Author Topic: Canon 6D  (Read 524447 times)

swordsmasterxii

• New to the forum
Re: Canon 6D
« Reply #1275 on: September 13, 2020, 10:05:46 AM »
Hi guys,

What is the fastest your 6D can do with SD overclock? I have the Sandisk 170mb and it can only do around 60mb/s . I saw someone posted in facebook a 650D making around 90mb

Levas

• Contributor
  • 6d - Nightly build user
« Reply #1276 on: September 16, 2020, 09:07:54 AM »
I see I have missed some post in this topic since august  ???
I still will try to answer them  :P

Levas

• Contributor
« Reply #1277 on: September 16, 2020, 09:57:47 AM »
Now I have some questions:

1) Horizontal max Res

The 2688 horizontal res limit in crop mode is hardware-related or is speed-related? Otherwise: is it possible - in liveview - to shoot continous RAW frames as in photo mode to get a full res video (even with low fps)?

2) Framing in Crop Mode

In crop mode the "problem" is framing

If RAW Video -> Preview is set to Real-time, framing is not accurate (Why?)

If RAW Video -> Preview is set to Framing, Framing is OK but not real time (and seems CPU intensive: if there's fast panning during recording, often recording stops...)

Wouldn't be possible to have a Crop Rec Mode with Real Time Liveview where the Exact Framing is showed in Overlay?
I mean: the liveview shows the whole scene (not cropped, not zoomed) and the crop is showed by a rectangle.
Wouldn't it be possible? Or the crop-mode is strictly related to zoom mode in the Liveview?

Thanks for all your work!

Question 1:
The 2688 pixelwide horizontal resolution is a default setting by Canon in 5x zoom on the 6d.
Alex found out how to adjust these default resolutions in 5x zoom a few years ago. Since then we have the crop_rec modules.
It is possible to adjust this 5x zoom resolution to full photo resolution at the cost of low fps (full resolution is about 4.5 fps).
Full resolution setting is very heavy in bitrate. A full resolution frame is about 25MB (lossless compressed 14 bit). So lossless 14 bit data stream is over 100MB/s.
It would probably work about right in 2fps.
For more practical use I made 2 high resolution low fps presets in the crop_rec module in the build you're using:
5120x2880 at 5 fps and 5120x2880 at 6 fps.
This way you get about 15 megapixel frames and the 5 fps setting gives you, with the current sd_uhs hack, almost about continuous recording.

Question 2:
Realtime framing is something which isn't figured out how it works, until a few weeks ago.
User theBilalFakhouri made some pretty good process on this recently.
Some camera's now have (almost) pixelperfect framing with real-time preview.
I have too read into this to see if it works the same for the 6d, it does seem to work different for 5d3 though.
So with the latest findings of theBilalFakhouri there might be a change to get better liveview on the 6d, but it will probably take some time  :P

Levas

• Contributor
« Reply #1278 on: September 16, 2020, 10:11:38 AM »
My main question is why is there less latitude in Davinci resolve working with dng lossless then there is with working with ACR with the dngs coming out of MLV app (the dngs coming from MLV app go into resolve too, for clarity)? I feel like I'm working on a raw photo when I work on a single frame in ACR but in Davinci it starts to fall apart or go haywire way faster.

Different raw editors gives different results. Resolve is about video so you get some different approaches to things. For video there always where Lift, gamma and gain.
Which is slightly different to photo where you have shadow, exposure and highlight.
So might take some practice to get used too and get good results.
Another thing is that resolve is made by blackmagic and probably fit best to their cameras and might not get most out of other camera brands.

Levas

• Contributor
« Reply #1279 on: September 16, 2020, 10:17:33 AM »
So far everything works as what you have mentioned. Just would like to ask, is the current build supporting h264 proxy recording? I'm experimenting the h264 proxy setting with 12bit lossless (SD overclock to 160mhz), and it crash with error 70. Just wanna know whether this is supposedly a usable setting, or just 6D limitation that can't handle this setting?

P/s: Just a wish request if you wouldn't mind, if possible to have 4k/5k timelapse video mode as currently have in EOS-M? That would be amazing!

Not sure about proxy recording, never used it. But I think it's made for dual card slot cameras like the 5d3. So raw recording on one card and proxy recording on the second card. So the error makes sense I guess (although it would be better if this option wasn't even available in the first place) :P

I didn't do anything with timelapse mode on the 6d yet, I use full resolution silent picture mode for that in combination with the intervaltimer.
At the moment if I have some time I rather see if I can get real-time preview and correct framing to work. Maybe in the future I'll look into timelapse options.

Levas

• Contributor
« Reply #1280 on: September 16, 2020, 10:22:23 AM »
What is the fastest your 6D can do with SD overclock? I have the Sandisk 170mb and it can only do around 60mb/s . I saw someone posted in facebook a 650D making around 90mb

With that card I would expect higher speeds possible. I have a 128GB Sandisk 170mb card and it does around ~80Mb/s with the 240Mhz option setting.

But at what resolution setting are you recording, you might be in a video mode that is not data heavy. Normal 1824x1026 video mode doesn't need more speed then ~60Mb/s. So could be that your card can handle more, but your resolution setting doesn't require more speed.

Levas

• Contributor
« Reply #1281 on: September 16, 2020, 10:32:11 AM »
IMPORTANT INFO:

Find out about a problem with the 2880x1200 at 25 fps preset.
If the foxus box is moved with the cursor arrows, you might get corrupted frames.
When the focus box is dead center, all works well. But if it is slightly moved around, it might cause corrupted frames.
You can see it in the behaviour of the real-time Canon live view. If your focus box is in a wrong place, liveview gets sluggish/jittery.
If you move the focus box around to a place where liveview is normal again, things are probably fine agian. (works for me).

Haven't noticed this behaviour at other presets.

yourboylloyd

• Senior
« Reply #1282 on: September 16, 2020, 11:33:12 AM »
IMPORTANT INFO:

Find out about a problem with the 2880x1200 at 25 fps preset.
If the foxus box is moved with the cursor arrows, you might get corrupted frames.
When the focus box is dead center, all works well. But if it is slightly moved around, it might cause corrupted frames.
You can see it in the behaviour of the real-time Canon live view. If your focus box is in a wrong place, liveview gets sluggish/jittery.
If you move the focus box around to a place where liveview is normal again, things are probably fine agian. (works for me).

Haven't noticed this behaviour at other presets.

This also happens on the 5D2 3.5K preset!!!!!! I noticed this a few weeks ago.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

swordsmasterxii

• New to the forum
« Reply #1283 on: September 16, 2020, 02:24:40 PM »
With that card I would expect higher speeds possible. I have a 128GB Sandisk 170mb card and it does around ~80Mb/s with the 240Mhz option setting.

But at what resolution setting are you recording, you might be in a video mode that is not data heavy. Normal 1824x1026 video mode doesn't need more speed then ~60Mb/s. So could be that your card can handle more, but your resolution setting doesn't require more speed.

Thanks. I don't know that there is an option to change Mhz. I'll check it out. Thanks again.

For N.S.

• New to the forum
« Reply #1284 on: September 26, 2020, 05:02:45 AM »
hey ,i sometimes get corrupted frames on 6D when i shot by 2480x1396 dual iso,or other high resolution,what is going wrong? when i get corruption frames,it said "data corruption at slot "number", frame "number" "

alexboum

• New to the forum
« Reply #1285 on: September 27, 2020, 09:16:04 PM »
Hello Levas,

I just try the last build magiclantern-Nightly.2020Jul08.6D116 and when I click SET button in the crop-rec menu on the advanced option nothing happen(but I don't really need it, it's just to report you the issue).
I also try sd overclock 240MHz and now my SanDisk extreme pro170/MBs card is able to handle the crop_rep preset continus (test only for 3min but it's enought for my use) 8).

Levas

• Contributor
« Reply #1286 on: September 28, 2020, 05:14:29 PM »
when I click SET button in the crop-rec menu

You need to press the "Q" button for the sub menu.
Edit: oh wait I didn't get it right:

You're right, the advanced menu is empty, I moved the interesting options to normal menu and removed the others.
Most of the others were used for eos-m, so not working or implemented for 6d.

Levas

• Contributor
« Reply #1287 on: September 28, 2020, 05:18:46 PM »
hey ,i sometimes get corrupted frames on 6D when i shot by 2480x1396 dual iso,or other high resolution,what is going wrong? when i get corruption frames,it said "data corruption at slot "number", frame "number" "

Yeah happens sometimes, 2480x1396 is at the edge of what is possible. Most of the times it work, sometimes you get 2 corrupted frames at the beginning.
The mlv clips are fine if I have that message, but if it stops recording earlier it's annoying.

I probably can make a preset that has some more headroom for the camera and will always work perfect, like 2400x1350 or something.

For N.S.

• New to the forum
« Reply #1288 on: October 07, 2020, 06:04:50 PM »
Sorry to say,i almost got corruption frames in high resolution,not just got these at the beginning but all the time.I try to setup different version ML,and the problem doesn't disappear

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
« Reply #1289 on: October 07, 2020, 06:19:42 PM »
Card in use and benchmark numbers (PC and cam)? Tried different ones?
Build used?
Settings used?
Which is the lowest resolution/bit depth/frame rate without corrupted frames?

Levas

• Contributor
« Reply #1290 on: October 08, 2020, 09:05:50 AM »
Sorry to say,i almost got corruption frames in high resolution,not just got these at the beginning but all the time.I try to setup different version ML,and the problem doesn't disappear

Can you upload/share an example mlv file or frame, just a short clip with corrupted frames ?
That way we can see what's going on and how your corrupted frames look like.

Could have multiple causes, to name a few.
-The software you are using to view/edit the mlv's (is it up to date to handle lossless compression?)
-The focus box (white rectangle on your camera screen during liveview in 1x zoom mode) is not in the center. This causes corrupted frames where a large portion of the frame is stuck/frozen and not updated.

For N.S.

• New to the forum
« Reply #1291 on: October 13, 2020, 08:31:21 AM »
Card in use and benchmark numbers (PC and cam)? Tried different ones?
Build used?
Settings used?
Which is the lowest resolution/bit depth/frame rate without corrupted frames?
Can you upload/share an example mlv file or frame, just a short clip with corrupted frames ?
That way we can see what's going on and how your corrupted frames look like.

Could have multiple causes, to name a few.
-The software you are using to view/edit the mlv's (is it up to date to handle lossless compression?)
-The focus box (white rectangle on your camera screen during liveview in 1x zoom mode) is not in the center. This causes corrupted frames where a large portion of the frame is stuck/frozen and not updated.

Please forgive me,i don't know how upload pictures so i upload to google drive.

I use the lastest mlvapp and reset the focus box ,but problems still can not be fixed.Here are some pictures,i hope they can give you some information available for reference.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zgGmLc3r9LtzTNBZAgAo8DvLMuH5kGEt?usp=sharing

01:this is the result of quick R/W benchmark (1 min) of card benchmarks.
02:this is the result of buffer R/W benchmark (5 min) of card benchmarks.
03:this is the result of memory benchmark(1 min) of memory benchmark.
04:I can get perfect files if the resolution is 1840*1036,but when i go to high resolution,i almost get these frames even no fault remind on the display when i am recording.In other words,it looks good on the display when i am recording some high resolution but the playback is bad.
05:This also happened when I recorded high resolution but it was different from 04.

The strange thing is that I used this version without any major problems. The latest version has the problem. Now I have downgraded the version, but the problem has been following me.Is there a problem with the machine? That's really uncomfortable. Hope to help me, thanks

Levas

• Contributor
« Reply #1292 on: October 13, 2020, 08:51:56 PM »
In the last picture you uploaded, I notice the fps  = 24.833
That’s not good, it should be 24.992 fps.

So my first guess is, you have some other magic lantern option enabled that messes with fps.

Do you have ‘fps override’ in use ?
Or maybe ‘image fine-tuning’ option ( shuttertime fine-tuning ) ?

The fps value in 2880x1200 should normally be 24.992 fps.

Also, try pressing the info button on the camera until you see ML overlays/information on screen. And use option ‘ML Preview’ option in raw video submenu. This way you can see a preview of your framing. Is this preview normal or also corrupt ?

For N.S.

• New to the forum
« Reply #1293 on: October 17, 2020, 05:41:37 PM »
Ok,i I did what you said and fixed my problem greatly.First,I turned off ‘fps override’ but  there were some corrupt frames in some resolution options,second,i changed option from real time to frame in ‘ML Preview’ option in raw video submenu,then,all Resolution options could be used with much less corrupt frames.Thanks for teaching!!

alt1

• New to the forum
« Reply #1294 on: October 18, 2020, 12:40:24 PM »
Is there any difference for ML builds in cameras version-  6d (N) or 6d (WG) ? Any of these cameras can use ML builds?

alt1

• New to the forum
« Reply #1295 on: October 18, 2020, 03:19:19 PM »
Can I return to firmware 1.1.6 from the newest one 1.1.9 ?

Levas

• Contributor
« Reply #1296 on: Yesterday at 09:58:44 AM »
Is there any difference for ML builds in cameras version-  6d (N) or 6d (WG) ? Any of these cameras can use ML builds?

Not sure, but as far as I know they run normal firmware.
So if they run on canon 6d firmware 1.1.6 you can use ML build for 6d.

Levas

• Contributor
« Reply #1297 on: Yesterday at 10:11:11 AM »
Can I return to firmware 1.1.6 from the newest one 1.1.9 ?

Never tried it myself but it should be possible, check out this topic for instructions
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=18941.0

You must have the official canon firmware 1.1.6 upgrade file to be able to go back to 1.1.6.
As far as I know, it's not available anymore on Canon's website.
If you need it, it's on the nightly builds downloadpage for 6d.
https://web.archive.org/web/pel.hu/down/eos6d-v116-win.zip

mineralof

• New to the forum
« Reply #1298 on: Yesterday at 10:39:49 PM »
for canon 6d there is a croprec new module like in 700d?

alt1

• New to the forum
« Reply #1299 on: Today at 12:31:16 PM »
Can I control video with smartphone through WIFI while recording raw video on 6D? There is manual focusing in programm named "Camera Connect". It is so called " focus pulling". It is interesting when camera is on the gimbal