Canon 6D

Started by Maqs, May 01, 2015, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

JanKocbek

QuoteMy 64gb card has gone awry and demands format, in camera and in Windows. It has/had Magic Lantern on it and I'm not sure how to wisely reinstall

QuoteJankocbek do you need the data on the card?

Last time SD got corrupted I didn't need the data. Now it got corrupted at the end of a long timescape. Any solution to save the data?

Does anyone know where the seperate wav sound recoding feature has gone to?

I just updated to the latest nightly. The last update I done was a few months ago so guess a few things have changed, but sad to see some features disappearing.

Walter Schulz

?
Load MLV_SND.mo and do postprocessing to extract sound.

hmm, true. That could work. Guess I just miss the old way of doing it.

keepersdungeon

Speaking of mlv_snd.mo, is it normal to have 2 black frames at the end of ur shots when sound is on?

Levas

sound recording with MLV is a little longer than actual videoclip (at least with 6d that is  ;)).
If you trim the audio file at the end to match your video, it's perfectly in sync.

keepersdungeon

Quote from: Levas on September 14, 2015, 04:11:00 PM
sound recording with MLV is a little longer than actual videoclip (at least with 6d that is  ;)).
If you trim the audio file at the end to match your video, it's perfectly in sync.
Alright cool thanks @Levas!

CLDavidson

I have been looking through the ML website, and trying to locate the resolutions.  On a Canon 6D, when using ML, what resolutions are you able to utilize? 

hes gone

is it possible to do in camera cropping of still images? AKA, Digital Zoom?

Howdy, new account here,  but i've been reading these forums about every 6 months for the last few years. I've never installed ML.  I know that cropping was an issue before but now see that it has been worked out for video.  Hoping this means it is available for stills too. I need a 2x crop to make a 200mm lens a "400mm lens" ... don't need the extra pixels/resolution, just need straight out of camera crop.

edit: this question is 6D specific, I have older firmware right now, but am willing to update to 1.1.6

dragan-85

Guys, i just installed latest nightly on my 6D.

In 25 fps , and 50fps , its working fine. However,  when in 24fps mode , in the upper bar , where it should be showing current FPS , instead od 23.976 , its constantly changing between 23.971-23.981.

DeafEyeJedi

Does it show with these numbers changing during playback on MLRV as well?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

@hes gone, I just recently upgraded to the latest version of ML (2015-08-18) on my 6D, and used to do a bit of raw cropped video recording, but haven't come accross this feature with static shots. But I've not looked for the feature so it might be there.

keepersdungeon

I'm having naming prob on my cam for the photos instead of IMG_xxxx it's _MG_xxxx and same for dualIso instead of "Dual... " it's "_ual..."  anyone knows how to fix this. Thanks

For movies it seems fine (raw or h.246)

Walter Schulz

Color Space aRGB -> _MG
Color Space sRGB -> IMG
Use Google, please. Or read page 140 of your manual.

keepersdungeon

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 19, 2015, 05:27:57 PM
Color Space aRGB -> _MG
Color Space sRGB -> IMG
Use Google, please. Or read page 140 of your manual.
Of course, will do. Thanks anyway for your reply

pointbob

Hey all - just a cpl questions I'm stuck on. I have 6d with 116 firmware and lates1 ML nightly build.

1) I'd like to shoot h264 thru ML but when I try to load h264 it says that the module not loaded. How do I access h264 or install it on ML?
2) If I shoot H264 can I adjust the bitrate  - is it an improvement over stock Canon 6d video recording?
3) If I shoot H264 will it also record audio?
4) If  I shoot RAW will I record audio?
5) don't kill me...but what is the difference between mlv_rec.mo vs mlv_snd.mo

THANKS!!

Walter Schulz

1. Don't activate RAW settings in Movie tab and you will record movies in H.264. No module needed.
5. https://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/features

2, I believe you can change the bitrate in the h264.ini file that you can load in Magic Lantern.
Also take a look at this page: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Bit_rate

3, Yes, if you record normal h.264 it will record audio too, unless disabled in the Canon or ML menu.

4, Not by default, I belieave thats what the mlv_snd.mo file is for. Sound gets recorded in a seperate file as to video.
Remember that if you do shoot raw, your post work will take longer as there are a few extra steps you have to take before you can start editing the raw footage.

Marsu42

Quote from: 8k on September 24, 2015, 09:16:40 PM
Remember that if you do shoot raw, your post work will take longer as there are a few extra steps you have to take before you can start editing raw the footage.

The upside is that the other parts of the editing workflow are finished much quicker - because you can just record a few seconds of consecutive raw video on the 6d :-> (well, in a somehow reasonable resolution that is).

pointbob

" I believe you can change the bitrate in the h264.ini file that you can load in Magic Lantern."

That's the problem; when I try to load the h264.ini file in ML it tells me there is no h264.ini file to load :(

Hi pointbob,

What's your end goal here?
I have a feeling just changing the h.264 bitrate isn't going to be enough. While it will give less compressed footage, I don't think it will get any shaper, like the Canon raw footage does. (and you'll also need a fast SD card, like with RAW).
The downside of recoding raw (with the 6D) is that you can get quite bad aliasing and the shot length and resolution is limited (read about it in the blog post below).  But that aside the footage you get with raw is truly amazing to work.

Check out this blog post - http://djisupertramp.com/journal/canon-6d-video-raw-vs-h264/ (It's in French, but if you're in Chrome it will translate it for you)

--

As for the "no h264.ini file to load", that is because you need to create the file on the SD card, there are some examples floating around this forum, do a search. (I have never done this, so I can't really comment any further)

Levas

For plain h.264 recording, you dont need ML( with 6d that is)
The 6d has the ALL-i option in canon menu, 90mbit/s all-i h264 compression.
H264 wont be going any better/sharper than that.

For the best possible video image quality use magic lanterns mlv recording and accept the recording limits of about 10 seconds to 20 seconds per clip(SD card limit and depends on speed Sd card.
There's one thing though, for mlv/raw recording you do need to know your way around in raw image processing, otherwise your better off with plain h264

vertigopix

Your cam is configured to use Adobe RGB instead of sRGB.

Oooops, sorry, wrong post... :-(