqs, May 01, 2015, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnbro27

MakeMacRo

I have used 1.1.3 with ML and it were rock solid for me, though 1.1.6 seams to be not quite that smooth yet. But some of that might be that I have recently tried more advanced features. ML is really great and makes the 6D into a vastly better camera than it would be without ML.

After I reapplied the 1.1.6 firmware update and installed the dec.20 ML, things seam to have improved.

I notice some oddities.
When I set the FPS to 2.5 (in the movie tab) with live view active it jump from just below 30 to 2.5 (as it should),
the exposure jumps from f/2 1/80 ISO1000 to f/2.8 1/100 ISO200 for stills (as it probably shouldn't)
and test exposures is massively underexposed. Half of the times I try a test exposure the screen show the overexposure
pattern over the entire screen after it is finished showing the photo, and the true image might move downwards from the
top within a few seconds (or not), but I'm wary of letting it stay on in a crashed state so I turn the camera off and take the
battery out for a few seconds.

Modules that I have loaded but not activated is: silent, file_man, pic_view.

Edit:
Silent pic with FPS override also produced artifacts, flickering with parts of image and "modern art" after I tried to take a picture.

Movie with FPS override worked as should. It were slow to adjust the exposure correctly but that is OK and probably just a
result of the slow frame rate :-).

All the testing so far were done in Program mode.

praad

Hello,

Latest nightly builds (2016.01.25) has some problems with loading modules.
I get undefined symbols error when ML try to load modules.

Adam Prancz Photographer -http://portfoliofotos.hu

Walter Schulz

You get undefined symbols messages when you try to load MLV_SND.mo without MLV_REC.mo ...

Safetycatch

Hi

I'm new to this forum, and posting!  and can't seem to find how to post a new thread. 
So...

I have a canon 6D, and due to lack of ML full HD capability (?) have been shooting on native h.264 modes.  However I need to be able to shoot for longer times that the 29 min 59v sec options it offers, up to an hour and over some times as much of my work is in videography.  Does ML allow for this on the newer version?  And is it anywhere nearer full 1080 capacity?  Some posts on here speak of the full 1080 but only on RAW mode and it seems for short bursts?

Does the raw at the lower than 1080 res 'down' convert well to full HD?  Comparisons on youtube suggest the native thing is better. 

Any ideas or suggestions for solutions to these problems much appreciated. 

Many thanks

takhrai

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how this works with my 6D.
I've started mlv_play, mlv_rec, raw_rec in modules and i can take RAW videos for 6-8 sec before it says "Frame skipped stopped". As i read above i should lower my resolution to take longer clips but how can i do that? When i'm trying to do this in video settings i can only switch between on/off and when it's on, it seems to highest resolution?

Best regards

Levas

While using the 'set' button to toggle raw video on and off just try pushing the 'Q' button once ;D

Walter Schulz

RAW_REC.mo -> First RAW recording implementation by ML. Fast. Sound recording: Nope. Metadata: Not that much. Support status: It's there, it works but take it as it is.
MLV_REC.mo -> "ML video" format. Slower. Sound recording supported (requires MLV_SND.mo). Metadata: Yes! Support status: At your service.

Don't use both together. Both will try to write vast amounts of data to the card and will have to share 6D's rather limited SD-card interface limit (about 41 MByte/s writing) if used simultaneously.
You can expect about 720p24 recording (continuous) or shorter clips for higher data rates.

Use ExFAT file system.

takhrai

Levas & Walter Schulz

Thank you for your help! Now it works like a charm.

wadelambert

Hi Guys

I recently just got my 6D and have loaded up ML 1.1.6.

I want to just use ML for personal "creative" videos. I have the Lexar 150mb 1000x 32GB SD cards - I only upload to vimeo so can I get 14bit raw while recording 720p 25fps? I see it says 720p 16:9 1.42x (what does that mean the 1.42x?)

Or can someone give me some info on the best settings for 720 HD for vimeo?

Thanks
Wade

ISawGold

Did a little testing. Times are accurate to a second or two.

http://i.imgur.com/gBp9gfy.png

Levas

To record 720p you don't need to switch your camera in the canon menu to 720p 50fps.
That setting is for high fps video, 50fps. The sensor is readout with a trick, if you record that in raw with ML then it needs unstretching vertically, because the sensor readout skipped some extra lines.

Just keep it in 1080-25fps mode in Canon menu.
You can set resolution and aspect ratio in ML raw video menu.
There you can set it to 1280 wide resolution, which gives 720p resolution in 16:9 aspect ratio.
This gives you 14bit raw 720p recording

wadelambert

Quote from: Levas on January 31, 2016, 12:08:59 PM
To record 720p you don't need to switch your camera in the canon menu to 720p 50fps.
That setting is for high fps video, 50fps. The sensor is readout with a trick, if you record that in raw with ML then it needs unstretching vertically, because the sensor readout skipped some extra lines.

Just keep it in 1080-25fps mode in Canon menu.
You can set resolution and aspect ratio in ML raw video menu.
There you can set it to 1280 wide resolution, which gives 720p resolution in 16:9 aspect ratio.
This gives you 14bit raw 720p recording

Thanks Levas! Yeah my canon setting is 1080 25fps ALL - i , then 720 in ML 16:9 - Shot a few clips this morning will see how they look :)

chavd

Hi, i have a problem with my 6D using Magic lantern.
After I installed ML on it sometimes the battery is drained completely whitin a couple of dayя whitout using the campera.
I used ML on my 550D without any problem like this.
Does

Walter Schulz

Until now we had several issues with battery draining but none of them was reproduceable.

Do you have this problem after removing the card? You have to shutdown your cam first and wait some time *after* opening card compartment door before removing card.

Levas

The GPS in the 6d is known for battery drain.
Look in the canon menu if you have GPS on, if so turn it off and see if the battery is not drained.
I doubt it has something to do with ML.
The GPS is known for battery usage, even if the camera is turned off

Walter Schulz

Need assistance to hunt down a - possible - bug. Please see
http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16572.0
and try Motion dectect option "Frame diff.". And report back, please.

chris88

Good evening,
is it possible with ML to setup the 6D, so that only ISO 160/320/640/1250/... can be activated by the ISO button? Like the 1-stop feature in the original firmware but instead of switching from 100 -> 200 -> 400 -> 800 -> ... the Canon 6D would switch in the order 160 -> 320 -> 640 - ... ??

Best regards,
Chris

kenahn

I had ML on my T3i a while back, and when I upgraded to the 6D ML was still in development. Forgot about it for a while and just discovered there are builds of the 6D available.
Question:
Is the only way to get ML now through nightly builds? I remember on my T3i there was the option for 'stable' builds and nightly builds with new features. Is that not an option for the 6D? Couldn't find this on the site anywhere. 

How stable is the most recent nightly build? released on 1/14/16

vertigopix

There is no more "stable" release.
But you can use the latest nightly without problems, it's quite stable.

chavd

Walter Schulz and Levas, Thank you for your reply.
The GPS was Off. I don't use it.
Since then I didn't experienced the same problem with battery drain.
Thank you again.

Kathode-Ray

QuoteNeed assistance to hunt down a - possible - bug. Please see
http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16572.0
and try Motion dectect option "Frame diff.". And report back, please.

Just posted here.
6DmkII | M50 | M || AT-X 16-28 | 24-70 2.8 VC | 24-105 4.0L | 70-200 4.0L IS || 35 2.0 IS | 45 1.8 VC | 100 2.0 | 135 2.0 || 11-22 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 22 | 28 Macro || Metz 58 AF-2 | Røde Videomic Pro

keepersdungeon

Hello,
I have a quick question about expo Override and exposure sim.  If I remember well when I used them before and blow up my parameters the live view mode gets really overexposed. But recently I found that the module works at a certain normal value and when it starts to get over exposed it kinda gets clamped to the latest value.
For example if I put 30' iso 6400 in a good light condition room is the same at I put 2' and 800 iso.
Did I mess up something? Or it has always been like that and I'm just hallucinating? Or it's a bug?
Thanks in advanced for ur reply

erreelle

I have installed ML 116 Yesterday and the battery is ok.

Burx

About headphone monitoring by usb on ML 1.1.6 - is it possible or not? Maybe some beta versions?

I remeber this feature just on Tragic Lantern 1.1.3 - no another way?