Should I get a 6D?

Started by emphram, April 24, 2015, 08:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emphram

So... I'm still working with my T3i, I've had my eye on getting a 5D mk iii for some time now, but I just can't seem to save up enough to purchase it (seeral expenses have set me back). I've noticed that 6D are now back instock at b&h and are much closer to my price range (will still need to buy a lens for it).

Now I do a lot of different type of work with my T3i. I do greenscreen (got a small studio with proper lighting, I pull decent keys for what it is), work in lots of low light (lighting is generally poor indoors and outdoors where I live), and I sometimes I can do proper commercial work. I've seen the amazing difference in noise reduction of the 6D vs 70D, and the 70D vs the T3i, I can imagine that with ALL-I (correct term?) and say a 50mm 1.8, I should be able to do decent low light with my small 160LED lamp, and even better greenscreen in my small studio.

If your budget limit was 1500.00, would this be the best camera you could afford for the above tasks when upgrading from the T3i/600D?

Levas

If you want to stay with Canon, then the 6d is the cheapest Full-frame option.
The noise performance is brilliant on this camera.

If you can handle the video work you're doing now with a 600d, then you sure can handle it with the 6d.

emphram

Quote from: Levas on April 24, 2015, 08:42:09 PM
If you want to stay with Canon, then the 6d is the cheapest Full-frame option.
The noise performance is brilliant on this camera.

If you can handle the video work you're doing now with a 600d, then you sure can handle it with the 6d.

I have noticed the amazing low light performance of the camera (noise at iso 12,800 equiv to iso 1600 on t3i?), which seems to only be bested by Sony's A7s (which is out of my budget). But, is this the wisest investment I can make? Is there another camera I might be missing from another brand that would be a better investment? I was looking into getting a Samsung NX1, but after seeing it's noise, limited selection of lens, I'm not sure it would be a better option.

Could it be possible for us to skype?

Levas

The low light performance is amazing. But if you're only buying it for video purposes...then there are probably better cameras out there for the budget.
The 6d uses lineskipping for video so aliasing is visible. And the standard build in canon movie mode is quite soft.

If for video, you can take a look at the blackmagic camera's like the blackmagic pocket.
Downsides: eats batteries and micro 4/3 sensor, so not a low light wonder. But is capable of recording in raw dng's right out of the box. So you fix/control many things in post processing

Or the panasonic gh3/gh4, just like the blackmagic, micro 4/3 sensor. Downside at micro 4/3 are the expensive lenses. All lenses are relatively new, so expensive...

But like I said before, if you're used to working with a canon 600d...you certainly can work with a 6d.
Lowlight performance is probably only beaten by the sony a7s

emphram

Quote from: Levas on April 24, 2015, 11:44:03 PM
The low light performance is amazing. But if you're only buying it for video purposes...then there are probably better cameras out there for the budget.
The 6d uses lineskipping for video so aliasing is visible. And the standard build in canon movie mode is quite soft.

If for video, you can take a look at the blackmagic camera's like the blackmagic pocket.
Downsides: eats batteries and micro 4/3 sensor, so not a low light wonder. But is capable of recording in raw dng's right out of the box. So you fix/control many things in post processing

Or the panasonic gh3/gh4, just like the blackmagic, micro 4/3 sensor. Downside at micro 4/3 are the expensive lenses. All lenses are relatively new, so expensive...

But like I said before, if you're used to working with a canon 600d...you certainly can work with a 6d.
Lowlight performance is probably only beaten by the sony a7s

Pretty much what I had thought. I do work with a lot of low light, so thats pretty much why I can't use a 4/3 camera, I am wondering how bad the aliasing is on the 6D, is it worse or equivalent as on the T3i?

It just seems like that there isn't a better option at the moment.

Levas

For as far I know the aliasing is the same. Only the 5d III does pixelbinning instead of lineskipping.
So the other canon DSLR's give pretty much the same amount of aliasing.

I don't expect the iso 12800 of the 6d looks as good as iso 1600 on the 600d.
iso 1600 on the 600d is probably more comparable to iso 6400 on the 6d (or somewhere between iso 3200 and 6400).

The quality loss between iso 6400 and iso 12800 is very obvious on the 6d.
So expect that iso 6400 is the max you use. For extreme situations you can of course use 12800, but colors become very pale(maybe switch to black and white in post to make it more usable).

sgofferj

I have to say that I'm VERY disappointed by my 6D and video-wise, I would go so far and say that only ML makes it somewhat usable. The aliasing and moiré is extremely bad. I have had situations where I had to throw away whole cards full of material because it was shot inside in a room with fairly normal structured wallpaper. Yes, low light is pretty ok but that aliasing and moiré is insane. Until I have the money together to buy a better camera, I help myself in really critical situations with using ML 3x crop mode and a wide angle lens which helps a lot.

But... Here's an example for low light. Shot in h.264 with 24-105L f/4. It was pretty much night and the weather wasn't great.

In the Finnish version you can see the moiré and aliasing problems in the background of the interviewed girl. That's not ISO noise, that's moiré and aliasing because of the structured wallpaper...

18+ years Linux user, wolf-fan, hobby photographer and -filmmaker
EOS 6D, EOS 7D

emphram

Quote from: sgofferj on April 25, 2015, 04:52:50 PM
I have to say that I'm VERY disappointed by my 6D and video-wise, I would go so far and say that only ML makes it somewhat usable. The aliasing and moiré is extremely bad. I have had situations where I had to throw away whole cards full of material because it was shot inside in a room with fairly normal structured wallpaper. Yes, low light is pretty ok but that aliasing and moiré is insane. Until I have the money together to buy a better camera, I help myself in really critical situations with using ML 3x crop mode and a wide angle lens which helps a lot.

But... Here's an example for low light. Shot in h.264 with 24-105L f/4. It was pretty much night and the weather wasn't great.

In the Finnish version you can see the moiré and aliasing problems in the background of the interviewed girl. That's not ISO noise, that's moiré and aliasing because of the structured wallpaper...

You should buy the VAF filter to fix the aliasing problem. My  only problem with this camera, is the aliasing, and the fact that I would not be able to buy a VAF filter for a couple of months until I recover from the investment.

sgofferj

Yeah, maybe, but for the money that a 6D+VAF cost, you can buy a Blackmagic Cinema Camera or even a Production Camera 4k, which IMHO would be the better choice if you wanna do only video.

Edit:
It should also be noted that the 6D's max resolution for continuous recording at 24fps MLV raw is 1472x626 if you do 2.35:1. Less if you record 16:9... And the h.264 output isn't that great to work with in post. It fairly quickly falls apart.
18+ years Linux user, wolf-fan, hobby photographer and -filmmaker
EOS 6D, EOS 7D

emphram

Quote from: sgofferj on April 28, 2015, 10:04:41 AM
Yeah, maybe, but for the money that a 6D+VAF cost, you can buy a Blackmagic Cinema Camera or even a Production Camera 4k, which IMHO would be the better choice if you wanna do only video.

Edit:
It should also be noted that the 6D's max resolution for continuous recording at 24fps MLV raw is 1472x626 if you do 2.35:1. Less if you record 16:9... And the h.264 output isn't that great to work with in post. It fairly quickly falls apart.

I've looked at Black Magic Cinema Camera, but I really don't like their sensor size (lighting is not always an option where I go), or their fixed battery. Meh, I'll just pick some glass this time around, might as well get some better glass for whatever becomes my next camera.

KelvinK

Quote from: emphram on April 25, 2015, 12:12:18 AM
Pretty much what I had thought. I do work with a lot of low light, so thats pretty much why I can't use a 4/3 camera, I am wondering how bad the aliasing is on the 6D, is it worse or equivalent as on the T3i?

It just seems like that there isn't a better option at the moment.

6D for some reason has worse aliasing if you campare it with T3i and 5D2.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

Levas

Quote from: emphram on April 28, 2015, 04:34:58 PM
I've looked at Black Magic Cinema Camera, but I really don't like their sensor size (lighting is not always an option where I go), or their fixed battery. Meh, I'll just pick some glass this time around, might as well get some better glass for whatever becomes my next camera.

Always a good choice, some new glass :D
I'm very happy with the canon 35mm f2.0 with IS  (although I use it on a 6d, so on your camera would turn out like a 50mm...)
The 35mm f2,0 with IS, is sharp wide open and you have built in image stabilization, always good for video  8)

a1ex

Quote from: KelvinK on April 29, 2015, 12:20:08 PM
6D for some reason has worse aliasing if you campare it with T3i and 5D2.

Can you show the difference?

emphram

Is anyone here selling a used 6D by any chance?